OTG near misses

splatek

UAEC
I have been hunting a parcel in the mountains, foothills really, but still they are mountain deer. We all know the deer densities in the hills are lower than other places in the state, but I have been having luck seeing deer on almost every sit, compared to my middle GA/Coweta lease where seeing deer is like seeing 'squatch. I think that's because they allowed so many new members join after COVID that the parcels they lease are just way to pressured. One parcel has thirty hunters on 300 acres, but I digress.

Yesterday I decided to hit the hills for a midday scout-hunt. I've seen more deer midday than at any other time. And I have a few cams out so I know this parcel has deer and a couple, about a dozen or so, really nice, big bucks. Here are a few examples:

IMG_1012.PNG IMG_1013.PNG IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0884.PNG IMG_0633.jpg

I've been pressuring myself to get (more) meat in the freezer so last week I went out with the rifle. Sat in a ladder stand and at about 65-75 yards one of those big studs came slipping through a series of blow downs. He had a large 8 point chocolate rack. I love a chocolate rack. He came in on my left side making it a weakside shot for me. As I tried to settle my right eye on the scope and my right finger on the trigger, he just slipped a way like a ghost. That was at 1:44pm. About 20 minutes later a tall tined 8 that I have been seeing on cam (second pic above) decided to show up; I think he actually stood up from a bed, which is why I was hunting where I was hunting. The only shot he presented me was a "texas heart shot" and shooting right-eyed, I just didn't feel ethical with that one at about 80 yards.

Fast forward to yesterday. I decided to go scout (with a weapon) a new area of these hills in the forest. Not easy to get through the dense laurel thicket, but I thought this one ridge looked "worth it." I brought my saddle and platform just in case I wanted to climb, but my goal was to scout. So, after listening to a fella I never heard of - Travis Murray - on the Southern Outdoorsman Podcast (https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwiV6LXO9s_tAhUxwlkKHWyhCWsQieUEegQICBAF&ep=6) talk about slipping through the woods with a ghillie, and thinking about all the luck @sawtooth has had off the ground, I decided I would slip through the woods slowly as he described in the podcast. My dilemma came as I began to walk away from the truck and deciding whether to take the rifle or the recurve. I had both in the truck. For whatever reason my mind just wants to grab that bow. I feel more confident shooting it, even though I need to get better, and I just love the way it feels to launch a wooden arrow out of a bow that I built. I don't have a ghillie, yet, because I am not sure which one to buy and in what pattern, so I was slipping through in pants and a flannel. Moving slowly through the woods, I eventually crested this small ridge. About 125-150 foot climb through laurel. It opened into a nice red oak flat and I saw some good trails and some good feeding sign. So I stood still against the trunk of a poplar. Then this little forky came strolling along a side ridge trail. I couldn't shoot him, because I have already taken a spike so I need to have four points on one side to be legal, , but he got within 10-12 yards of me. Plus I know there are bigger bucks and plenty of does that would be good to take. Instead I shot him with my phone. He either had no idea I was there or didn't care. I did have the wind in my advantage, which was great, because I have more or less just given up with taking a scent control shower before hunting. I have seen more deer without a shower than with one, coincidence, maybe, but I might be a little superstitious.

After that encounter, I made my way through through another dense laurel thicket, thinking "how in the world do the deer make it through this stuff so quickly?" but then remembered this is their house. I eventually made it to an area that I wanted to sit, about 100 yards from a bedding area. I climbed a tree to about 14 feet and hung from my saddle. I sat for about 2 hours, saw 2 does head up a drainage ditch to the west, but out of range. Then something just didn't feel right. After about a 30 minute mental battle with myself to either stay and sit until dark or get down and move and scout, I chose the latter. I quietly(ish) climbed down the tree, threw my platform (also my climbing method) on my shoulder and started toward a creek. My main objective, because I do not know this property very well, was to see if I could walk the creek all the way to a small indistinct trail that leads to where I park my truck. I was still slipping around, because it was early, about 3:30pm.

The leaves around the creek were damp, the creek was babbling and sort of loud and the wind was kicking. I was moving virtually without sound. After getting to the creek, it wasn't 75 yards and I saw a big, brown square in front of me. A deer. Then he lifted his head and had ten of the brightest white, longest tines I might have ever seen on a buck. My heart raced. Even though I've been nailing some 30-35 yard shots in the yard, I wasn't confident and didn't want to injure a deer by trying one in the field. Then he put his head back to the ground and I struggled with what to do. Frozen and thinking about all the mistakes I had made this season. I knew I was too close to move on him and the wind had let up so I'd be noisy if I tried. So, being the total newb that I was I played a doe in estrous bleat. Just one. His head popped up and he took two steps forward and closer to me. Then he looked at me. Nothing. Then a few more step, then the wind hit me in the back of the neck and he was gone. Hopped the creek like an olympian long jumper and disappeared up the ridge and into the laurel. I followed his tracks and disturbed leaves for about 75 yards so I think I have an idea where he escaped too. He didn't blow, just bounded away.

Four of my buddies have already mentioned to me, several times: "it's rifle season dummy", "...if only you'd taken the rifle...", "you actually took the recurve!?" It's the truth: If I had had the 30-06, that ten point would've been in the back of my truck. But, yesterday was one of the most exciting hunts I've been on, and maybe one of the first where it felt like I was trusting my gut and feeling like I was on to something. I never get the heart pounding effect when I take the rifle. Never. Getting down out of the tree, midday, to go chase a hunch isn't something I've been taught to do. But it helped me to see a new area and a new, big mountain buck. I was telling my woman that shooting that deer with the rifle would not have felt right, like it would have cheapened the experience compared to if I was able to slip up on him with my recurve. I am not against rifle hunting and am not a snob, that's just how I felt.

Seems like this season is one of almost after almost. I was doing some calculations and last year my percentage of seeing deer (or bear) in the woods per sit was 14% This year I am at a consistent 77% I am seeing game almost every time I am in the woods, I just cannot seem to get over that last hurdle and figure out how to get close enough to get an arrow through another this season. Buy golly it's fun trying. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

JB in GA

Wow, you broke it down into percents. You must be an engineer...? Maybe I am getting old, but if you were having fun you were successful. I say forget Coweta and keep hunting the hills! I delt with similar feelings about weapon choice when a buddy of mine asked me to hunt his place a couple of times after Thanksgiving. He has already tagged out on big bucks and wanted me to hunt his stand with a rifle. I broke out the ‘06 instead of the bow and just enjoyed going with him. Would I prefer to have a bow and hunt on my terms? Yes, but honestly I hadn’t carried a rifle in the woods in a couple of years and it was enjoyable for a couple of days.
6B7736AE-50D2-4E01-A3AE-89A4F7268F69.jpeg

rnfarley

First - you're having an awesome season man. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Second - I bet you'd really enjoy that cody greenwood episode of the stickbow chronicles podcast from a few weeks back - He broke down all his odds of success and stuff on some tough stalks and talks about his first western spot-n-stalk experiences as a trad guy and talked about how hard it is to get out of his own head on stuff like that. Here's a link: https://stickbowchronicles.libsyn.com/empty-quiver-aron-snyder-0

Sounds like you found a honey hole! Congrats on a great hunt!!

Todd Cook

1st- I really enjoy your writing. The TBG newsletter needs you :)
2nd- That is a REALLY nice mature mountain buck in that first picture. 5 years old or more I bet.
3rd- I love the percentages. I twist numbers around for a living, so I know what you mean about the data.

Good on you for sticking to it. I've caved to the rifle at times myself. Never felt bad about it cause we eat the meat. But it's not the same as a stickbow kill. Not even close. I've enjoyed watching your journey the past couple years.

Al33

Great read!! Certainly, I prefer and enjoy hunting with my bows but I do it for the challenges and the rewards which simply do not compare to hunting with a gun. However, if it's late in the season and I need meat for either myself or someone else I have no issues with hunting with a gun, BUT, I'm doing so for entirely different reasons. I only wished I were so good at it that I could fill a freezer or two with the bow but that's not likely to happen for me. Keep doing what you love or what the circumstances call for.

splatek

UAEC
Thanks y’all
Im putting it up as a success, but really wanna learn how to get over the hurdle and knock a good one down.

Barebowyer

Great read. They are all good ones with the stick and string buddy! I have been down and out on the stickbows since my surgery last year but I should be up and ready for next season for sure, maybe even turkey season.

bany

Congratulations!
Sounds like you’re hunting ”your hunts”! You could carry a slingshot or camera and be successful. I started the crossbow a few years ago and for the first time in my life I haven’t gotten my gun out. I tagged out on bucks! Seems you’re having a great season. The reality is you could go seasons without a big kill or you could double up in one day and I think that’s what makes us do what we do. Have fun!

bowhunterdavid

Great story and pictures, you have had some real good encounters in the woods this year and i know you have learned a lot also. I would have called that hunt you were on a success. I agree with Todd you need to wright stories for the news letter.

longbowdave1

Great read, and a great season for you. Hunting should be fun, I think too many hunters forget that. Good luck on you future hunts!

Clipper

With as many deer as you are seeing it is just a matter of time before you connect with your bow. In my opinion, there is no greater thrill than taking a game animal with a traditional bow and arrow. Like Al, if it is toward the end of the season and I need meat I will take a rifle, but it's more like work than fun.

hambone76

Successful season without a doubt! I enjoyed the story! Keep at it.

splatek

UAEC
When you take the bow, you need the rifle; when you take the rifle you need the bow.

That seems to be the morale of the season for me.

Went out two days ago and saw seventeen deer and had a bear purring at me or something off in the distance. The deer didn't like that to much.

I started off early. I haven't hunted many mornings this season, because I've been helping the woman get out the door for work with the new addition - 6 month old. But this morning she let me out, because it was a weekend. Got there late anyhow as the sun was creeping over the mountain. by the time I got to where I wanted to setup on the ground the sun was up and it was 15-20 minutes past legal first shooting light.

I brushed in a good blind near some laurel and sat, still. About 10 am I hear some leaf crunching that differs from squirrel sounds. Sure enough, sneaking out of the blow downs and thicket I see a deer back, then a deer head, then 6 does appear at about 25 yards as if they were magically placed there. They work there way toward the feeding sign I was sitting over. two get to 10-12 yards. Then the lead doe starts to stomp her foot. she was looking past me into a super thick 20 year cutover pine thicket. Head bobbing, foot stomping, but she hasn't looked my way once. Literally she was looking 90 degrees to her right. Then I hear a purr - later confirmed on the youtubes it was a bear purr. They slowly veered off over the ridge. The crows were super loud; there must have been 100;s of them and I contemplated heading that way to see what the fuss was about, but really liked my spot. So I stayed. About 20 minutes later 5 doe came hauling you know what out of that pine thicket down a drainage, no bucks or I would have tried to stop them. About 30 minutes after that a lone button buck strolls to about 8 yards of me. I was moving slightly trying to stay hid behind a log, but I think he made me, because he got outta there pretty fast. It was about time for me to get up and go anyhow. On my way out I wanted to check a few cams and along the way I bumped several more deer. Two spikes and some doe. Seventeen in total for the day. Cams showed a few decent 8's and at least one bear. If I'd had my bow I might have some more doe meat in the freezer, but as this season would go, I seem to have the wrong weapon at the wrong times.... Only a few more hunting days to make it happen....