Opinions on Ram trucks?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I think there is some sort of brainwashing going on with Dodge. All I hear about is the Cummins diesel. Most of the guys driving them are pulling a lawn mower or construction trailer. You could pull them with a station wagon.

From what I've seen, Ford holds the poser title. It amazes me how many office dorks drive Super Duty Ford Trucks.

I'm a poser too.

gm3.jpeggm1.jpgdump.pnghay.png

I don't think those are issues on late model RAM trucks. The build quality has come a long way in 20 years.

I ordered a new Dodge 1500 in 1997. My current truck is a 2016 Ram 3500.
Night and day difference in build quality.

In the interim, I owned a 1997 F350, three 2000 F350s, three 2002 F350s, two 2004 F350s and a 2014 F150.

Ford makes a great truck(except for the 6.0 & 6.7 Powerstroke, but IMO Ram makes a truck just as good for A LOT less money and has a better powertrain in the diesel trucks.
My Ram 3500 has a Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Great truck.

That being said, I would not want any new diesel outside of the warranty period.

I plan on putting a 12 valve Cummins and 4x4 into this truck when I get the time, there are 410,000 miles on the Powerstroke and it's starting to show it's age :View attachment 960993

As far as a 1/2 ton truck, my 2014 F150 was a great car. A 1/2 ton is not a truck IMO.

If I was going with a 1/2 ton car I'd get another F150. Akins just about gives them away.

New f150s are garbage

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
New f150s are garbage

That's too bad. The 2014 I had for a couple years was an excellent car.
I decided it was time for another truck though. That F150 struggled to tow my empty 2,200 lb car hauler.

That's too bad. The 2014 I had for a couple years was an excellent car.
I decided it was time for another truck though. That F150 struggled to tow my empty 2,200 lb car hauler.

Looks like you’re one of the few who actually need a truck for pulling. I tried zooming in on your loader. What brand is it?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Looks like you’re one of the few who actually need a truck for pulling. I tried zooming in on your loader. What brand is it?

Kubota SVL90-2. I love that thing. My only complaint is that I'll be ordering a new water pump for it this morning with 1,600 hours on it.
The good news it that I'll be driving to Winder to pick up the water pump tomorrow and I can eat at Smokin' Po Boys.

Robert28

Well, put it this way, they didn’t run shine on Copperhead road in a black Chevy or a black Ford. It was a BIG bad black Dodge!:bounce:

poohbear

I gave up on the "American" (Mexican/Japanese/Canadian) vehicles years ago. I drive Nissan trucks made in Tennessee now, and don't have to work on them or worry about them breaking down. My first one went 14 years and 300k with almost all the original parts still on it, including starter, alternator, etc and it never left me walking. Still ran good when I traded it. I don't miss the Ford/Chevy/Dodge constant breakdown and part replacement thing at all.

I'm a Nissan fan too, by accident , I came across a Titan at a steal of a price and couldn't turn it down it already had close to 200,000 miles when I bought itjust needed a work truck, I drove that thing another 100000 miles with no problems and the oil gauge was drifting down to low at idle and I wasn't expecting to last long. I sold it to some framers that I know and they are still driving it today. So you know what I bought next I found a newer model with less miles and so far no problems. Can't seem to justify buying new so for now I will Drive used Nissan

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I've had 4. Started with an 04' dakota that took me 220k. Then went through used '10. Both good trucks to me. Bought two '16 RAM 1500s on Dec 27th 2016. Got a smokin' deal on two trucks.. The price point in incomparable and they have PLENTY of power (5.7 L). The mpg is solid with the 8 speed. I get ~18.5 around town and 23 on the hwy. Change the oil and they'll run.

I saw a ROUSCH F150 the other day, im assuming $80k+ Ole boy got on it leaving the light. It sounded like Fast and Furious..

ribber

Definitely know about the old Dodge issues, but what about the late models after they became Ram? 2013 I think? I see a lot of them on the road.

pete56

I hear all the stories about Ram truck windows failing and seat problems etc. but I'm on my second 1500 with over 300000 miles with no issues and I hate to say but I abuse trucks do take care of running gear but use them to work and really abuse more than use.

doesplitter

I have two close friends in the automotive trade: one is lead mechanic at a shop, other owns his own performance shop. I've had this exact chat a lot with them recently because I've been shopping trucks as well. Call it coincidence, but they both say to stay away from Fords, particularly the newer fords, 2010+. As well, they both drive RAM's. They've really had nothing bad to say about the Chevy's.

The only hesitation I have about the RAM is the pricing. As others have said, you sure seem to get a little more bang for your buck. I hope that does not equate to using cheaper parts.

I also feel like RAM has a history of more problematic trucks over the years, but I also know they have made lots of progress as well so I really shouldn't hold that against them.

My father-in-law just bought a brand new F150 last year. 4x4, V6. Told me he paid over $50k for it. Has all the bells and whistles. Don't know all the details, but he's already had to replace the water pump and the alternator. Drove it over the holidays. Very smooth, but makes a weird hum when you get up to 55+ mph. I tried talking him into a RAM or Chevy, but he's a man of principle, and he wanted a Ford because Ford didn't take bailout money...
Ford took bailout money through their ford credit division

doesplitter

I have 2016 ram 1500 with 100k miles on it. It has original brakes. I changed factory tires at 62k. I just replaced clockspring and about to do 1st tune up. Everything else is orginal. I'm used to driving semi trucks with 13 speeds so 8 is no big deal. When driving empty it only uses about 4 and skips the rest. With my 4500 lbs pontoon it will use all which is what it's designed to do. Don't get a diesel unless you are always hauling. Also I get 19.5 mpg with a heavy foot.

ribber

I have 2016 ram 1500 with 100k miles on it. It has original brakes. I changed factory tires at 62k. I just replaced clockspring and about to do 1st tune up. Everything else is orginal. I'm used to driving semi trucks with 13 speeds so 8 is no big deal. When driving empty it only uses about 4 and skips the rest. With my 4500 lbs pontoon it will use all which is what it's designed to do. Don't get a diesel unless you are always hauling. Also I get 19.5 mpg with a heavy foot.

OP here. Definitely not getting a diesel. The truck will be a daily driver/grocery go-getter and occasionally pull my bass boat to the lake.
Looks like yours has held up pretty well.

I was (kinda still am) die hard Ford until my 2006 dropped a valve (the notorious 5.4L 3 valve) and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I bought that truck brand new and intended to drive for many years. Babied that truck, maintained it, kept it washed/waxed, etc. and at 109K miles it needed an engine. And, had a few other minor issues with it too. So, not quite as die hard as I once was.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
OP here. Definitely not getting a diesel. The truck will be a daily driver/grocery go-getter and occasionally pull my bass boat to the lake.
Looks like yours has held up pretty well.

I was (kinda still am) die hard Ford until my 2006 dropped a valve (the notorious 5.4L 3 valve) and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I bought that truck brand new and intended to drive for many years. Babied that truck, maintained it, kept it washed/waxed, etc. and at 109K miles it needed an engine. And, had a few other minor issues with it too. So, not quite as die hard as I once was.

Since I can't get what I want imported into the U.S., then next in line would be a Ram 1500 Classic, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, would include the Rambox cargo system.
You mentioned new, and wife's daily driver...what else?

Think she'd like something like this one? (no Rambox)
Ram 1500 classic harvest

I like the 5.0L Coyote Ford engine, the Ram 8-speed trans. Folks with the Rambox cargo system, once they get one, they swear they'll never buy a truck without one again. Can't say why I like the Harvest package, I guess I don't want to be like everybody else.