Persimmon. Trees ?

Blackston

I am wanting to plant some. Any advice on time of year , type of location, and how long till they bear fruit?

Major Wader

You will need male and female trees to get fruit. It's too late this year, but PM me and I will let you know when they start dropping here next year. You need to chill the seeds for a while in the refrigerator, or bury whole persimmons in your yard/beds/pots so they can over winter for them to be viable.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
You will need male and female trees to get fruit. It's too late this year, but PM me and I will let you know when they start dropping here next year. You need to chill the seeds for a while in the refrigerator, or bury whole persimmons in your yard/beds/pots so they can over winter for them to be viable.
You couldn’t dig up a couple little ones now and trans plant.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
From fruit to bear you’ll be an old man.

Find one as big as you can move.
Now is a great time to dig and transplant a tree.

More feasible to hunt the ones you’ve found. But you can make a spot for your children to eventually hunt.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Persimmon trees are either male or female and only the females bear fruit. You can tell male trees from female trees because male flowers are smaller and appear in small clusters, while the larger female flower appears alone.

Seven years to bear some fruit.
I expect he wants to hunt it meaning a grown tree loaded with enough fruit to keep the animals coming day after day.

@NCHillbilly will know best.

buckpasser

GFC sells seedlings. They are pretty cheap and nice looking. Customer service is a little hit or miss with the state nursery, so start with your county office and stick with them if you want some. They also sell plums, sawtooth oaks, etc for a reasonable price.

Buckstop

Depending on how much variety your wanting in fruit trees for your deer, you may want to look into pears. You can get them in older stock and also dont have to deal with the male/female issue. You will need to plant several persimmons to ensure you have females. No way to tell till they bare. Pears are pretty hearty, cant go wrong with them.

Mark K

Banned
Deer will cross blacktop roads and stand under a street light eating pears, even with confined dogs barking at them.

buckpasser

GFC has pears too.

godogs57

One of my hunting spots is only 40 acres. On that spot I have probably 75+ persimmon trees and in 25 years I have yet to see the first fruit. Big mature trees. If just two or three of those trees would bear fruit I’d be in business. Can’t tell if they are all girls or boys....ha.

Major Wader

If they don't have fruit, they are male trees. I waited until the first fruiting time before I cut any of mine to be sure.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
That’d be nearly impossible to have that many all male or all female.
I’d buy a male and/or female proven tree and plant it in the middle.
Call an arborist out too. Probably some other tree than 75 single sex persimmons though. Anything is possible I suppose.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Deer will cross blacktop roads and stand under a street light eating pears, even with confined dogs barking at them.
We see them at Michelle’s Rest in Georgetown Ga eating pears durning the day with people going in the restaurant.
They love them pears. Squirrel s to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Persimmon trees grow pretty fast, and start bearing at a young age and small size. They are hard to transplant by digging up, because they usually have a taproot-type root system with not a lot of feeder roots. They transplant eaily from containers, though. If you buy straight persimmon seedlings, expect several males for every female.

If you already have persimmons growing on your place, which is probably a very good bet if you're anywhere in the Piedmont, the fastest way to get them bearing is to bark-graft known female scion wood onto saplings that are already growing wild and established. I have had trees bearing a few fruit the next year after grafting. Search for my "Creating Transgendered Persimmon Trees" thread in this forum.

You can also buy straight run seedlings and graft them in the pot.

Blackston

I have 3 that I've found on my place it's 140 acres not a lot of woods. But all are close to the rd and I don't get much day time traffic. I was wanting to buy 10 and put them in strategic locations. But didn't know if I'd be wasting my time ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have 3 that I've found on my place it's 140 acres not a lot of woods. But all are close to the rd and I don't get much day time traffic. I was wanting to buy 10 and put them in strategic locations. But didn't know if I'd be wasting my time ?
I’d say give it a try , I try to plant a few different trees every year, I say if we are planting a tree we are definitely not be wasting our time !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Someone else already mentioned digging up wild ones , it’s a lot of work, but u can mark them with flagging tape while they have leaves, it’s a lot easier for me to identify, then dig them up , I think I’ve dug them up around February, and had decent success , I dug up about 20 probably 15 years ago and got 3 or 4 good producers now , and a few more that don’t produce , I’m about to check out hillbilly’s thread on grafting and give it a try on some that are males I guess , I’ll try to post a picture of some I dug up

Tmpr111

There are dozens where I hunt, they are out of control. Most though have come up in old brush piles where we’ve drug cut limbs to.