Opinions on Ram trucks?

Timberman

Guy at work bought a 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 hemi. It had a hum at a certain speed. Was in and out of the shop for 3-4 months until they finally lemon lawed it and gave him another one. YMMV

Big7

The Oracle
I bought a brand new 1500 with the 318ci "Sport" in 1998. Had it 20 years as primary vehicle. I blew the transmission out when it was new, pulling a 18ft Bass Boat, fully loaded and didn't know to take it OUT of overdrive when towing.
THAT WAS MY FAULT, not the truck's. Besides oil, tires and brakes - I only had one issue. They preload the windshield in such a way that the glass is under stress and after the 3rd replacement, I just left it cracked. My
Dad even offered to buy a new one for a birthday present. I said thanks but it will only crack again.

Windshield(s) aside, I put one catalytic converter one it. That's all.

When I got bad sick last year, I was in a coma for 6 weeks. My family moved it from my house to my Uncle's farm so it would be not seen as "bait" and so it would be safe. He had to move it to cut the grass and it basically exploded. Must be squirrels or chipmunks ate through the gas line.
It was still running like a champ until then

Well over 300k, prolly closer to 375k. Very good truck and if I buy a brand new truck again it would be the Ram.

PS.. I'm a firm believer in Mobile 1. It is key to engine life IMO.

Last edited:

transfixer

I bought a brand new 1500 with the 318ci "Sport" in 1998. Had it 20 years as primary vehicle. I blew the transmission out when it was new, pulling a 18ft Bass Boat, fully loaded and didn't know to take it OUT of overdrive when towing.
THAT WAS MY FAULT, not the truck's. Besides oil, tires and brakes - I only had one issue. They preload the windshield in such a way that the glass is under stress and after the 3rd replacement, I just left it cracked. My
Dad even offered to buy a new one for a birthday present. I said thanks but it will only crack again.

Windshield(s) aside, I put one catalytic converter one it. That's all.

When I got bad sick last year, I was in a coma for 6 weeks. My family moved it from my house to my Uncle's farm so it would be not seen as "bait" and so it would be safe. He had to move it to cut the grass and it basically exploded. Must be squirrels or chipmunks ate through the gas line.
It was still running like a champ until then

Well over 300k, prolly closer to 375k. Very good truck and if I buy a brand new truck again it would be the Ram.

PS.. I'm a firm believer in Mobile 1. It is key to engine life IMO.

Don't forget that todays trucks are a WHOLE different animal from anything built 20yrs ago, computers control almost everything on todays trucks, and almost every part is made lighter weight now because of having to meet mileage standards, parts that used to be steel are now aluminum or plastic, any new improvements to the drivetrains were not done in the customers best interest as a rule, they were only done to either meet emission requirements or mileage requirements, the newer automatics with more gears are ONLY so they can meet mileage requirements, transmissions now shift twice as many times in normal operation than they did 15 or 20 yrs ago, basically they are working twice as hard, which lessens their lifespan, I'm not talking strictly highway driving, but normal around town use. All the electronics in the vehicles now make them susceptible to connection issues, corroded/rusted ground wires/attachment points, breakdowns in wiring insulations and contact points, etc, a lot more to go wrong than in years past, and a lot more expensive to repair when it does go wrong.

The manufacturers don't care what it will cost you down the road to fix your vehicle, their only concern is meeting emissions and mileage requirements and making the vehicle last till the warranty is over.

transfixer

What year was that?

Ram split off to its own branch in 2011 I believe, and the 2015 and newer ram trucks are far superior to the old dodge line.

True , the newer Dodge trucks are much better put together than the older ones, and from what I've seen with customers are fairly trouble free when left in their stock form, trouble starts when you add tuners and try to boost performance, Dodge/Chryslers main Achilles heel is the same thing its always been, their electronics, they may have solved some of their issues by now with the totally intergrated power module, ( glorified power distribution box) but from the mid 2000's all the way till 2015 those things caused all kinds of issues,

Reactions: Dub

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If Dodge could get the bodies figured out they’d own the market. Cracked dashboards, door hinges and window lifts failing are typical on high mileage Dodge trucks. I’d still buy Dodge if buying a full sized truck.

I don't think those are issues on late model RAM trucks. The build quality has come a long way in 20 years.

I ordered a new Dodge 1500 in 1997. My current truck is a 2016 Ram 3500.
Night and day difference in build quality.

In the interim, I owned a 1997 F350, three 2000 F350s, three 2002 F350s, two 2004 F350s and a 2014 F150.

Ford makes a great truck(except for the 6.0 & 6.7 Powerstroke, but IMO Ram makes a truck just as good for A LOT less money and has a better powertrain in the diesel trucks.
My Ram 3500 has a Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Great truck.

That being said, I would not want any new diesel outside of the warranty period.

I plan on putting a 12 valve Cummins and 4x4 into this truck when I get the time, there are 410,000 miles on the Powerstroke and it's starting to show it's age :goldf350.jpeg

As far as a 1/2 ton truck, my 2014 F150 was a great car. A 1/2 ton is not a truck IMO.

If I was going with a 1/2 ton car I'd get another F150. Akins just about gives them away.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What year was that?

Ram split off to its own branch in 2011 I believe, and the 2015 and newer ram trucks are far superior to the old dodge line.

Yeah, several years ago. Definitely before 2015.

transfixer

My Ram 3500 has a Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Great truck.

That being said, I would not want any new diesel outside of the warranty period.

The newer Cummins diesels seem to be the best out of the major 3 right now, I really like that engine, just don't put a tuner on it and turn it up, that Aisin unit won't handle it,, and you don't want to have to replace that one ! $$$

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
Don't forget that todays trucks are a WHOLE different animal from anything built 20yrs ago, computers control almost everything on todays trucks, and almost every part is made lighter weight now because of having to meet mileage standards, parts that used to be steel are now aluminum or plastic, any new improvements to the drivetrains were not done in the customers best interest as a rule, they were only done to either meet emission requirements or mileage requirements, the newer automatics with more gears are ONLY so they can meet mileage requirements, transmissions now shift twice as many times in normal operation than they did 15 or 20 yrs ago, basically they are working twice as hard, which lessens their lifespan, I'm not talking strictly highway driving, but normal around town use. All the electronics in the vehicles now make them susceptible to connection issues, corroded/rusted ground wires/attachment points, breakdowns in wiring insulations and contact points, etc, a lot more to go wrong than in years past, and a lot more expensive to repair when it does go wrong.

The manufacturers don't care what it will cost you down the road to fix your vehicle, their only concern is meeting emissions and mileage requirements and making the vehicle last till the warranty is over.

Can't say I disagree with any of that. One thing I know for sure is the 318ci Dodge is a proven engine by any mfg's standard, time tested in 1/2 ton trucks and Muscle Cars. I was planning on keeping that truck till it quit. I used to trade every 2-3 years weather I needed one or not. It had all the bells and whistles available at the time. I bought it because it was a straight up beautiful truck. I was pleased with performance so I didn't trade as I had previously.

And I'm a firm believer the mfg's (all of them) have the warranty figured out just about to the mile before they flop.

In my teen's and 20's, with a couple buddies, we could pull up under an oak limb and rebuild engine and transmission in a few days as long as you didn't need boring, etc...

Those day's are over. You just about need an electrical engineer to even get to the business end.

It is what it is. That's that.

paulito

I've got the 2018 Ford with the 10spd tranny. Good truck. Not a fan of the 10spd tho. Shifts ALL the time. Already had to have it reprogrammed due to shifting hard. I suspect issues down the road.

Oh and the auto on/off feature is maddening. If only they would add an option to permanently disable that feature. Ugh!!!

transfixer

I've got the 2018 Ford with the 10spd tranny. Good truck. Not a fan of the 10spd tho. Shifts ALL the time. Already had to have it reprogrammed due to shifting hard. I suspect issues down the road.

Oh and the auto on/off feature is maddening. If only they would add an option to permanently disable that feature. Ugh!!!

If you can find a shop that is using HP tuners software, it may be possible for them to disable it. That software program allows you to get into the pcm of many vehicles and change settings, many GM owners dislike the Displacement on Demand feature and HP tuners will allow you to disable that part of the GM programming.

tree cutter 08

Look at the tundras for the half ton class. That's what I'd go with. I like my ram 2500. The 6 speed drives me crazy so I can only imagine the 8 or 10 speed. Just a stupid idea but I'm not a truck engineer. I just use them. I do like the the 6 speed better in my f550. It seems to be on point better than the ram. What would be nice is it you could program shift points based on terrain and driving habits. 5 speeds is all you would need it that were the case.

ucfireman

The 2019 ram is a good looking truck. I am a Dodge fan, never owned a newer full size so cant comment but the early dakotas were great trucks and easy to work on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I gave up on the "American" (Mexican/Japanese/Canadian) vehicles years ago. I drive Nissan trucks made in Tennessee now, and don't have to work on them or worry about them breaking down. My first one went 14 years and 300k with almost all the original parts still on it, including starter, alternator, etc and it never left me walking. Still ran good when I traded it. I don't miss the Ford/Chevy/Dodge constant breakdown and part replacement thing at all.

Possum

Banned
I buy a couple new trucks a year for work. I own F150s, 250s and Ram 1500 and 2500s. I was always a ford guy until I bought my first dodge in 2013. Did have a Ram 1500 that had a transmission go out right before warranty ran out but that was only issue I’ve ever had out of them. My personal truck is a diesel 2500 ram. But the gas 1500 rams are great trucks. More power, better fuel mileage, better driving and better price than fords. I can’t speak for GM trucks but between Ram and Ford I’d go Ram for sure.

HermanMerman

I have been driving a 2008 Ram 1500 since 2011. It’s around 180,000 miles right now. All I’ve done is changed the oil every 5k,
Changed the air filter every 15k, and changed the brakes out once. I’ll be buying a new truck next year and it will be another Ram.

Darien1

I owned an old Dodge Ram Charger. I was forever gluing something , wiring something or rigging something to get it to shift or get the windshield wipers working. Every Chrysler product I bought was junk. I've had a Toyota Hi Lux that I drove for ever with only maintenance and tires. Nothing ever went wrong with it. I drive a Tundra now with about 90K on it and never had any problems with it. Not a single one. My Camry has over 100 K and it's never been in for repairs either.

Buford_Dawg

Between Ford, Chevy or Ram, Ram would be the last one I would buy. Seen way too many issues with Rams over the years. But it sounds like they are getting better from reading the responses on this thread. Good luck with what you buy.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I owned an old Dodge Ram Charger. I was forever gluing something , wiring something or rigging something to get it to shift or get the windshield wipers working. Every Chrysler product I bought was junk. I've had a Toyota Hi Lux that I drove for ever with only maintenance and tires. Nothing ever went wrong with it. I drive a Tundra now with about 90K on it and never had any problems with it. Not a single one. My Camry has over 100 K and it's never been in for repairs either.

Toyota has made some nice trucks over the years. They also recalled and bought back a lot of trucks and sent them to the crusher.
They kept it on the down low I guess because the Yota fan boys never mention that.

My wife has a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser it's been about average. Before 100k miles I had to replace both front wheel bearings(I did it myself since Toyota wanted $1,500 per side) and the alternator. The transmission started shuttering before 100k. It is a common Toyota issue and the transmission is not a serviceable unit.

On the other hand, her 2001 Expedition never had any issues until an old man ran into her and totaled it.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Speaking of Ram 1500s, the only two guy who I know that bought the Eco Diesel version both sent them back. The engines "blew". I'm not sure of the specifics.