Pheasant hunt advice

fowlmeat08

Going to S.D. for the first time the last weekend of September on a pheasant hunt. Anyone that has been that time of the year and could share some advice it would be appreciated. Such as what clothing, boots, etc. should I be looking for or anything else that would help.

Gator89

Do you mean October’s? Opening day is always the third Saturday in October.

Hunting of wild birds starts the third Saturday in October.

Lodges & Outfitters that release pen raised birds can start much earlier.

OP, I would plan for mostly warm to even hot weather in September, packing a light wind resistant / waterproof jacket.

Last edited:

Gator89

Navigation: Home > UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Articles > South Dakota - Preserves vs. Native Wild Pheasant Hunts
SOUTH DAKOTA - PRESERVES VS. NATIVE WILD PHEASANT HUNTS
By: Chris Hitzeman
UGUIDE Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota
An Analysis of the Differences between Preserve and Non-Preserve Pheasant Hunting Outfitters in South Dakota
Over the years, it has come to my attention that few hunters are aware of the differences between preserve and non-preserve pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Few people I know will drive 2,000 miles to hunt a released or pen raised pheasant. Hunters that don't have that requirement may find preserves attractive.
Aspect 1 - Hunting Seasons
Preserve
The season length on shooting preserves may be all or any part of the seven-month period beginning September first and ending March thirty-first of the following year.
Native Wild
Season runs from 3rd weekend in October to 1st weekend in January

Stonewall 2

Hunting of wild birds starts the third Saturday in October.

Lodges & Oitfitters that release pen raised birds can start much earlier.

OP, I would plan for mostly warm to even hot weather in September, packing a light wind resistant / waterproof jacket.
Gotcha! I knew the outfitters that released birds had different reg but I thought the season was the same.

And like He said I wouold plan on more hot weather than cool.

Triple C

Been many times. September no fun. Way too hot!!! We hunt at Broken Arrow Farms www.brokenarrowfarms.com, outside of Pierre. They are a preserve and their property is set up for pheasant. Hunting a good preserve in SD is 180 degrees opposite of hunting pen-raised quail which I've done a few times. The preserves out there release their birds in the summer and they're actually ahead of the wild birds in terms of size. And, you won't and can't tell the difference in their flight. They'll flush a hundred yards out in front of you and go like a bat out of hades. Headed back out in late October which is about the perfect time temp wise. Usually in the 40s in the morn and may warm up to the low 60s. But, weather is unpredictable. I've shot in freezing rain in late October. Prepare for a range of temps.

If you go and it's near Pierre, visit Cattleman's Steak House and order the cowboy ribeye. Off the charts.

skeeter24

My advice is not to go until late October. We went one year that early that was way too hot to be hunting. Since then we have always gone at the end of October and even then we are sometimes in short sleeves by days end.

Gator89

Been many times. September no fun. Way too hot!!! We hunt at Broken Arrow Farms www.brokenarrowfarms.com, outside of Pierre. They are a preserve and their property is set up for pheasant. Hunting a good preserve in SD is 180 degrees opposite of hunting pen-raised quail which I've done a few times. The preserves out there release their birds in the summer and they're actually ahead of the wild birds in terms of size. And, you won't and can't tell the difference in their flight. They'll flush a hundred yards out in front of you and go like a bat out of hades. Headed back out in late October which is about the perfect time temp wise. Usually in the 40s in the morn and may warm up to the low 60s. But, weather is unpredictable. I've shot in freezing rain in late October. Prepare for a range of temps.

If you go and it's near Pierre, visit Cattleman's Steak House and order the cowboy ribeye. Off the charts.

Cattleman's is excellent, so is Mad Mary's in downtown Pierre. Mad Mary's was started by the owner of the Cattleman's ex-wife.

My friends & I typically hunt the weekend with farmers and then with Broken Arrow one day while out there.

Triple C, we may have crossed paths out there.

nrh0011

My advice is not to go until late October. We went one year that early that was way too hot to be hunting. Since then we have always gone at the end of October and even then we are sometimes in short sleeves by days end.

End of October is a good time to go. It can be hot, but it can also be nice. Once November rolls around the weather can go south real quick out there. That's been my experience anyways.

fowlmeat08

I was not aware it was not the traditional season. Either way looking forward to a good time with some good friends. That's what its all about. Thanks for the info.

Uptonongood

True feel of pheasant hunting is a frosty morning, the dogs are pumped by the activity and cool temps. The fall colors sooth the soul and the air temps made the birds’ scent sharp for the dogs. Early morning hunts start with a thick sweater under a good bird coat with one of the garments being shed by 10:00. And great football games on tv await hunters worn out trekking corn shuck fields and brushy draws.

I miss it.

billc

How are the accommodations at the Lodge? No pics of Lodge on website.

Latest posts