Paddle or Peddle for Fishing

cycler

Newbie here, want to kayak fish when we move to Georgia next month. Would appreciate comments or thoughts on which you prefer for fishing from a kayak; paddle/pedal and why. Thanks in advance, cycler

fish hawk

Bass Master
It all depends of what type of water you'll be fishing.Will you be fishing large lakes,rivers,bays the ocean or will you mainly be fishing small creeks,small lakes,ponds or rocky rivers?

Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
If stripers are your goal and you'll mainly be fishing lakes then you'll probably be better off with a peddler.Peddle kayaks are generally more stable,offer hands free fishing and you can gain more speed with less effort.Some of the down sides to a peddle kayak are price,weight and they are not very practical for fishing smaller waters or river with a lot of shoals.The up side to paddle kayaks are price,weight and being able to access waters where peddling is not pratical,although companies are now offering peddle kayaks in smaller platforms and lower weights.

cycler

If stripers are your goal and you'll mainly be fishing lakes then you'll probably be better off with a peddler.Peddle kayaks are generally more stable,offer hands free fishing and you can gain more speed with less effort.Some of the down sides to a peddle kayak are price,weight and they are not very practical for fishing smaller waters or river with a lot of shoals.The up side to paddle kayaks are price,weight and being able to access waters where peddling is not pratical,although companies are now offering peddle kayaks in smaller platforms and lower weights.

Thanks for the info. All new to me and your insights are appreciated.

Rabun

All good information above. I chose a SOT paddle kayak that I can get on/off the roof rack by myself...I wanted some aspect of portability. Also got a pair of wheels that mount through the scupper holes for wheeling kayak to the water. I have a boat too, but do love to fish out of the kayak.

fish hawk

Bass Master
One of the best piece of advice I can give you is to go to some local kayak shops that let you demo and paddle or peddle as many as you can.All kayaks are differant and you really wont know what will suit your own particular needs until you spend some time in them

cycler

One of the best piece of advice I can give you is to go to some local kayak shops that let you demo and paddle or peddle as many as you can.All kayaks are differant and you really wont know what will suit your own particular needs until you spend some time in them

Sounds like a good idea, we will try to do that. Thanks again.

i like the peddle too because you can fish in the wind without having to constantly paddle with your hands and hold yourself in place.
I just bought a used Native Slayer Propel 10 and I love it. having only ever fished in paddle kayaks before, I love it.

extremely stable, and can go for miles, which i never could do paddling by hand

CutNRun

I've not fished from a peddle kayak so far, though I want to. I've owned a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 (12 foot) sit inside paddle kayak several years that I rigged up for fishing. I added 4 Yak Attack zooka tube rod holders, a Lowrance Hook 4X depthfinder, and a Visicarbon pro safety flag/light combo. I usually troll crankbaits or drift jigs for crappie 90% of the time I go fishing. I always fish lakes or deeper rivers & haven't used an anchor.

Last Fall, a guy in a bass boat was running down the lake around 60 mph didn't see me until he saw my waving paddle at the last minute. He cut it way closer than it needed to be. It was a pretty high pucker factor. Even if you just get a bicycle flag, make sure you're as easily seen as possible if you intend to fish near power boat traffic.

Jim

weagle

Of course the correct answer is always "get both"
80% of my fishing is suited to my SOT 10 ft paddle Kayak, but I plan to get a bigger peddle Kayak to use on the larger watershed lakes. The Peddle kayaks give you the ability to cover water more easily and a smaller paddle kayaks can be more maneuverable and easier to transport. Everything is a trade-off.

RamblinWreck

PEDAL

:cool:(y)(y)(y)(y)