Options for Lanier This Weekend w/pics

Scout'nStripers

I got out yesterday afternoon for a couple hours and from 10 till 3 today in the creek. I've got 3 tactics that's working for me this week. First is the spoon in the ditches. Between yesterday and today I probably boated 50+ fish spooning in the ditches and that's how I've been spending the bulk of my time. You can also get a few early in the morning on the rocks with the crankbait and shaky heads. That's how I've been getting my biggest this week. Water temps are in the mid to upper 50's and the wind has been out of the NW for the last few days. The lake is down 3.7 feet from full pool and the creek has a slight stain. Here's a few pics from yesterday and today.
20191206140325(2).jpg20191206164732(1).jpg20191205153345(1).jpg20191206140325(4).jpg

Last edited:

hopper

Awsome. I am only about 49 fish behind you today ;)
Did manage to spot fish, drop the spoon and pick up a nice one for the 1st time today. Keep it up and thanks for your post very helpful to beginners like myself.

Scout'nStripers

You seem to do pretty good all the time. What's the biggest spot you have caught on Lanier?
I've caught one that was a little over 6lbs on a shaky head but my wife has the biggest at 7.18. She caught it pulling a live trout on a planer board about 7-8 years ago.

Josh B

I've caught some over 3 that pulled pretty good. I bet those 6 and 7 where a lot of fun. I think spots fight way harder than large mouth. I've caught some 7 to 9 pound large mouth that just kind laid there. I gave up on bass fishing though. It's too much work. I just like to sit and relax now

Scout'nStripers

I've caught some over 3 that pulled pretty good. I bet those 6 and 7 where a lot of fun. I think spots fight way harder than large mouth. I've caught some 7 to 9 pound large mouth that just kind laid there. I gave up on bass fishing though. It's too much work. I just like to sit and relax now
The bigger spots are pretty tough. They make those pile driving runs especially after they see the boat or a net. You need to either have heavier line or a good drag system for those runs with the big ones over 5lbs. To me, largemouths fight differently. Largies like to jump more than spots which drives me crazy. The spots definitely have larger shoulders and more power IMO.

LittleDrummerBoy

The bigger spots are pretty tough. They make those pile driving runs especially after they see the boat or a net. You need to either have heavier line or a good drag system for those runs with the big ones over 5lbs. To me, largemouths fight differently. Largies like to jump more than spots which drives me crazy. The spots definitely have larger shoulders and more power IMO.

Great report. Thanks. I still remember losing a big LMB years ago when it jumped all the way over the canoe a buddy and I were fishing from. We wouldn't have believed our eyes, but there the line was - wrapped all the way around the canoe.

Spots are a great time. My techniques produce mostly fish under 3 lbs, but we only lost a couple this year to jumpers. I appreciate all the detail you've provided on spooning the ditches. Hopefully I'll get to feel a few of those "pile driving runs."

Scout'nStripers

Spots are a great time. My techniques produce mostly fish under 3 lbs, but we only lost a couple this year to jumpers. I appreciate all the detail you've provided on spooning the ditches. Hopefully I'll get to feel a few of those "pile driving runs."
Thanks, LDB. That spoon bite is a lot of fun and you get good numbers because so many fish and so much bait gathers in the ditches but this time of year my biggest spots have come from the rocks. IMO the bigger bass go old school this time of year and go to the rocks looking for crawfish or windblown bait. The numbers of bass will be in the ditches but big ticket bass will forage for larger prey. The spotted bass are a worthy adversary and fun to target.

I don't get baited into these "invasive species" "spotted bass bad" or "tournament fishermen are bad" threads because if you notice, it's the same cast of characters fishing with the same worn out argument. They just hope there is someone new that will take the bait.

As far as spotted bass being an invasive species and illegally introduced into our lakes; yes, it happened years ago by no fault of mine or yours or the spotted bass but it is what it is and there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. I've fished Lanier for the last 23 years and from what I've seen there is going to be no successful eradication of the spotted bass or the blueback herring. All the complaining, educating and analyzing will do nothing. Even if there were no limits on spotted bass and the folks that don't like them threw every one on the bank to "feed the fury critters" it wouldn't matter. If that's how you get your jollies, whatever. They are like roaches in Lanier. They are everywhere. Even with all the tournaments and all the pressure that Lanier gets and is going to get in the future the spotted bass are here to stay in big numbers.
IMO, those spotted bass put a lot of smiles on peoples faces year after year, including my children and grand children's faces and the DNR knows this so they aren't going to do much unless the spotted bass population decides to revolt and attack humans. LOL
Like I said earlier, it is what it is and I'll continue to put them back in the waters just like most other bass fishermen will do in hopes they will grow and be caught again.

Last edited:

Scout'nStripers

Good info and fish Jim! May have to slip out Sunday morning.
Good luck. After I took my motor in for servicing yesterday I put it back in the water and fished for a couple hours before dinner. I didn't even get a sniff. I went from a 30-40 fish 5 hour the day before to a big goose egg yesterday. The only difference was sunshine and wind on Thursday to cloud cover and no wind yesterday. The fish were there, I just couldn't get them to eat and they were glued to the bottom yesterday. Good luck!

littlejon

Good luck. After I took my motor in for servicing yesterday I put it back in the water and fished for a couple hours before dinner. I didn't even get a sniff. I went from a 30-40 fish 5 hour the day before to a big goose egg yesterday. The only difference was sunshine and wind on Thursday to cloud cover and no wind yesterday. The fish were there, I just couldn't get them to eat and they were glued to the bottom yesterday. Good luck!

Thanks for making me feel better, I went out mid day yesterday for a few hours and struggled. I did find bait in my usual valleys this time of year but they were all snug to the bottom. Managed to stir a few up but lock jaw was in full swing. I ran into Ben C and he gave me a nice HB hat so it was worth the trip.

Kdog

I climbed a tree this morning and my peaceful morning was interrupted by a hog, so I shot it. Then another came in so I shot it, then two more came in and I shot the bigger one. Running out of ammo so I need to go fishing tomorrow. :p

Kdog

Logan joined me this morning. I only had 4 bites. 3 on the crank bait, and one ditch fish on the spoon. Just Way too windy to fish the ditches where we found fish. Logan missed a good one on a Kietech/underspin, and had one other bite. Off the water by 11:15 to warm up.