Pet peeve

little rascal

When ya take somebody fishing and then they go post on the inter-web where they were. As if it wasn't already well known.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Russians. Gosh darned Russians on our lakes, drunk on potato vodka, grenade fishing.
Unsafely. Using zero-delay hand grenades (made for booby traps, not hand-throwing).
But we can't throw the Reds out; Russians are Trump's best friends, and he owes them a favor for that election help. ; )

That was too funny ?

j_seph

That's illegal anyway.

Jugs and noodles are SUPPOSED to
be tagged. Name, number, etc..
Just like a trot line. Mr. Greenjeans
catches you jugging without tags he
can make you have a really bad day
if he's in the right mood.

But... Yeah. Polluting a lake with anything
jugs, noodles, beer cans or whatever is wrong.

Especially egregious is breaking
off a hundred feet of line an not
AT LEAST trying to get it. All
kinds of wildlife can get caught
up in that.
In what state would that be sir?

Coenen

I just hate the summertime when bikini clad girls are sunbathing on the dock while I'm trying to get the boat launched. It takes me forever to do this.
Get a nicer ride, maybe they'll come with you. Might hurt your fishing though.

Big7

The Oracle

Georgia. Unless something has changed.
All mine have tags anyway so I haven't really worried about it. Sporting trot lines are to have no more than 50 hooks. 51+ and you need a commercial license. I'm taking the boss to the hospital she's sick. I'll look up and post (hopefully) tonight. If not, soon as I can.

Big7

The Oracle
Georgia. Unless something has changed.
All mine have tags anyway so I haven't really worried about it. Sporting trot lines are to have no more than 50 hooks. 51+ and you need a commercial license. I'm taking the boss to the hospital she's sick. I'll look up and post (hopefully) tonight. If not, soon as I can.

I went back and checked e regs. Like promised.

I was correct on the trot line.

Regs for set hooks and jugs do not require ID and no limit for numbers of set hooks or jugs.

Eugene Stinson

When I show a (former) friend one of my honey holes and he gives it to all his buddies. IMO This is unethical.
Had this happen to me once 10 years ago and I still have not gotten over it.
And was my first 10 places I went to in most tournaments.

RamblinWreck

This is why I never fish Lanier on weekends. Also this week - too many folks on vacation. Had some old dude in a big CC doggin' me Monday. So I sat in front of a fishless dock for about an hour while I enjoyed a cigar and my coffee, making like I was shooting it and getting bit. As soon as I left he was in there. LOL

Eugene Stinson

When I show a (former) friend one of my honey holes and he gives it to all his buddies. IMO This is unethical.
I have said goodbye to a few fishing partners for this very reason

BoosterC

My truck does not have an override for the headlights. I hate it honestly.

One trick for many vehicles is to engage the Parking brake One Click, then turn off engine and restart. The daylight running lights will be dark. Release the parking brake and they will come back on. I know this was true for my old Dodge Dakota and it is true on my Toyota Tundra.

My peeve is moving within a casting length when I am fishing a spot.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Fishing a big spring tide & anchored or trolling just within casting range of flooded marsh grass/points & an AIRBOAT runs between you & the grass!

Patriot44

Banned
I was at the ramp one day in the Spring waiting on a guy to launch his slick looking inboard ski boat while he's on a single lane ramp...think it was a master craft. He finally got all his stuff on the boat, unhooked the tow strap from the boat and instructed his friend to back the truck up. His friend had never driven his truck (he told me that after the incident) and I don't think he ever backed a boat in. I watch the driver trying to back up...engine revving with reverse lights on and the truck wouldn't move. He finally figured out he had the emergency break on so he popped it off, truck took off backwards, he hit the breaks and stopped and i watched that nice shiny ski boat slide off the trailer in slow motion it seemed like and land on the concrete ramp on the bronze rudder and 4-blade prop. Front half of boat on the trailer, back half on the concrete. Now I was a bit perturbed by having to wait while he prepped on the ramp but I sure hated to see that happen. I can still hear the rending of metal on the concrete. I helped him get the boat back on the trailer and he checked the steering, rudder didn't turn. Prop had a chunk broken off of one blade and drive shaft was bent. OUCH! No idea how much that cost him, but I know it wasn't cheap. I genuinely felt sorry for the guy...he said he just got his boat out of service, had it detailed and all waxed up for his first time on the lake that season. I think that was the worst ***** I have seen at a ramp.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I only laugh because I think I have you beat. :bounce::bounce:

Back one Friday night in the early 90's, my uncle and I ran trot lines and bush hooks most of the night until about 3 o'clock in the morning. We did one last check, collected our haul, redbaited then headed to he house to get some sleep.

We got up about 1030 and my aunt made breakfast. We then headed to the ramp to go check our hooks-single ramp, dirt hill (no dock) in the low country of SC. AS usual on any Saturday in the summer, there was a line waiting to get in. I was not old enough to drive but as usual, my uncle and I got the boat ready, unhooked and then he climbed into the boat (we usually took turns boat/truck) as he was trying to ensure that I was proficient in backing in a boat (although I had done it hundreds of times).

Well, we were number two for takeoff and the rig in front of us was not unusual back in those days, especially in rural low country. It was about a 25' late 60's/early 70's cuddy cabin boat being pulled by a Chevy LUV with a big block and oversized tires. That in itself has to have your attention. :bounce:

Well the dude was probably already on his 20th Natty was instructing his wife how to back the boat in as he climbed up. They had at LEAST ten chillens all under the age of 12 standing to the side watching all wearing life jackets (NO idea how they all got there, prolly in the boat...not joking). Well, she climbed in the LUV and lit her up a Virginia Slim 500 and threw her arm around the passenger side seat back, took a big ole puff and commenced to backing up. "Whoa, Woman, slow down" he yelled to her which she did. He was still chugging the Natty.

She eased it in and he slung the boat in reverse and dragged that LUV about 25 yds off the ramp. They forgot to unhitch the boat from the winch :rofl::rofl:

Well, if you ever run the Intercostal or Waccamaw, they have a current and it was headed out. The current drug them about 30 more yds down the river and as the truck filled up with water, she finally ditched it out the window, with her smoke still in her mouth. He then drug that LUV (only the top of the cab visible) back to the hill and that's when I launched Uncle Danny, parked the truck and then jumped in the boat and took off. I still to this day have a vision that I cannot un-see and that is that blonde woman, exiting out the window of that LUV and doggy paddling against the current with a cigarette in her mouth. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Funnies thing I ever saw at the ramp. We came back about two hours later and there were three tow trucks retrieving the LUV from the river. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Patriot44

Banned
Exactly the reason for my peeve. There's a guy I see here a lot that gets me hacked off just about every time we cross paths. When it's him and me and wide open lake, I shouldn't be the one that has to paddle away at 2 miles an hour. I darn sure shouldn't be able to ask him if he's setting up to surf with my "inside voice".

Dude bro has a whole herd of horse powers in that stupid wake boat, drive the thing one creek arm over and leave me be!
Coenen, I agree, it is the reason I usually stay off the lakes after 9am on summer weekends in a Kayak if I go on a weekend at all.

Back in the day and in a completely different time (also a more rural area than Toona and Lanier), I have watched my uncle fire bird shot at the boaters- not warning shots, AT. He also carried buckshot.

My uncle is a master builder and woodworker and in the late 80's before the Kayak craze, we had 'one manners'. There were commercial solutions such as the Bream PRO, etc, but they were fiberglass and sat on top of the water, much like a Kayak. We fished rivers with currents, so you went one way for an hour or two, had a time of calm and then back the other an hour or two. Think one battery.

My uncle did not like the way that the commercial and fiberglass jobs sat on top of the water because of the wind, so he built wood 'one manners' out of marine plywood that out performed the fiberglass models. In fact, he had folks waiting in line and they paid some big $$$'s back then to get a wood jobber. He used to be able to make an 11' one manner with foot steering, trolling motor, live well, etc and sell them for more than a $1000.00 in the late 80's. All out of one 5x12' sheet of 1/2" ply obviously with the trimmings, etc., etc.

The wood boats sat way lower in the water and when you were using the current as propulsion, you could mostly steer without power and because it sat so far in the water, you were not using your batter up correcting the steering. The only problem was that big wake's would sink one and back then, the answer was a 20 gauge. Like I said, different times.

rigderunner

I don't mind jet skis and ski boats as long as they don't run right beside my boat when I'm anchored out. What I hate is when there is 3500 acres of water and some arrogant inconsiderate ***** comes and starts fishing right beside my boat. Close enough that I can hear the trolling motor click and the line unspool off his bait caster