Patient Satisfaction Based Reimbursement (2018)

lbzdually

this is absolute false. no professional registered nurse will lose their job for not fetching coffee for a family member. show me a hospital that has a policy in writing stating this. i dont believe you.
I didn't make it up and neither did she and I don't like the implication either. I'll PM you the hospital name and you can call Monday. I just talked to her and she said it not a written policy, but she was advised by overhouse of the entire department that it was part of their job for the labor and delivery part. other parts of the hospital may have different policies, but that is their's.

NOYDB

this is absolute false. no professional registered nurse will lose their job for not fetching coffee for a family member. show me a hospital that has a policy in writing stating this. i dont believe you.
I do.

When Holiday Inns started their satisfaction guarantee "Everything will be right or your stay will be free" I watched people go to the dog walk next dog and pick up dog doodoo to place in their room to blame the maid for not cleaning the room correctly, and they wanted their free night.

I have seen cos expect employees to do whatever they are asked for or it's their fault and they have failed in their job no matter how ridiculous and unreasonable it may be. Management in those places don't care, as long as metrics showing satisfaction of customers is reported as positive. No it's not in writing, they don't leave themselves that exposed. In writing it will be that employee is required to meet positive customer expectations. And failure to do so can result in termination.

Patriot44

Thread starter #43
Like many other companies, we went off the deep end into the NPS thing a few years back. I remember sitting in two seminars and listening to speakers tell us about the value of NPS.

The first one to preach to us used Zapo's as his example and the second one used Ritz Carlton. It sounded really, really good and it seemed to work for them.

Then when we did not get the results that we ("suits") thought they were going to get, I dug a bit deeper and still to this day believe I know exactly the difference.

You see, womend sitting at home after Tennis class day drinking wine are who is using Zapos.com, not some stressed out technician with seven patients looking at her beating her down like there is no tomorrow.

Same with Ritz, people are more likely to fill out nice survey's when they are happy. At least for our industry, people really don't fill out survey's unless they are ticked off about something.

I will be honest too, when I am at the Dr., the last thing I want is an iPad stuck in my face when I am checking out. I want to get out and go about my business. But this still doesn't address the question, "do people know what they are getting into when they demand patient satisfaction over convenience"? I would suggest not and I think this is a good hint at where I was going.

I might need some help on my survey. I went in for a stress test with chemical and I wound up in venticular fibrilation. They stressed my heart and I didn't die,so is that a positive report on them?

NOYDB

Chrysler dealers get the monicker as 5 star dealers if they get enough positive surveys returned.

Sales people are instructed/required to solicit positive surveys from their customers. It's so accurate and valid.

The service department gets surveys sent out to any new car serviced.

They learned that a survey recipient was more likely to return a positive survey if they bought the car there. But people that bought from another dealer were more critical and more likely to send in complaints. So if you didn't buy there, they would attempt to steer you back to the place where you purchased the car. Good luck getting a timely service appointment.

Through several industries I have seen how front line management games the system to placate upper management who bought the consultants pushing satisfaction metrics as the latest thing.

For a number of years I worked in hospitals and one of the major problems is the fact that the patient of the new milennium does not differentiate between a hospital and the Marriott! I worked in maternity where I must say hospitals have done their share to encourage this attitude. Celebratory special meals for the new mom and dad after the delivery of their little one, afternoon tea cart with some finger foods to hold one over 'til dinner! Most hospital ( at least where I have been) have spent millions upon millions to provide their maternity patients with all the comforts of home long before these niceties get to patients elsewhere in the hospital...private rooms, private bathrooms, etc. And, by and large, these are the healthiest patients in the building! This worked on a philosophy that if the patient is happy with the experience when their child was born they will return for future medical needs. In questionnaires there is frequently reference to the "service" the patient received where in fact they should be asked about the "care" they received. In general, the sicker the patient, the more thankful they are for everything you do...Those who have moderate to minimal knowledge of medical care standards should not be those to evaluate it ...care needs to be provided based on patient need vs. demand...sorry, touchy subject for me!!!