Peachtree City

jerry russell

Not only can you not hunt, you can't shoot a bow and arrow. From their website...

It shall be unlawful for any person within the corporate limits of the city to discharge any arrow of any kind or character from a bow with a pull greater than five pounds or 30 inches in length or from any crossbow regardless of size, except that such discharge is permitted in the act of self-defense or the protection of private property. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the use of bows and arrows at any established archery range under the supervision of a person at least 18 years of age provided such archery range has been approved by the mayor and city council.

(Code 1980, § 14-20)

buckdog1

27-1-3. Legislative declarations; ownership and custody of wildlife; preservation of hunting and fishing opportunities; promotion and right to hunt, trap, or fish; local regulation; general offenses

(a) The General Assembly recognizes that hunting and fishing and the taking of wildlife are a valued part of the cultural heritage of the State of Georgia. The General Assembly further recognizes that such activities play an essential role in the state's economy and in funding the state's management programs for game and nongame species alike, and that such activities have also come to play an important and sometimes critical role in the biological management of certain natural communities within this state. In recognition of this cultural heritage and the tradition of stewardship it embodies, and of the important role that hunting and fishing and the taking of wildlife play in the state's economy and in the preservation and management of the state's natural communities, the General Assembly declares that Georgia citizens have the right to take fish and wildlife, subject to the laws and regulations adopted by the board for the public good and general welfare, which laws and regulations should be vigorously enforced. The General Assembly further declares that the state's wildlife resources should be managed in accordance with sound principles of wildlife management, using all appropriate tools, including hunting, fishing, and the taking of wildlife.
(b) The ownership of, jurisdiction over, and control of all wildlife, as defined in this title, are declared to be in the State of Georgia, in its sovereign capacity, to be controlled, regulated, and disposed of in accordance with this title. Wildlife is held in trust by the state for the benefit of its citizens and shall not be reduced to private ownership except as specifically provided for in this title. All wildlife of the State of Georgia is declared to be within the custody of the department for purposes of management and regulation in accordance with this title. However, the State of Georgia, the department, and the board shall be immune from suit and shall not be liable for any damage to life, person, or property caused directly or indirectly by any wildlife.
(h) Except as otherwise provided by general law, the power and duty to promulgate rules and regulations relating to hunting, trapping, and fishing rests solely with the board. No political subdivision of the state may regulate hunting, trapping, or fishing by local ordinance; provided, however, that a local government shall not be prohibited from exercising its management rights over real property owned or leased by it for purposes of prohibiting hunting, fishing, or trapping upon the property or for purposes of setting times when access to the property for purposes of hunting, fishing, or trapping in accordance with this title may be permitted. Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the political subdivision for purposes of public safety.

If you want to push it, they cant stop you from hunting. I just went thru this with our city and their lawyer told them the ordinance was useless. Under Ga law, they can only enforce limitations on firearms. Hunting is a right in GA and they cant stop it.

ArkansasBowhunter

Thanks buckdog1. I agree with your interpretation too, firearms restrictions only. It's hard to believe a city attorney would allow their council/board to pass an ordinance that circumvents a state law.

treehugger49

Thanks buckdog1. I agree with your interpretation too, firearms restrictions only. It's hard to believe a city attorney would allow their council/board to pass an ordinance that circumvents a state law.

I agree with you, but it happens all the time, and, if gone unchallenged, people believe it's the law.

GeorgiaCarry.org has gone to court repeatedly to force local governments to rescind their prohibition of firearms in parks, for instance.

A right unexercised eventually becomes a right lost.

jerry russell

You will not be the first to fight this fight in PTC. Their stance is not preventing you from hunting. It is prohibiting you from shooting a bow. A silly play on words but you can hunt all you want. You just can't shoot a gun or bow.
Guys, if you are not familiar with how things work in that city you will be shocked. When I had a business on the Southside of Atlanta we refused to work in that city. Extreme tree hungers all riding on heated leather seats...

ArkansasBowhunter

I think the last sentence only gives PTC the authority to regulate discharge of firearm, not regulate "projectiles."

Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the political subdivision for purposes of public safety.

deadbox

Grew up in this town. They only desire the foo foo type. The local law and politics think they are above surrounding areas. County next to them told them they couldn't chase into there county. I left soon as I could. And haven't been back. That town is a joke. Ideally it wa supposed to be an airline retirement community for delta. But instead it is a goldmind for plastic surgeons specializing in raising noses. And that's all I got to say about that.

Stroud Creek

They call it the Peachtree City Bubble, trust me, it’s call that for a reason. The whole place is a freaking joke. I’ve been a career FF for 33 years, I once had a guy that lives in PTC argue with me that the fire trucks were electric. Bahahahaha be always heard it called Police Tree City.

zeke392

Is hunting in Tyrone legal?

Well, I think it is legal with permission from the Chief Of Police. I was told that the only way they let you hunt is if you own the property and then they must approve the location. I inquired about hunting a friends property and asked to speak to the Chief. The AA told me the Chief didn't have time to speak to me and if I didn't own the property I couldn't hunt it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I worked in PTC for many years and refused to live there. Slip out the back side towards Brooks and find you a place to hunt.

tbrown913

Good luck fighting the city to change the ordinance. You will probably have to loose one lawsuit, appeal, and hope the next judge has a strict sense of the law and agrees that the law is in violation of state code.