Padded coil spring trap question

beardsnbones

New to trapping this year and need to get rid of a lot of coyotes, are padded coil spring traps worth the chance of losing a catch for less damage to the animal in the case of catching a non target like a house dog (which are not uncommon where we hunt) or would the offset Bridger no2 be better? I know lots of guys like the mb450 and 550 offset. Thanks for any replies!

furtaker

I've never used a rubber jaw trap but from what I've read they are no easier on the animal. Some people say they increase foot damage. Choose a trap with thick laminated or cast offset jaws and you will be fine.

jakebuddy

MB 550 offset 2 coil, all day everyday twice on the weekends. If this is your first year check out coyote trapping school on YouTube lots of good information. Good luck let me know if I can help. Be sure to carefully go over the regulations on trap size before you buy traps.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
caught several dogs in a MB550 2 coil with about 18 inches of chain and a shock spring and 2 or 3 swivels. no damage they dont fight the trap like a coyote does all the ones i caught were curled up asleep when i got there. turned them loose and they walked home.

one was from a house a couple of MILES away as the crow flies you'll be surprised how many dogs are out wandering around.

furtaker

I turned the neighbor's dog loose from an MB 650 a couple years ago and he was fine and dandy.