Perception Pescador

ucfireman

Acadamy has them for 399. Thought? Good, bad or indifferent.
I had thought about the Vibe sea ghost 130. 899. with accessories, but 400 sound like :I could add a lot.

Coenen

Which length and model Pescador? That's going to be important in trying to compare with the Sea Ghost.

You're going to be adding stuff either way, that's the nature of the beast in the kayak game.

ucfireman

Angler 12 SOT.
I dont have one and have never been in one. I do fish a fair amount in ponds I find here and there and thought a kayak would be fun to be able to get to the "fishy" areas without having to trudge through the thick stuff. And maybe easier not hooking the limb bream.
Either way I would just hate to spend the money then decide I should have bought a different one, although that seems to be the theme on here.

Coenen

This one?(click me!) The standard Pescador looks pretty bare bones compared to the Sea Ghost. The Pescador Pro is more comparable to the SG. They are popular, well thought of boats. The big thing both will have over the standard Pescador is a framed seat that sits up off the deck of the 'yak. That will be a quantum leap for comfort and ability to stay out on the water for extended periods.

For small water pond fishing a 12ft+ 'yak is going to be overkill, IMO. I understand if you're getting a screaming deal, but for practicality, a 10-11ft model will probably do you much better if you're looking to "throw and go". If you've got dreams of hitting bigger water, then the bigger boats start to make more sense.

Since you've already looked at Vibe's boats a bit, set your sights on the Sea Ghost 110, or the Yellowfin 100. Those sound a bit more up your alley. If you've got a dealer nearby(Vibe or otherwise) head over and check out what they've got on hand. If at all possible, try and demo a kayak or two before taking the plunge. If you're on Facebook at all, jump into the various owner's groups or the "Georgia Kayak Fishing" group. Kayak guys are like any other hobbyists, we love to show off our toys!

Be sure to factor in the cost of a quality PFD and paddle as well. Both will have a significant effect on your enjoyment!

Upatoi Sportsman

I have one I got a few years back. I fish out of it all the time. I have used it on big water and rivers. I have added a few features since then. It is easy to fish from and very stable for me as a big boy about 250.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
We have Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100s (which is a 10' boat). They are excellent all around boats, great hull design, adjustable foot braces, good seat, hinged and hard dry storage doors. We paddle them on up to class III water. Most everywhere we go, folks are impressed with how well they handle. They aren't outfitted for fishing.

The Perception Pescador at Academy is made by the same parent company as Wilderness. Rotomolded hull, tough, paddles straight on flatwater, not too heavy, just well built all around. This $ 399 12' boat has the same cockpit size as the 10', just more storage. Same hull design as our Wilderness. The seat not quite as fancy, storage doors, press on rubber/plastic. Anyhow it's an older mold design, and Perception has newer models out, so IMO, this is the best deal nationwide for a quality kayak. They have an online bundle for the same price include life jacket and paddle.
Perception Pescador Bundle deal

For a 10' boat, Here's the similar mold, same great hull design without adjustable footrests, not quite so fancy a seat, sold under the Magellan Outdoors private label. Until this sale popped up on the Pescador, this Magellan has been my budget pick, a screaming good deal at $ 349. Way better than anything like the foam lined Sundolphin or even the rotomolded Lifetime. Don't let the private label Magellan fool you, this is a Confluence watersports Perception brand boat with a Magellan sticker and a great price. Even has the molded in fishing rod holders, and mounting points for more accessories. (electronics).
Magellan Outdoors 10' kayak

Edit: let me ditto Coenen's recommendation, if you are serious about fishing alot, visit a dealer and get a boat outfitted for that. My recommendation was/for dual purpose use, fun paddling, excursion, light fishing and a budget price.

Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
We have Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100s (which is a 10' boat). They are excellent all around boats, great hull design, adjustable foot braces, good seat, hinged and hard dry storage doors. We paddle them on up to class III water. Most everywhere we go, folks are impressed with how well they handle. They aren't outfitted for fishing.

The Perception Pescador at Academy is made by the same parent company as Wilderness. Rotomolded hull, tough, paddles straight on flatwater, not too heavy, just well built all around. This $ 399 12' boat has the same cockpit size as the 10', just more storage. Same hull design as our Wilderness. The seat not quite as fancy, storage doors, press on rubber/plastic. Anyhow it's an older mold design, and Perception has newer models out, so IMO, this is the best deal nationwide for a quality kayak. They have an online bundle for the same price include life jacket and paddle.
Perception Pescador Bundle deal

For a 10' boat, Here's the similar mold, same great hull design without adjustable footrests, not quite so fancy a seat, sold under the Magellan Outdoors private label. Until this sale popped up on the Pescador, this Magellan has been my budget pick, a screaming good deal at $ 349. Way better than anything like the foam lined Sundolphin or even the rotomolded Lifetime. Don't let the private label Magellan fool you, this is a Confluence watersports Perception brand boat with a Magellan sticker and a great price. Even has the molded in fishing rod holders, and mounting points for more accessories. (electronics).
Magellan Outdoors 10' kayak

Edit: let me ditto Coenen's recommendation, if you are serious about fishing alot, visit a dealer and get a boat outfitted for that. My recommendation was/for dual purpose use, fun paddling, excursion, light fishing and a budget price.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pe...sit-on-kayak-bundle-103210182b#repChildCatid=
Thats one heck of a deal

Yakman22

Bought the Pescador a couple years ago for the same price, for $400 you won’t find a better yak. Tracks great and is pretty fast. I have since upgraded to a Old Town predator MX, but still have my Pescador

Bream Pole

I you have a weak or any kind of problem back seat is everything. I'd look for raised seat with back rest. Bass pro Kayaks I think have raised seats for not much more money. It being Father's day weekend may have some deals.

Upatoi Sportsman

To keep water out of the seat just use foam golf balls. Here is my seat mod for this kayak. Not only does it raise the seat but it also adds some cushion. 20180616_151551-600x800.jpg20180616_151431-600x800.jpg All I used was an old life jacket that I cut the neck part off of and a stadium seat. Very inexpensive.