Paleos

Bow Only

There are 4 Paleos in this pic and they are the points in the bottom left, center left, center, and center bottom. A few of the other points may be old, but I don't consider them Paleos. Three of the Paleos came from the only Paleo site I ever found. It was located on a hill leading down to a bottom that had springs in it. On the hillsides, the dirt had eroded into several washes that were around 6 feet deep and went all the way to the hard pan. The Paleos were found in the washes and there were numerous other cultures represented in that site's artifact assortment.

The point that is center left is a unique point. Many would consider it a Dalton because of its shape but IMO of 40 years of artifact hunting, it was made prior to most Daltons and I would put it in the middle Paleo time period. I've found Daltons over the years and that is not one of them. They aren't as old as that point. Most of the Daltons I found were early Archaic.

When I go back to Florida, I often pass that Paleo site and see that part of it has cows on it now, but the washes still remain. That site had many occupations with lithic scatter over at least 25 acres. That site is the only site my grandmother ever looked and she did find a point there. My mother found one of the Paleos and it is one of the only points she has ever found. (amazing considering she would go and look with us and my Dad and I would find 25 or 30 between us and she would find nothing.)

Attachments

• Paleos.jpg
    Paleos.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 95

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Paleos were the ones I was waiting for you to show. Very nice.

kwayne

Matt, you have an awesome collection. The photos you are posting with the supporting stories make it even better. Thanks for sharing!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those are some fine points. The one you were talking about looks like what they call an Alamance up here in NC.

tad1

Awesome!, Matt what characteristics do you think separates it from a Dalton?
I'm constantly confused by trying to type points that don't quite fit the "typical" profile. Like the lines are blurred.

Bow Only

Awesome!, Matt what characteristics do you think separates it from a Dalton?
I'm constantly confused by trying to type points that don't quite fit the "typical" profile. Like the lines are blurred.
I am not the premier expert on Paleos, I'll defer to Son on those. Characteristics that define Paleos and other points for that matter, are patina, depth found, shape, flaking style, and hafting treatment. We know Paleos have ground bases, they often have center line or over strike flaking, they are more robust, and often have a patina reflecting their age. The basal grinding is significant. I've found Woodland points with basal grinding, but it's not the same as a Paleo's. Paleos are just different looking and not the norm. Out of many thousands of points, I have four. They just aren't common for surface collectors although some hard pans are shallower than others which really helps surface collectors.

Sixes

I would of thought Hardaway on the middle left, what do you consider the middle point? a Simpson?

I wish I could still find places to look, I used to find a ton of them around home during the construction boom, but now, when subdivisions are cut in, they level the ground immediately and boom, the lookin is over.

Bow Only

Hardaway isn't as old as that point. It's just worn out and has that shape. Middle one is a Simpson.