Patches on your jeans

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Momma always made most of our clothes. She was good at it too. She would go to the Piece Goods cloth store and buy patterns for them, she also bought the little tags that went in the back of the collar so the other kids wouldn't pick on us for wearing home made clothes. I tore up everything I wore. Daddy found a pair of them tough skins at a yard sale and I never could wear them out. Mine were green. That's about all I ever wore round the house in the summer time. The good ol days.

Your Momma must have been a pretty dang good seamstress. My hat is tipped to her.

Hillbilly stalker

She sure was, she had a old pedal sewing machine, I'm thinking it was a Singer ?. She made stuff for a lot of the folks on the ridge. You couldn't tell the difference. She made quilts too. Taught herself.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
My kids don't have a pair a jeans. School system doesn't allow it, plus they wear shorts 12 months of the year. I promise you- if they had jeans, they'd outgrow them long before they busted the knees. To say things are different these years is a huge understatement.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My mom wasn’t wasteful. She’d slap on an iron on patch and back it up with stitching around the edges on jeans.

NOYDB

BANNED
When we lived in Singapore. Shirts were Batik and very light weight. Useful during monsoon season. Also wore around the house an Indian (subcontinet) Saree. Which was like a tube of fabric you rolled up around your waist. And left open to the breeze. Again useful at 90+ degrees and humid.

Oldstick

Roebucks, from the mail order catalog.

Yep those look familiar. Plenty of roll up so you could get a least a good year or two's worth of growing at that age. They were so stiff when brand new, I thought I was headed down the ladder for a moon walk.

Last edited:

GoldDot40

The only jeans my mother would buy me were Toughskins from Sears. Those things were like wearing cardboard. You could just about take them off and get them to stand up. They were so uncomfortable
Your knees would wear out before tuffskins would
If John F Kennedy would have been wearing Tough Skin blue jeans on his head...he might still be with us. ~ Rodney Carrington

Oldstick

I think J.C. Penney catalog had a version of Tough Skins as well. Can't remember what they called them, but I sure sure dirtied up several pair of those pumping gas and at the tobacco barns over the course of a few years.

Dub

Speaking of old jeans.......I like what Jennifer Lopez has going on with her line of jeans.

Gotta a little something oldschool.....and new style.

ryanh487

if you ever had a pretty girl in a pair of those jeans with holes close enough to the right places riding in the middle seat of your pickup, you wouldn't have another bad thing to say about 'em.

LTZ25

if you ever had a pretty girl in a pair of those jeans with holes close enough to the right places riding in the middle seat of your pickup, you wouldn't have another bad thing to say about 'em.
Memories !!! Me and my girl almost had a wreck driving distracted , and I can assure you we were NOT texting!!!