Paroxysmal finger hematoma?

Artfuldodger

I've been busy redoing our laundry room. Took some old wooden shelves down, taping, mudding, sanding cracked joints, etc. Plus painting ceiling, walls, and trim.

Anyway I'm a bit out of shape and not use to this much work. I haven't did a home project of this caliber in a while.

I've got a bit of arthritis but nothing major. That plus not using my hands for sanding, etc., they are a little tired.

So getting to the point, I was using a nut driver to remove my dryer vent hose and my middle finger hurt like crazy. I think it was even after I had the hose off.
I didn't really do anything that damaged my finger.

It swelled up a bit and the next day was a bit purple.
I Googled it and it may be a finger hematoma or Achenbach syndrome.
Achenbach syndrome is a benign self-limiting condition of sudden unexplained bruising of the hand or fingers. It is more common in women then men and the middle and index fingers are most affected.

Typically the palm side of the finger shows the bruising after a sudden episode of pain or itching, and there maybe swelling and coldness of the area. The fingertip is usually not involved. The bruising resolves in a few days.
Achenbach‘s syndrome, also known as paroxysmal finger hematoma, is a rarely reported clinical disorder with recurring, sudden bruising of the volar part of a finger, appearing spontaneously or after minor trauma and resolving completely within days.

The very next day the pain and swelling were gone but it's still purple like a bruise.

I guess it was a blood vessel or capillary that busted and leaked a bit of blood in my finger. Weird.

Anyone else ever had one of these?

Last edited:

T-N-T

I have a blood vessel in a finger that will swell and hurt on occasion. After a blunt trauma or over working of that finger
Not as a extreme as you describe I don't guess. But it is an ache I don't like.