People That Prepare Your Taxes

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have used it for several years too, but when I became self employed I bought their small business version the first year to make sure I was claiming everything I could. The second year I went to a CPA and she found several things I can deduct that Turbotax said I could not. The CPA is really not that much more expensive. At this point, I am happy to pay someone to keep .gov from getting any extra penny.
I don't own a business. Just a regular job and W2. Don't see why anybody would need a CPA for that at all. Mine is pretty cut and dried, the most complications I had was 1099s when I used to write and sell a bunch of magazine articles.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I don't own a business. Just a regular job and W2. Don't see why anybody would need a CPA for that at all. Mine is pretty cut and dried, the most complications I had was 1099s when I used to write and sell a bunch of magazine articles.
My CPA is as cute as a speckled pup and as smart as a whip and if something happened to Mrs. Wendy (who's also cute as a speckled pup and smart as a whip) I'd take off after that CPA. Besides, having her stand beside me and answer all the IRS's questions in case of an audit helps me sleep well at night. To quote Forrest Gump, "Good, one less thing to worry about". :LOL:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Many years ago we used H &R Block until the preparer mentioned after the fact that she "forgot" my wife's automatic $250 teacher credit. Back then, $250 was worth a lot.

We began using a CPA & have never looked back. Money well spent.

georgia_home

Had my only audit after the long time family cpa was sentenced to a few years in the pokey.

Yeah… the whole family thought the refunds were great. The late fees and penalties … not so much

Redbow

Had my only audit after the long time family cpa was sentenced to a few years in the pokey.

Yeah… the whole family thought the refunds were great. The late fees and penalties … not so much
I would imagine if everything with your taxes had been in the IRS's favor you would probable not had that audit? All CPA's are not honest and do a good job for the public, the one we had for 2 years just wanted more money in his pocket but he didn't get it from us.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Mrs. Fireman is college educated in such matters and keeps all of our stuff itemized on quickbooks. We did our own until she opened her little home cake business and couldn’t keep up with the yearly tax changes. That and a few other happenings made us nervous about filing our income wrong and over taxing ourselves.
First time we met our CPA and she handed him a printed itemized sheet that accounted for every stinking penny we spent, he offered her a job. He’s been well worth what he charges over the last few years.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
When you go to the “tax preparers” you’re basically letting seasonal help do your taxes.

My favorite "tax preparer" quote - "I can fill out taxes".

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My CPA is as cute as a speckled pup and as smart as a whip and if something happened to Mrs. Wendy (who's also cute as a speckled pup and smart as a whip) I'd take off after that CPA. Besides, having her stand beside me and answer all the IRS's questions in case of an audit helps me sleep well at night. To quote Forrest Gump, "Good, one less thing to worry about". :LOL:

You won't be standing with her if you get audited. She'll be there by herself. You know, "self incrimination" and all that plus we are all highly trained liars. Don't try this at home. ;) :bounce:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
H&R block will hire kids right out of high school going through the short training. CPA takes tax classes+3 or 4 every year to keep up with all the new rules/laws. Another good thing is a CPA will take up for you when the IRS tries to harass you. Don't think H&R does that. I'll pay the price.

Buford_Dawg

We have used the same lady at HRBlock for 31 years now. She does a fabulous job. When she retires from HRBlock, I will let my son, newly appointed CPA handle them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
CPA takes tax classes+3 or 4 every year to keep up with all the new rules/laws. Another good thing is a CPA will take up for you when the IRS tries to harass you. Don't think H&R does that. I'll pay the price.

The requirements are a 4 year degree in Accounting, pass the quiz and a two year internship signed off by another CPA who was your direct supervisor for that period. That gets you your ticket. Then you have to get 80 hours of continuing ed every two years with a minimum of 20 hours in the first year of the two year period.

Taxation is the only area of practice that a CPA can advocate for their client. Also, if you're a tax cheat we don't enjoy attorney client privilege.

LTZ25

People like you made my best clients because they had learned to appreciate the fact quality has a price. :bounce: :rockon:
Smart people realize that money paid to a CPA is some of the best money you will ever spend . A good tax man may charge you $500.00 and save you $2,000.00 or at least keep you out of jail .
I hear that fanny willis owes money to IRS , how do these politicians get away with that ?

turkeykirk

My wife has a MBA finance and an accounting degrees . She does our taxes. So far I haven’t found her embezzling any money yet. :biggrin2::rofl:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We still use our Woodstock CPA. I Fed ex. Need to switch to someone local, but it’s close to where we might be able to take it back over.
I don,t like to hand my personal information to a bunch of people I don,t know.Might as well just leave my SS card and driver's license laying on the curb at the local store.