Ossabaw

HOGDOG76

Does anyone know the condition of the island now and how the game is doing? Got drawn last year but hurricane canceled the hunt. Trying to figure if it's worth it to try to go back this year.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
We got cancelled for the PW hunt last year but got to hunt during the Jan hog hunt. There are alot of trees on the ground which makes dragging an animal out and walking through the woods a little tougher, but I was expecting more down than what I saw. There were a few areas that were closed to hunting due to roads being washed out and they were hoping to get funding to fix at least the major ones. They had some major equipment on the island in Jan.

Hoping to go on the PW hunt this year.

Attachments

• Ossabaw 2.jpg
    Ossabaw 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Ossabaw1.jpg
    Ossabaw1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 931

HOGDOG76

Thank you Danny! We are looking at the same hunt. Did all the facilities survive the storm?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Thank you Danny! We are looking at the same hunt. Did all the facilities survive the storm?

Everything in camp was fine and I did not hear of any damage to any buildings on the north end of the island. They did have 2 main causeways wash out with one being on the S end beach rd (fixed) and the other along Willows Rd which is part of Route 2 in the middle of the island. It was not fixed by Jan and that's the area they were wanting to get funding. Area 45 had part of Graves Rd washed out so you couldn't go as far as you used to, and I think 16 and 17 were closed due to the woods rd washed out.

Hope to see you in October!

futbolwest

PW hunt moved to October

Danny, what do think about the PW hunt being moved to October? Boy its going to be hot but will it increase the harvest over previous PW hunts due to it being before the gun hunts?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Danny, what do think about the PW hunt being moved to October? Boy its going to be hot but will it increase the harvest over previous PW hunts due to it being before the gun hunts?

Originally, the PW hunt used to be around this same time. The biologists wanted the first hunt to be a rifle hunt so they had the rifle hunt first in mid-Oct, then the archery hunt and then the PW hunt. They wanted the biggest chance to reduce the deer population and that was to have the rifle hunt first. The peak of the rut is right around that time. I'm glad they moved it to having the archery hunt, PW, and then rifle hunt.

It's certainly going to be warm but I can't imagine it being any warmer than 2 years ago on the PW hunt.

I did find out today that the Willows Rd is still out so areas 41-42 will probably not be open.

Mark R

I have enjoyed hunting on Ossabaw many times over the years . I cant remember the year of my first hunt there . I wonder if there is records somewhere ? It was mid 1980s I think . Had to get paper application at dnr office . Only could take one deer and no hog . Went on first hog hunt . Ms West saw me and my brother field dressing a pig near the road and was NOT happy . Anyways does anyone know of a record of selected hunters over the years ?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
I have enjoyed hunting on Ossabaw many times over the years . I cant remember the year of my first hunt there . I wonder if there is records somewhere ? It was mid 1980s I think . Had to get paper application at dnr office . Only could take one deer and no hog . Went on first hog hunt . Ms West saw me and my brother field dressing a pig near the road and was NOT happy . Anyways does anyone know of a record of selected hunters over the years ?

You may be the reason they ask that you not field dress the animals near the road. :D I remember GON having an article stating that 1,000 hogs were shot on Ossabaw and yet hunters were not allowed to shoot them. Wasn't long after that they finally started having hunts for hogs.

I really doubt they keep any records of who was picked. We started going there in 2000 and it was a pain keeping up with the rejections and acceptance letters. So much nicer now that everything is on-line.

The nearest marina is Kilkenny and for the ramps you have Ft. McAllister, Sunbury or Demeries Creek.

Minner

We started going there in 2000

Wow, Danny, has it really been 17 years? 2000 was the first year for us as well. There have been a lot of good hunts since then. Have yet to leave Ossabaw empty handed and brought back some good memories as well.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Wow, Danny, has it really been 17 years? 2000 was the first year for us as well. There have been a lot of good hunts since then. Have yet to leave Ossabaw empty handed and brought back some good memories as well.

When you way it like that it seems longer than saying back in 2000. :D It's alot of work getting there, but it's certainly a unique place to hunt and visit.

Mark R

got selected Nov 9-11 2017 and the thanksgiving youth hunt . probly just go to the regular hunt

Last edited:

Rich Kaminski

What is a PW hunt. I am unfamiliar with that terminology.

tlee22

Sorry Danny. I will send you a report on the hunt. I am hoping it will be pretty good since they cancelled some of the hunts last year and have not been able to focus on killing hogs since they are in cleanup mode. Does anyone know when we can get to the island? Is it still Tuesday or Monday at noon? Can't wait to go. This will be my 6th trip.

futbolwest

My group was selected for the PW hunt as well. We are totally surprised since we only had 1 priority point????
Danny I am sorry also, I was looking forward to meeting your dad and the rest of your group.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
My group was selected for the PW hunt as well. We are totally surprised since we only had 1 priority point????
Danny I am sorry also, I was looking forward to meeting your dad and the rest of your group.

I may have screwed up our application when trying to see if one of my son's buddy could go. I tried adding him last week but once I saw that he had no points I took him off. I think the application got saved with no points instead of the 2 that I had initially entered. When I look at my history it shows 0 points wagered. :mad:

tlee, you can get on the island at noon Tuesday.

rogers001

Tlee - the interior of the island will look much different than it did prior to the hurricane last year. There are trees down everywhere in the woods, which gives the animals new places to hide. We were there in November last year and again in Feb this year. A bit tougher too hunt, but still lots of animals. Good luck on the PW hunt. We will be down for the hunt Nov 9.