Pets At Hunting Camp

brian lancaster

pets have took over this country so I guess they might as well take over the deer camp there more important than people, sickening to me

whitetailfreak

:rofl: So true.

My avatar is at hunting camp with part of our thundering herd of wiener dogs. They don't bother anything, and they come in extremely handy when you have a tough blood trail. Turn the wiener dogs on it, and you'll find your deer in a hurry.

Wiener dog rabbit hunts are a hoot, too. They'll run rabbits like a beagle.

My 12 year old thinks he's a Plott. He'll run anything regardless of size. These days, short bursts of about, 50 yards is all he's got in him.

Attachments

• 3941(1).jpg
    3941(1).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,471

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dogs are like people - some are welcome - some are not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I wouldn’t be able to keep steady knowing a wiener dog was running a rabbit my way. I would be giggling the entire time.

Pretty much. :D You do realize that they were originally bred to crawl down in holes and drag out angry badgers? They look funny, but they're tough little fellers.

My 12 year old thinks he's a Plott. He'll run anything regardless of size. These days, short bursts of about, 50 yards is all he's got in him.

:D That's the attitude. Weiner dogs are like Jack Russells, not many of them die from old age. They are too bad to attack things that are a lot bigger than them.

HermanMerman

Pretty much. :D You do realize that they were originally bred to crawl down in holes and drag out angry badgers? They look funny, but they're tough little fellers.

:D That's the attitude. Weiner dogs are like Jack Russells, not many of them die from old age. They are too bad to attack things that are a lot bigger than them.

Indeed... we have had two wiener dogs and three jack russells through the years. The number of squirrels, chipmunks, lizards, and snakes that have been brought back to the door has been astounding. I did witness one of the jacks and one of the dachshunds fight a opossum one night. Each had one end of him and they were literally trying to rip him in half. I was laughing too hard to pull them off.

Only one of them died young, and that was from cancer. I don’t know how the rest lived so long.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed... we have had two wiener dogs and three jack russells through the years. The number of squirrels, chipmunks, lizards, and snakes that have been brought back to the door has been astounding. I did witness one of the jacks and one of the dachshunds fight a opossum one night. Each had one end of him and they were literally trying to rip him in half. I was laughing too hard to pull them off.

Only one of them died young, and that was from cancer. I don’t know how the rest lived so long.

The last Jack Russell I had was a mass of scar tissue from one end to the other by the time he died at 14. Almost all tooth scars from groundhogs, coons, possums, and other critters.

The wiener dog I have now, I got when he was about 7 weeks old. He would nearly fit in your shirt pocket he was so little. A couple nights after I brought him home, I took him outside to pee. There was a big possum sitting on the porch eating cat food. That little feller, who was about a tenth the size of the possum, went running over there and clamped down on the possum's tail. The possum took off down the porch steps, across the yard, and through the bushes dragging lil' Arlo, who was still clamped down on the end of his tail. I laughed until my ribs hurt. :bounce:

HermanMerman

The last Jack Russell I had was a mass of scar tissue from one end to the other by the time he died at 14. Almost all tooth scars from groundhogs, coons, possums, and other critters.

The wiener dog I have now, I got when he was about 7 weeks old. He would nearly fit in your shirt pocket he was so little. A couple nights after I brought him home, I took him outside to pee. There was a big possum sitting on the porch eating cat food. That little feller, who was about a tenth the size of the possum, went running over there and clamped down on the possum's tail. The possum took off down the porch steps, across the yard, and through the bushes dragging lil' Arlo, who was still clamped down on the end of his tail. I laughed until my ribs hurt. :bounce:

And all of this ties right back into the original question regarding pets at camp. Why not? It’s stories like these that you miss out on when they aren’t around. To me, life just ain’t the same without a dog around.

MYRX

Dogs are welcome at our camp. Most sleep in the RV's at night and hang with the owners when they are back from hunting during the day. My wife doesn't hunt, so she takes the dog for a walk in designated safe areas, away from hunting activities while I am in the woods. Most of the dogs that come with the members are very well mannered. Good company around the campfires in the evenings.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Our dogs know when a dead deer is at camp. They also help find lost deer. They are not the best trackers but they are better than us.

livetohunt

Probably the same members that hear a dog barking and think they have ran all the deer off !

Who wants to go to deer camp for peace and quiet and have to listen to someones dog bark all day?

releehweoj

The few of us who bring our dogs to camp do so because it is a positive experience. So far the dogs all get along and cause no other trouble. If somebody were to bring a dog that caused trouble things would be different. I am blessed to hunt with guys who think alike and would not put the peace and quiet of our camp in jeopardy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Who wants to go to deer camp for peace and quiet and have to listen to someones dog bark all day?

My feeling is that if your dog tends to bark all day, you shouldn't bring it to deer camp. Most dogs don't bark all day.

walters

Dogs

Mines been raised in hunting camp since he was 3 months old, he's became kind of a mascot, bit he's well manored and listens, some dogs are out of control, heck mine even deer hunts with me

Attachments

• 1028171853a.jpg
    1028171853a.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 450

DrK

I understand members who don't like dogs in the camp. After being anal with trying to control odor with all the scent cover and scent free soap sitting on the spot where a pet dog has been or holding them is a good way to smell like a predator. I myself use Head and shoulders shampoo before the hunt but am very mindful of the wind.

Jack Ryan

I love animals and dogs in particular. However, I don't want to be inconvenienced by the irresponsibility of other dog owners in Camp. I've had to listen to whining barking, barking dogs tied up at night, and in the woods while I'm hunting. The same dogs get untied after the owner gets back in Camp and go from camper to camper looking for handouts, marking everything that is laying around, and taking a dump who knows where. I would consider a $200 pair of hunting boots useless forever once I step in dog poo. I once slung a fist-sized rock towards a lab that was just hiking his leg to pee on my climber/pack that was leaning up against a tree. Not trying to hit him, but trying to keep him away from my equipment. One second later would have been too late. The owner did not like it, but I would rather have him mad at me than have a dog pee on my deer hunting equipment. We had another member who thought nothing of taking his dogs for a run behind his four wheeler to go 'check on his stands'.
I got out of that deal and I'm in charge of my own lease now. Dogs are not an issue now because there are no dogs in Camp.

Yep to all that. I wouldn't pay a cent to lease a camp I had to put up with someone else's dog. Putting up with my own at home is pain enough. I can hunt right outside my own back door but if I want to be left alone I have to drive down the road and walk back home or have the wife take the dog for a drive while I slip up the hill.

It's hunting camp or it's pet camp. Can't be both.

GeorgiaBob

My wife owns a spaniel as an "inside" dog. He only goes out for walks on a leash, or out in the fenced back yard to do his business. The 5 year old dog is funny, bright, and spoiled, but NOT a camp dog. I would not impose upon the patience of others by bringing that dog to a hunting camp!

OTOH, I had a brother (killed by a drunk driver 39 years ago) who raised Golden Retrievers and I would have taken any of his dogs to any hunting camp, anytime. In fact, I have borrowed descendants of my brother's dogs (his widow still raises Goldens who are trained by people who know what they are doing) for bird hunts, and have never heard a complaint even though the only time they are restrained is in the travel crate going to and from camp.

I enjoy pets and most dogs seem to like me, but hunting camp requires people AND animals who know how to behave!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I am a Club President and have some folks extremely against this. Bringing your pet to camp is not an issue with me! Comments please....

Simple really. Your camp so it's your rules. Find members that think like you and your life will be easier.