Ossabaw

tlee22

Thanks Danny and Roger for the info. Look like they will have more trees down with Irma heading this way. I hope they don't cancel the hunt again. Google added an updated Ariel shot of the island and you can see they are doing some bridge work on the island and see a few roads that are washed out.

HOGDOG76

Rejected for the archery hunt wagering one point. Had our hunt last year canceled for the hurricane too.

jkp

We were rejected for PW hunt with priority pts?? We were cancelled too last year. Might not have the hunt again as they took it real bad last night and today again and so did Charleston.

tetonbrandy

I got selected for the Nov 9 - 11 hunt. This is my first time and I'm not in a group so any tips on gear, etc would be greatly appreciated.

tlee22

I got selected for the Nov 9 - 11 hunt. This is my first time and I'm not in a group so any tips on gear, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Kilkenny Marina INFORMATION

Website http://www.kilkennymarina.com/contact-us.html

Phone Number (912)-727-2215

Email kilkennymarina@yahoo.com

INFO from the marina:

1- How much does it cost?

- $75.00 round trip

2- How much gear can you bring?

- He said everything including the kitchen sink is fine
with them, But remember you will be the one
loading and unloading everything and he said you
will handle your gear a estimated 11 times from
your house to the island.

3- How do you like for people to pack their gear?

- He said the heavy duty roll around trash cans
seemed to be the best idea.

4- What type of boat do you use?

- He said they have 3 Boats. (2) 20' center console
boats and (1) 22' cost guard approved pontoon boat.

5- Do you operate on a hourly schedule?

- No, first come first serve and they try to get a few
people (2-6) per trip.

6- Boat drive time to island?

- 30min

7- Can we come down on Monday before the hunt and go
to the island?

- NO! GA DNR WILL NOT allow anyone on the island
before TUESDAY AT NOON.

8- Do you mail out a letter to all the quota hunt
recipients?

- YES, you will get the letter in the mail 3-4 weeks
before your schedule hunt.

tlee22

word on the street is that the DNR is are already working on ossabaw island getting it cleaned up before the quote hunt. They had a FB post about the clean up. fingers crossed.

WalkerStalker

thanks tlee22 for the helpful tips and info. This will be my first time going to Ossabaw (Nov 9-11) Looking forward to meeting some of you folks down there

hambone76

Our group got selected for the Nov 9-11 hunt.
November can't get here soon enough!

tlee22

Is anyone going on the Oct 26th PW hunt? My dad and I are going. Can't wait to go. I will try to post a report after the hunt.

easbell

It has been many many years since I've been but had a group that wants to go. At one time it took up to 3 years to get drawn. How is it now? Sounds like it has taken some punishment over the past few years.

Walk-in cooler?
Showers?
Do they still take you back and forth to areas?
Do you still pick areas?

Thanks for your input.

breadfan

It has been many many years since I've been but had a group that wants to go. At one time it took up to 3 years to get drawn. How is it now? Sounds like it has taken some punishment over the past few years.

Walk-in cooler?
Showers?
Do they still take you back and forth to areas?
Do you still pick areas?

Thanks for your input.

Yes to all of that. A new and very large building was built a few years ago after the newly rebuilt check Station (it was like the old one, only better) burned down, the new one is concrete block with big doors, very utilitarian. There are about 6 bathrooms(?) with instant hot showers, its nice. The only thing I would bring extra is something to stand on after your shower. The floors are concrete and they are wet and muddy. You need something to stand on when you get undressed and dressed. Maybe a large artificial grass doormat or something like that. It's a must for the list. Women, take note.

tlee22

I feel bad for the guys that are down there bow hunting right now. You know it has to be hot there and the bugs will be out in full force. I am really hoping it cools down within the next 2 weeks or I may just hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoons. If anyone is down there right now or when you get back please let us know how it went.

futbolwest

Check out weather.uga.edu which is an automated weather network in about 80 locatioans across Georgia. There is a weather station on the north end of the island which broadcasts live weather data and you can also pull up historical data.
Ossabaw Island is station 76. Click on past data then historical from the drop down menu then you can put in dates of our hunt (October 26 - October 28) and find the high and low temps. from 2016, 2015, or whatever year to get an average. Of course those PW hunts were in early November but you put in whatever dates you want to look at.
Yes we are looking at warm temps.

tlee22

yep it will be a hot one. futbolwest is your group using Kilkenny to get over to the island? I never got the letter from them about their services to the island like I have in years past. My dad and I will just take our boat over to the island on Wednesday.

futbolwest

No I haven’t received a letter yet but that is who we use to get to the island. I can’t wait . My original group ( four of us) has fallen apart but I found another group of retired and current UGA Extension employees to camp and hunt with.

rogers001

How did the hunts go on the Island so far. Is Kilkenny still providing the service to the island? Drawn for the 9 Nov hunt. Thanks for any info you can provide.