Overlanding...

rospaw

That is one nice vehicle there. What is the range on one of those? Do you know if they can be run multi-fuel? I just keep thinking about a trail I took outside of Helen one time, stumbled across it after I crossed a small river. It just kind of petered out...I have a Dodge 2500 extended cab long bed. Thankfully it is loaded with back up cams, I had to back down the trail until I could find somewhere I could turn my truck around. With a Wrangler (which is what I should say I reckon instead of Jeep) it would have been easy to turn around. I was looking at a slide-in 4Wheel camper or an Alaskan but the wheel base on my Dodge is just too dang long for some of the places I want to explore. I took my Dodge exploring out in Wyoming and Colorado this past Christmas it did good for pretty much most of the places I went though. I did not have that added weight. I still might go with a slide in if on a couple of shake out trips before I go to Alaska it is not comfortable enough for me....I don't need much. I have been a ground camper most of my life. Slept on the ground in Alaska years ago but had my tent torn up by of all things, a porcupine.

The Pinz is a legal 1 ton with a air cooled 96hp 4cly. Highway speed 65-70 max. 19 mpg, 20 gal tank, seats 10, 2-12v batt with 24v system, with out snorkel hooked up will tread right at 3' of water. (just covers my lap and coolers will float out the back) With snorkel hooked up, i need a mask to drive. (And yes i have sunk it twice) 5speed with high low making it 10 speed. Rear bench seats lay down to make a solid flat bed (great for sleeping) Great in the snow. Full factory hydraulic lockers front and rear. Built like a tractor with the engine/trans/rear end being the frame. I have put about 35k on it in 13 years. Lots of folks follow me home to ask about it. Strange for a cc guy when folks follow you up your drive. :confused:
Hard to climb in and out. Seats are awfully thin in the padding department. No AC (great heater) Two soft tops F/and rear that leak! (new top 5k) Parts are pricey. Flat windshield is awful in the rain and wipers suck (new wiper motor 385.00) Can't lock it up and EVERYONE wants to look inside of it when parked. Very Light in the rear empty. Sits high off the ground so getting in the F or B is a pain. Nervous about loading the kids in the back for even a hour trip, do to how it seats in the rear.
Lot more fun before being married!!!!!! :banana:

Have you ridden in a Wrongler on longer trip? I have and was stiff and beat up. The one i road in was a nice looking Rubicon 4 door with all kinds of extras. I was so sore the next day after a 350 mile trip. I was even cramped in width. My shoulder was on the door. (wear a 50 size coat) Storage was awful even with a rec rack loaded. Short trip would be ok at best in my opinion.

Jeep and pulling a trailer ........ NOPE not me!

My main ride since 2001 has been a excursion so i might NOT be the best at room/ride. :)
I think a pickup would be a better option

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
The Pinz is a legal 1 ton with a air cooled 96hp 4cly. Highway speed 65-70 max. 19 mpg, 20 gal tank, seats 10, 2-12v batt with 24v system, with out snorkel hooked up will tread right at 3' of water. (just covers my lap and coolers will float out the back) With snorkel hooked up, i need a mask to drive. (And yes i have sunk it twice) 5speed with high low making it 10 speed. Rear bench seats lay down to make a solid flat bed (great for sleeping) Great in the snow. Full factory hydraulic lockers front and rear. Built like a tractor with the engine/trans/rear end being the frame. I have put about 35k on it in 13 years. Lots of folks follow me home to ask about it. Strange for a cc guy when folks follow you up your drive. :confused:
Hard to climb in and out. Seats are awfully thin in the padding department. No AC (great heater) Two soft tops F/and rear that leak! (new top 5k) Parts are pricey. Flat windshield is awful in the rain and wipers suck (new wiper motor 385.00) Can't lock it up and EVERYONE wants to look inside of it when parked. Very Light in the rear empty. Sits high off the ground so getting in the F or B is a pain. Nervous about loading the kids in the back for even a hour trip, do to how it seats in the rear.
Lot more fun before being married!!!!!! :banana:

Have you ridden in a Wrongler on longer trip? I have and was stiff and beat up. The one i road in was a nice looking Rubicon 4 door with all kinds of extras. I was so sore the next day after a 350 mile trip. I was even cramped in width. My shoulder was on the door. (wear a 50 size coat) Storage was awful even with a rec rack loaded. Short trip would be ok at best in my opinion.

Jeep and pulling a trailer ........ NOPE not me!

My main ride since 2001 has been a excursion so i might NOT be the best at room/ride. :)
I think a pickup would be a better option

Well, I am 56 and never owned a car. I have always owned trucks and motorcycles (solid mount shovelheads and panheads) and wouldn't know a smooth ride if it bit me on my rear. My truck of choice for the better part of my adult life has been Ram 2500s which are not known for their luxury ride. I have taken trips in older CJs but never a JK. When I test drove it I was surprised at its ride and room, I guess I had always bought into the stories about their rides, granted I did not get it on a road over 65 mph, but I was happy with it. After a shake out trip or two, if I am not happy with it I will get rid of the JK and get a slide in for my Dodge.

Davis31052

I'm in the process of building my rig now. Its a 2003 Land Rover Discovery.

Hopefully, by the time I can retire, it will have a dependable engine to get me where I want to go.

I recently went from a roof top tent back to a good ground tent. While it looked cool and I got lots of oohs and aahs, navigating the ladder in the night for mens room runs can be a bit treacherous.

If anyone is interested in getting more info on vehicle dependent overland travel, check out Expedition Portal.com and Overland Bound.com

Also, "IamJake" on You Tube. a 20's something kid doing 50 state tour while living in two a 2 dr. Jeep Wrangler.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was actually going to ask you since you are retired now. You can do builds from bare minimum to over the top. I am going to go about midway. I spent part of today with the Jeep dealer and the afternoon at Tuff Truckin' putting together orders for some early shake out trips this coming year. Want to do Colorado, Utah and Arizona on a trip just to get an idea with what works and what doesn't. I want to tweek the vehicle and start adding camping gear. Going with multiple battery set up and solar charging panel. You and Ben can do one of those Indian things out in Montana or there abouts and we meet up near Sweetgrass and head on up to Alaska. I am definitely going to do the Dalton Highway. It was not open to the public the last time I did an exploring/camping trip to Alaska. You really need to do something like this while you still can. That is my fear....not doing it while I still can. By the way, you bring your wife on something like this, I am taking Tammy. Got to have somebody to wash my clothes in the river and clean the pots and pans......

Between my Lady and myself, if we can get these knee surgeries taken care of, we might try to do that. :cheers:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I'm in the process of building my rig now. Its a 2003 Land Rover Discovery.

Hopefully, by the time I can retire, it will have a dependable engine to get me where I want to go.

I recently went from a roof top tent back to a good ground tent. While it looked cool and I got lots of oohs and aahs, navigating the ladder in the night for mens room runs can be a bit treacherous.

If anyone is interested in getting more info on vehicle dependent overland travel, check out Expedition Portal.com and Overland Bound.com

Also, "IamJake" on You Tube. a 20's something kid doing 50 state tour while living in two a 2 dr. Jeep Wrangler.

Have you seen the modifications that Alu-Cab offers for the Defender? With that modification, straight axles, air-lock differentials and a disconnect sway bar you would have the ultimate overland vehicle, especially if you could get one in diesel. I am looking at the Gen 3 Alu-Cab roof top tent for the Wrangler I am ordering.

I am into overlanding. I just went to overland expo in Ashville i'd highly recommend it if you are into overlanding at all. The gear, the people, and the area make it a worthwhile drive..

Also a bunch of great you tube folks to see how its done. Check out expedition overland and watch some of their journeys. I can't believe it hasn't caught on more here yet either. I think it will eventually.

660griz

Dodge Power Wagon. Biggest winch you can fit. Camper shell.
2 or 3 spare tires. High lift jack. Done. :)

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Spend a little time reading through this thread, then go up to the parent forum "Expedition Vehicles"
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/80929-A-backcountry-trip-to-Utah-sells-the-wife-on-overlanding!

On a recent camping trip a family dropped into the site next to us in a 1980's diesel, right hand drive Toyota Land Cruiser with a Maggolina roof top tent and a handful of hammocks for the teens. They were just stopping for the night on the way to the next adventure. We still use the old Ford van and our cargo trailer conversion, but our full sized Montero might get put into service with the kids out of the house...?

Vans? this guy has 4WD conversions figured out right. Near Asheville, NC
http://ujointoffroad.com/

Last edited:

cjones

Overlanding is what I enjoy about off-roading as well. I have a mildly modified Jeep (03 TJ with 4" lift and front locker). So far (knock on wood) I haven't been able to get into anything that I couldn't get out of in N. Ga mountains. I like to get out and explore and just see where little narrow roads that nobody goes down go.

Before we moved to Georgia, my wife and I drove the Jeep from Iowa to Colorado (~12 hours one way) for a friend's wedding. We took the Jeep so we could check out some trails while we were there. The Jeep was good for just the two of us, but I don't know how well it would have done if we had been packing camping gear and food for several days on the trail along with replacement parts and tools that you would want to have available if you were going that far 'off the grid'.

We had a Grand Wagoneer that I sold for WAY too cheap because I couldn't get it to pass emissions without a lot of work and it had the dreaded frame rot that I was not prepared to deal with. That thing would have been good for long-range off road trips. It rode like a couch on the highway, had enough capacity to haul whatever you could fit in it, and with only slight mods, it could have been a great trail vehicle. I just didn't have time (or money) to work on it at the time.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Overlanding is what I enjoy about off-roading as well. I have a mildly modified Jeep (03 TJ with 4" lift and front locker). So far (knock on wood) I haven't been able to get into anything that I couldn't get out of in N. Ga mountains. I like to get out and explore and just see where little narrow roads that nobody goes down go.

Before we moved to Georgia, my wife and I drove the Jeep from Iowa to Colorado (~12 hours one way) for a friend's wedding. We took the Jeep so we could check out some trails while we were there. The Jeep was good for just the two of us, but I don't know how well it would have done if we had been packing camping gear and food for several days on the trail along with replacement parts and tools that you would want to have available if you were going that far 'off the grid'.

We had a Grand Wagoneer that I sold for WAY too cheap because I couldn't get it to pass emissions without a lot of work and it had the dreaded frame rot that I was not prepared to deal with. That thing would have been good for long-range off road trips. It rode like a couch on the highway, had enough capacity to haul whatever you could fit in it, and with only slight mods, it could have been a great trail vehicle. I just didn't have time (or money) to work on it at the time.

The first thing I am doing with the jeep is overhauling the suspension and getting 2 1/2" lift. I will not go with tires over 35". I rode in a jeep on the highway with the same lift and tires I plan on getting and it was surprisingly comfortable. I got it up to some good speeds to 75 mph+. With the Fox shocks and really heavy duty springs it should be alright with the weight I plan to have...if not I will put in airbags to help.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I have Lexus GX470 so I've looked around in the overlanding stuff from time to time. I haven't made any modifications to mine but they are a great base vehicle to start with. They are starting to get more popular but have kind of flown under the radar as far as a capable 4x4. It's like a V8 4x4 4Runner with more headroom. I hunt all over the state out of mine.

Most of them have been driven by soccer moms with scheduled maintenance at the dealership. I bought mine with 80k on the clock but wouldn't flinch at buying one with 150k with a good carfax, service history, and timing belt replaced. I would stay away from the navigation equipped vehicles (most) though. Some of the HVAC controls are through the screen which could be an issue down the road. Navigation also makes it prohibitively complicated/expensive to change the radio headunit for bluetooth, iphone, etc connectivity.

3 inch lift, larger tires, ditch the running boards for sliders, and you're ready to go for pretty cheap. More companies have also started manufacturing bumpers and swingouts for them as well.

lbzdually

Banned
What about a regular cab longbed 4x4 Silverado if it's just 2 people? Do a camper top and take the back window out and seal it up with an accordion seal. Small lift and 33 inch tires with front locker and add a winch. If you have a camper top with the roof you can raise, you can easily stand up back there and do a sliding storage box under the bed. Truck will get 17-19 mpg on the highway and with a 34 gallon fuel tank is a much better long range option. Parts are super plentiful for the 5.3 and fairly cheap vs land rover or older Toyota Land Cruiser.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
What about a regular cab longbed 4x4 Silverado if it's just 2 people? Do a camper top and take the back window out and seal it up with an accordion seal. Small lift and 33 inch tires with front locker and add a winch. If you have a camper top with the roof you can raise, you can easily stand up back there and do a sliding storage box under the bed. Truck will get 17-19 mpg on the highway and with a 34 gallon fuel tank is a much better long range option. Parts are super plentiful for the 5.3 and fairly cheap vs land rover or older Toyota Land Cruiser.

They are making some interesting camper options for pickups now. I am waiting for a long bet AT Off Road vehicle habitat for long beds. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 full cab long bed truck. After I trick out my jeep I will probably get air lockers, both front and back for it, then start building on it too.

cjones

The first thing I am doing with the jeep is overhauling the suspension and getting 2 1/2" lift. I will not go with tires over 35". I rode in a jeep on the highway with the same lift and tires I plan on getting and it was surprisingly comfortable. I got it up to some good speeds to 75 mph+. With the Fox shocks and really heavy duty springs it should be alright with the weight I plan to have...if not I will put in airbags to help.

Jeeps can do highway speeds if lifted correctly and worn parts replaced. With my 4" lift and 33" aggressive AT tires, I set the cruise at 80 and cruise. It can't hold that speed up hills with the 3.73 gears, but it's not too bad.

greg_n_clayton

Didn't read all the posts, but, I have been seeing some modified 4x4 vans that are awesome. Like the tiny house of RVs. Some folks told me they they traveled out west and picked theirs up. But that there is some folks in Asheville, B.C. that customizes them.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Well, I took delivery of my 2018 JKUR (four door Rubicon) a couple of weeks ago and have started the build. The first thing I did was replace my battery with a Genesis Off Road Dual Battery system with a 200 amp isolator. This is a great set-up that runs all your electronics, winch, etc.. off of a separated deep cycle battery and isolates your cranking battery. The next thing I did was mount ARB differential breather tube lifts to bring my differential breathers and the breathers from my transfer case and transmission right under the hood in the engine compartment so I won't get mud or water in my axles and transmission if I happen to have to cross water. I then put on a 2 1/2 inch Old Man Emu lift and replaced my shocks with Fox 2.0 shocks. This lift is made in Australia for over land vehicles, they are made to handle the weight...it really is a beefy suspension and it handles great at highway speeds of 80mph whether loaded down or not. I have replaced both front and rear bumpers with Smittybilt bumpers and for the rear got a heavy duty swing out spare tire mount with storage spaces for jerry cans, hi-lift jack and other sundry items with a 200lb capacity basket above the tire. I mounted a Warn 10K zion winch with synthetic line on the front bumper. I then mounted an AEV Snorkel more for a cool air intake than anything, but it will keep me from getting hydro-locked if I do cross streams that might be a wee bit deep. I also have a portable ARB double compressor with a 3 gallon tank for my air needs...it is amazing, I can pump my 80lb tires on my Ram 2500 faster than I can at an tire shop. I have ordered a bunch of power outlets for both front and back along with a 1500 true sine inverter that I hope to have next week to start setting up my "power grid" throughout the truck. My next items will be a storage system for the back and a 50qt fridge/freezer on a slide out. I am experimenting with some RTTs I have access to, but I am in the process of talking with Ursa Minor about a J30 replacement top for my wrangler. I took the Jeep out today to see how the lockers work and the disconnect sway bar works, the Rubicon is a beast in both the mud and sand along with climbing over obstacles. You might notice I have not said anything about tires...which is generally one of the first things people do when they get a Wrangler...I am waiting to see how these tires and the lift handle all the weight before I pull the trigger on new shoes for my jeep. I will try to take some pictures this weekend.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Jeeps can do highway speeds if lifted correctly and worn parts replaced. With my 4" lift and 33" aggressive AT tires, I set the cruise at 80 and cruise. It can't hold that speed up hills with the 3.73 gears, but it's not too bad.

Mine is a Rubicon with 4:10 gears and a manual 6 speed so on the highway 80 mph is no problem. I only went with a 2 1/2 inch lift, but it is a beefy one. I got the Fox 2.0 shocks that give a great ride.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
My JKUR is steadily being added to. I took it out to Colorado and New Mexico back in July and had a blast. I rode on some trails I would not have even attempted in any other vehicle I have owned in the past. I saw a number of vehicles, to include some Toyotas have some issues on one of the trails. Camped the better part of a week above 10k ft, along little blue line trout streams with no other campers in sight. It is easy to get away from others out there in all the National Forest land available to explore and camp in. I ordered a Goose Gear Plate kit for the rear and a 2/3d rear seat delete along with a fridge slide. I am having a hard time finding the exact Fridge/Freezer I want though. I have decided pretty much on the Engel 45 qt. dual zone one...with both freezer and fridge. I tried to upload some photos but it appears they have changed the way to do it since I last uploaded some on GON and cant figure out how to do it.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I would like to get into it myself. Been lookin on you tube at stuff. Go to YouTube and check out a fellers page named Jason koertge. Pretty informative and he has a neat setup.