Passing time in the deer stand

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I almost always read a good book while on stand. If the leaves are dry I will, if it is wet I will not. Gotta hear em coming:D Will read a line or 2 and scan the terrain.

Yeah, yeah I know I may be missing deer, but I normally see a whole lotta deer from stand.

Jim

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
ncman,

I would honestly say yes. My step granddad through out some bird seed in the off season at his deer lease and put his camera out.

You wouldn't believe the amount of deer he had pics of eating that stuff!!! He also got a cardinal at 2:00 am eating it!!! Plus a skunk, opossum, coyote, rabbits, and squirrels. Everything in the forest was enjoying it!!

I wouldn't do it.

Tommy

littlewolf

Ebb and flow

Mostly look..glass..think..snooze..repeat...

Got me wondering though. Sometimes I'll be sitting there in my stand and it just FEELS like I'm gonna see something right then or real soon. Sometimes it ends up just being squirrels coming out or birds starting to call..occasionally its actually a deer :) And then the woods can just feel totally dead for a few hours until it happens again..

Does anybody else feel like there's kind of an ebb and flow to the woods every few hours? Or am I just spending too much time up a tree ;)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
littlewolf said:
Mostly look..glass..think..snooze..repeat...

Got me wondering though. Sometimes I'll be sitting there in my stand and it just FEELS like I'm gonna see something right then or real soon. Sometimes it ends up just being squirrels coming out or birds starting to call..occasionally its actually a deer :) And then the woods can just feel totally dead for a few hours until it happens again..

Does anybody else feel like there's kind of an ebb and flow to the woods every few hours? Or am I just spending too much time up a tree ;)

Happens so often and turns out to be true so often that I NEVER ignore that little gut feeling that says DEER!

Jim

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Like to take material from school with me to study. Also will snooze a little, but mostly pay attention to the surroundings and looking for wildlife.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
watch and enjoy

all the other wildlife, whether it's Black Throated Blue Warblers migrating through in Bow Season, or seein' Otters playin in my swamp in Nov/Dec........there is SOOO much nature to enjoy......and feelin' the cold air in my lungs on a clear, cold December day..........enjoyin' God's woods rocks!! :) :) :)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
littlewolf,

I think their is an ebb and flow. Usually right at daybreak, all the nocturnal creatures are getting back to their beds, and all the daytime creatures are getting up. Squirrels crawling out of their nest, birds getting off their little roost's. Everything comes alive and it's awsome. Then after a couple of hours, everything quiets down, maybe a woodpecker pecking or a squirrel barking. Soon after a while, everything picks back up again. A flurry of carolina chickadees and some tufted titmouses fly in, and start raising a ruckus, then squirrels come out of knowhere and start chewing pine cones, hickory nuts, etc......... A pileated woodpecker comes in and shows all the other woodpeckers how to really take some bark off a tree, and maybe, just maybe, a flash of brown, then a little white, and then a tail wag, soon the blood is flowing, the heartbeat rises, and the grip on the bow or rifle gets ever so tighter.

Man, I can't wait till this deer season.

Tommy