Optics and lights for coyotes at night?

atlashunter

I’ve never hunted predators but I’m thinking I may give it a try. Couple nights ago I was startled awake by a pack of coyotes at my sheep pen about 100 feet from my bedroom window. I scared them off but with it being dark I couldn’t have shot one if I tried. I hope they don’t come back but I hear them quite often.

For those with experience what setups do you use for hunting them at night? Seems like they would run off as soon as they saw a light but I don’t know how that works.

4x4

I’ve never hunted predators but I’m thinking I may give it a try. Couple nights ago I was startled awake by a pack of coyotes at my sheep pen about 100 feet from my bedroom window. I scared them off but with it being dark I couldn’t have shot one if I tried. I hope they don’t come back but I hear them quite often.

For those with experience what setups do you use for hunting them at night? Seems like they would run off as soon as they saw a light but I don’t know how that works.

Look up Night Crew on YouTube. These guys hunt with lights and have awesome videos!

Personally, when I was a big time coyote hunter, I used a green beam light.

I'd couple a green or red light with a scope with illuminated reticle. Decent lights can be had for $50. Decent, inexpensive scopes I've recently purchased include a Konus 1.5-6x42 and a Primary Arms 1-4x24. Both have illuminated center dots when on, black center for when off.

A good scope clamp for the light runs about $12 on Amazon. I've used this type combination out to 125 yards to harvest hogs.