Ossabaw Island First Hunt

Curvebow05

Anyone else selected for the first Archery Hunt in October? Reading through the old posts from years past there are some interesting ways to carry/ferry your gear to the island along with some good advice.
Obviously no one wants or needs to give up secret honey holes but it would be nice for those of us that are new if we can get some advice on the overall Hunt and experience. What to pack, what not too bring, what was a total waste of space what saved your butt. We all know thermacells are lifesavers.
It looks like the majority of people do not bring climbers and Hunt from the ground, what are your thoughts?

vahurst

I was also selected for the first hunt. It will be my first time on the island, so I also am curious about what all I need to bring!

BowArrow

Take everything but the kitchen sink. Just kidding. Have hunted Blackbeard, Sapelo and Ossabaw for 50 years and really enjoyed but last years trip to Ossabaw was probably my last. I am 80 and my two pardners are 81 and 83. Getting equipment over and back getting difficult. Take basic camping equipment. This is hunting trip not camping trip. I had coffee and muffin for breakfast, took Subway sandwich and MRE for lunch and precooked meals for dinner. Cook three of your favorite meals and freeze them in zip lock bag. I would carry a small pot to heat meals over a sterno stove and ate out of pot. Don't think you want to come into camp late and cook. The fire rings do have grates to grill a steak for first night when you are not in hurry. Take extra replacements for Thermocell. You might need them in camp like last year. Take extra ice (Block) to bring back any game. You can hang deer or put in your cooler and place in cooler. We always carried climbing stands. They carry you out on trailers in morning, pickup 11 am, take out at 3 pm, pickup after dark. No walking to your area unless hunting in walkin area around camp. You can stay out all day. You can scout after you sign in but most areas are to far to walk. Sign in is first come. When you get there, take your chair to the sign in office and that saves your place in line. Three years ago Mathew did a number on the island and many of the big oak trees are down making walking rough. We could not get to two of our best hunting areas because the down trees. If you can, go two days before the hunt starts and you will be first in line and will not have to hurry over.

BowArrow

We carried 5 gallon water can to have water at camp site. They do not turn generator on until sign up time so there is no water.

Blackston

We always loved the “Bradley” end of the island or north end But it’s the longest ride on the trailer Bring a cushion for the ride

Jcoffey

I was also selected for the 1st hunt so I'll be there. I live close to the island and have fished, relaxed and boated around the island for years. Now time to hunt it. I'm going alone this year however if all goes well I'll try to get selected again but with my two boys in the near future.

tlee22

It is a fun hunt but take 100% deet with you. My thermcell and bug spray was not able to keep the bugs off me last year. I was very lucky that my dad had some 100% deet that saved my life. If you are hunting a big area take a deer sled to drag them out. Watch out for Rattle snakes. My dad almost stepped on one last year. Good luck everyone.

Curvebow05

Is anyone that is going this year taking their own boat? I thought about tossing stuff in a canoe, then I looked at that long paddle.

hambone76

If you don’t have favorable weather you may end up getting swamped in a canoe.
It would be worth it to pay for the ferry service provided by Kilkenny Marina.

robdobbs1983

I took a 30 plus year old fiberglass bass boat over a couple years ago... Wasn't too bad. Took one wrong turn cost me a couple extra miles. Got drawn for October archery... A lot going on in life currently. Might not make it this year. Trying though.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Is anyone that is going this year taking their own boat? I thought about tossing stuff in a canoe, then I looked at that long paddle.

The closest area is Kilkenny marina and there is no way would I make that 7 mile trip in a canoe. Once you get out in the Bear River it's a big body of water that can have big waves just from the wind. A member on here had their bass boat swamped on the trip back from Ossabaw.

Curvebow05

The closest area is Kilkenny marina and there is no way would I make that 7 mile trip in a canoe. Once you get out in the Bear River it's a big body of water that can have big waves just from the wind. A member on here had their bass boat swamped on the trip back from Ossabaw.
That's exactly why I was asking. I know about Kilkenny's Ferry service, is anyone else planning on "carpooling"? I guess boat pooling is the right term here.

Pierce87

This will be my first public land hunting\Quota Hunt heading down from metro Atlanta Wednesday what time should i get to island?

Curvebow05

Well I hate to say it, I'm going to have to miss out on this hunt this year. I was able to get my daughter here for a different week than normal (from tennessee) due to her new county's school schedule. As much as I love hunting and spending time outdoors, she is taking precedence on this one. Bags are packed and everything. I even bought a new bug net and tarp for the hammock to test out. Hopefully y'all will post some great pics of fun times on here! Good luck to all of you!

vahurst

Just got a text from the DNR that the hunt is canceled and they are evacuating the island. Maybe next year...