OTG Doe Hunting. It works!

Trigabby

I love hunting "OTG".. I didn't get my GON 'til today (the USPS says they're sorry for the missing cover..)

I've killed more deer by slipping through the woods with my dove stool on my left shoulder and my gun on my right finding fresh sign and settin' up with the wind..

Just last night, I had found some fresh rubs and (what I call) a territorial scrape... So, I eased down there and sat back in a downed tree... I saw a doe slip through that looked kinda bothered about something so I didn't shoot her and 'lo and behold, 10 minutes later I hear a few noises and I blew the grunt call... I was about ran over by a nice high, sorta wide 8 pointer.. He scared me to death by almost jumping in my blind with me, but, poor thing, I finally scared him to death.. via lead poisoning..

Getting back to OTG hunting, that's my most productive method.. I've seen more sign, seen more big deer, and killed more deer OTG than any other way... Slip into a good spot (or find fresh sign) and sit your butt down for an hour or two... Gets 'er done!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Timber,

I didn't think you were usurpin' anything! There's nothing to usurp!

Any and all experiences we can share with one another just adds to the arsenal.

Another great point to add to this discussion is the simple peace of mind that you gain from not having to hassle with a stand. You don't have to worry about falling out of a tree and the naps OTG are one of the great pleasures in life!

Relax! Stroll into the woods, find a nice place to sit & unwind!

Tom Borck

Banned
Jeff Young said:
Anytime you fire a weapon you should be certain of your backstop.

Of course we are fully aware of that, but is it possible while hunting on the ground to know what is behind the deer 600, 700 or even 800 yards? Certainly some calibers can travel that far if the bullet travels throught the lungs and does not hit bone. What about a miss? How far can the a bullet travel? For those that hunt on public land they can NEVER be certain that another hunter has not walked in on them or 400-500 yards away.

Just something to consider when hunting OTG.

BTW, read the article this morning while I was in the Library! :D Good read with lots of information. I have been very succesful hunting OTG and enjoy hunting this way!

georgiaboy

Jeff Young said:
Another great point to add to this discussion is the simple peace of mind that you gain from not having to hassle with a stand.

10-4!

Timberman

I heard that about the hassle. I carried a 10' ladder with a trampoline seat into a place yesterday and like to have died. And all I had to do was lean it up against a tree.

Jeff, It is a word I was just yearning to use. I know what it means and how to use it in written language but to be honest I do not know how to pronounce it. I don't believe I've ever heard it used in everyday language. But I knew that you as a fellow high minded Georgia graduate would grasp the linguistics immediately. :) If I may give you one bit of advice, however, it is that the next time Aaron Batson invites you to go hunting, go.

Just funnin, bro. :D

gtaff

Banned
got my rifle up and looked it over to be sure it was a doe and not a button buck.

How can you tell? I could have sworn that some of the deer I shot was a doe but guess what? The die I have shot had testicles!!! :eek: :eek: ::huh: ::huh: