Organizations that teach young men about the outdoors?

transfixer

Are there any organizations that exist for young men/teenagers that don't have a father figure in their life to teach them things a man should know ?

I'd like to mentor/help some young man who wants to learn the things a man should know, how to fish, hunt, about the outdoors, work on cars, how to build things with power tools, etc,etc, but I don't know where to look?

I know about Big Brothers/Big Sisters , but I don't think they're geared towards what I'm talking about, I guess I'm mainly talking about learning about the outdoors, which most kids nowadays know nothing about

BeerThirty

I'm a leader in the local Scouting organization. While scouting isn't necessarily 100% focused on the outdoors, there are plenty of opportunities to integrate many of the things you mentioned. Scouting is ALWAYS looking for volunteers. Your interest seems more specific to a one-on-one mentorship, so that would be the only drawback where you would have to split your time with multiple boys.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
It's been YEARS ago...like 10-12.
But I read an NRA magazine and one of the articals was how a woman with no husband had a boy who wanted to hunt. The woman didn't understand because nobody in her family or friend network hunted. But her boy just had a calling to do it.
She went to some sporting good stores and no one could help her.
The artical went on to say how there are cases like this every year in the USA.
I always took it for granted because my dad hunted and fished so I just hunted and fished. I grew up thinkin if you wanted to hunt or fish ya just went.
I knew if I ever win the lottery or come into some money that I would buy a big chunk of land and it would be dedicated for kids like this.
Otherwise in the meantime I just help where I can.
You've got some awesome humble thoughts and plans! I hope you get hooked up with someone.

atlashunter

I agree scouting is a great program for boys but it’s no substitute for that one on one relationship and mentoring that should ideally come from a father. Hope you find the right kid that will appreciate and benefit from your time. Unfortunately there are a lot of young men out there that need a mans mentoring and guidance and don’t have it.

transfixer

My mom and dad were separated a lot during my younger years, luckily for me they got back together when I was about 11 or 12, even though he wasn't a perfect man I learned so much from him after that, we were close, he taught me the kind of things you can't learn from books, I've been married and divorced twice, I'm 56yrs old now, never had any kids of my own, my last marriage I got to pass on some of my knowledge to my stepsons, mainly the youngest, which was only 10 initially, he's in his 20's now.

I'd just like to help some young man who doesn't have the opportunity to learn from a father figure, I feel bad for kids nowadays who stay glued to video games and their cell phones, they don't know how to fix things, build things, or the kind of enjoyment and satisfaction you can get from being in the outdoors.

Cook&Bro

Scouting was great back in the day - late 50s early 60s - don't know how they have held up in today's PC environment. Back then we had many weekend camporees (sp?), summer camp, and learned practical skills in meetings - map reading, using a compass, tying knots, etc.

There was a rifle (.22) range at summer camp with strict rangemasters. (One year we had a rabbit hop into the range and ease over to the dirt backstop. I was in line for a position but the guys in position were waiting for the rangemaster to finish up so that they could have at the rabbit. Rabbit got over the backstop before rangemaster finished his instructions. Lucky rabbit.) And hunter safety classes in junior high and senior high school.

BeerThirty

Scouting was great back in the day - late 50s early 60s - don't know how they have held up in today's PC environment. Back then we had many weekend camporees (sp?), summer camp, and learned practical skills in meetings - map reading, using a compass, tying knots, etc.

There was a rifle (.22) range at summer camp with strict rangemasters. (One year we had a rabbit hop into the range and ease over to the dirt backstop. I was in line for a position but the guys in position were waiting for the rangemaster to finish up so that they could have at the rabbit. Rabbit got over the backstop before rangemaster finished his instructions. Lucky rabbit.) And hunter safety classes in junior high and senior high school.

Scouting is still good and can be as good as you make it. The PC/social noise isn't as bad as you would think (at least in our unit).

If the OP wants to get involved, it's pretty easy. Just send me a PM and I can help with that process or try to answer more questions.

greg_n_clayton

There was a member on here a few years back that talked about a group he was/is involved with that done just that !!! If my memory serves me right, his group got with other groups around and it appeared they were going strong at that time !! That first massive heart attack affected my memory and I struggle to remember. But maybe this will rattle somebody else's memory !! It was a Christian based group/groups !!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There was a member on here a few years back that talked about a group he was/is involved with that done just that !!! If my memory serves me right, his group got with other groups around and it appeared they were going strong at that time !! That first massive heart attack affected my memory and I struggle to remember. But maybe this will rattle somebody else's memory !! It was a Christian based group/groups !!

Was it the Royal Rangers? I used to do a primitive skills program for the group that was down here, years ago.

greg_n_clayton

Don't ring a bell Nic. I do remember them having a website that had a lot of info on it. About their activities and such.

transfixer

I've not had any luck in my search, and according to the latest news the Boy Scouts have gone off the PC deep end with their latest announcement, so that's out of the question.

I think I'll have a few friends ask around their church if there is any young man without a father that wants to learn guy stuff ?

Thanks for the suggestions guys !