Pelican Catch 100 First Kayak

ccbiggz

Glad you are getting to enjoy it!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looks like you were hanging out around McGinnis Ferry.

Good looking yak. Looks like a comfortable seat and you said it tracks well and that's the important stuff.

weagle

Yeah. I've fished McGinnis Ferry several times. I'm exploring different places to put the Kayak in. I'm usually by myself, so I don't shuttle back up to the lauch site. I need to put in and take out at the same spot. Jones Bridge is great, but they have very limited parking at the ramp. The park under the GA 400 bridge is a good spot to put in. The launch above Island ford looks good, but I need to get a cart since it's about 150 yds from the road to the ramp.

Another short video fishing below the 400 bridge:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Try Settles Bridge. You will need a trolley there too.

And embed your dang videos like the rules say!:whip:::ke:

mlandrum

Got my FIRST kayak today and hit the pond as quick as possible, being 70 years old QUICK is a past time word:biggrin2:, any way caught a nice mess of bass and bream for supper YUM YUM :yawn: and ready to go to bed!! I bought the kayak for the bream when the full moon comes this month, can't wait---- I feel like a little kid with a new toy!!!:pop::pop:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (50).jpg
    FullSizeRender (50).jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender (49).jpg
    FullSizeRender (49).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 119

martinc

First time on the Chattahoochee with the Catch 100. Really happy with how the 100 handled in the river. Rock solid stable and fairly easy to paddle up stream. I think a skeg will make a bid difference when trying to go fast upstream and I definitely need an anchor trolly. Trout were biting, and I put about 20 in the boat.

wy5AxDL.jpg

tjkedYv.jpg

JsjozJj.jpg

So from the sound of it it appears your happy and satisfied with the Catch 10 ?? I looked at both the 10 & 12 last week and wasn't sure which one to go with. Like you I'm not looking for speed, just a decent paddling kayak that's stable. I really don't want to have to put outriggers/stabilizers on one if I can spend a few more dollars and get one more stable. I'm 6'3" and right at 195lbs.

Martin

fish hawk

Bass Master
So from the sound of it it appears your happy and satisfied with the Catch 10 ?? I looked at both the 10 & 12 last week and wasn't sure which one to go with. Like you I'm not looking for speed, just a decent paddling kayak that's stable. I really don't want to have to put outriggers/stabilizers on one if I can spend a few more dollars and get one more stable. I'm 6'3" and right at 195lbs.

Martin
You'll be happier with a 12 ft kayak.

weagle

I'm 100% happy. My only regret is that I didn't buy a kayak years ago.

Between the 100 and 120: If you mostly fish small ponds, back waters and slow rivers the 100 gets the edge. If you plan to fish tournaments, bigger lakes, do camping trips or long excursions, I think the 120 would have the edge.

Here's a side x side view of the 100 and 120NXT. As you can see the cockpit area of the 100 is actually a little more open than the 120 due to the raised area in the 120 that I guess is for mounting a fish finder. The 120NXT has a much larger front hatch and a rear hatch. Both are wide and stable with a comfortable seat.

BTW, West Marine has the 100 on sale for $550 till tomorrow.

cS20IUk.jpg

Last edited:

Killdee

Still fishing with that cardinal 3 I see!!! I like my kayak fishing but have a sore back lately. Id like to float down below the falls for shoal bass.

fish hawk

Bass Master

Martin

Thanks for the suggestions/advice fish hawk. I kind of figured that but was still hesitant.

Martin
For stability you wont find one more stable than the Nucanoe pursuit.

weagle

The Hooch is way up and flowing fast so today I put in and fished for bass in the backwaters near Bull Sluice lake. A SpotSticker hand poured worm works wherever there are bass.

SpotSticker.jpg

bullsluice.jpg

weagle

River cleared up so I got a chance to do some more Trout fishing. I put in at the 400 bridge and paddled upstream to the bottom of Island Ford. I've been paddling a good bit lately so the 3/4 mile upstream trip wasn't too bad. I would paddle a couple hundred yards, fish some and then paddle up some more. I then spent about 4 hours fishing back down. I was using a drag chain to drift down and I would paddle back up and re-fish the hot spots.

Since this is my first Kayak, I don't have anything to judge it against from a speed standpoint, but it's not terribly slow. The only people I noticed going any faster up stream were in very long, skinny touring type kayaks. They were easily going 50% faster than me. The seat in the Pelican has proven to be super comfortable, I feel rock solid stable in it.

I caught about 25 Rainbows and a few small Browns. All on small rapalas.

I'm loving Kayak fishing.36553199_10156768757363949_6618991138000863232_n (1).jpg36506475_10156768757278949_6942797033208020992_n.jpg36508552_10156768757058949_775913046345252864_n (1).jpg

Last edited:

weagle

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RamblinWreck

Nice. What mount you using for the cam? Looking to eventually get a gopro and need a rail-mount stick for one.

RamblinWreck

Gotcha.

Been wanting to try fishing the 'hootch, but have not tried it in my kayak yet. Its on the list... (y)