Phone GPS while driving & cops?

Artfuldodger

Today an officer told my daughter that it was against the law to use her smartphone GPS while driving. It's the same as texting or using the internet while driving.

I read where some states are making it illegal to use your phone's GPS while driving. Some states make it where the phone has to be attached to the vehicle like a Garmin to make it legal.

I did find this article;

"Georgia cop tickets drivers for using Google Maps, but not Garmin"

http://www.networkworld.com/article...rs-for-using-google-maps--but-not-garmin.html

Technicality, Google maps is using the internet where as using the phones GPS would not be. Maybe that made it illegal but cop told my daughter that using her phone's GPS was illegal.

T-N-T

I have often wondered why the use of a phone was not ok but the use of a windshield mounted gps was ok.

I suppose you best be pulling over to enter your info and reattach to the holder before moving in the future.

GoldDot40

Time to contact our local representative and express our concerns. Some laws need to be more specified to where cops can't lean one way...and then the other for nearly the exact same offenses. The problem is that there's a LOT of people can't multitask while driving so we all have to tolerate certain rules.

In the flip side, if you drive a tractor-trailer, it's best if you don't interact with your handset at all while driving. FMCSA compliance officers are watching for drivers holding their phones in a manner where you 'might' be texting. You can't have the handset up to your ear to talk either. Hands free devices are allowed.

I know of some trucking companies with cameras in the cab watching their drivers. There was an instance not too long ago where a local driver was fired for eating grapes while driving. His employer has a strict no driving while distracted policy, that includes eating, drinking, interacting with a cell phone or GPS, etc. They demand you pull over to do anything that is considered distracting.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I LIVE it everyday. So far my employer has not installed cameras but am told they are coming. I quit at that point. My parents, whom I believe had a little​more concern for my well being, didn't think I needed a babysitter when I hit 12. I'll be CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoreded if I'm going to accept one now that I'm 50.

As far as the phone gps, if it's in your hand it is distracted driving. If the actually states "texting" and texting only you could probably beat it but at what cost. By the time you hire a lawyer go to court several​ times get documents from your carrier to show you weren't, which still isn't proof since you could have been reading old texts, doubt it's worth it

ryanh487

How much is the fine? How much free time does she have? Unless it's a hefty amount, kid she shows up to the first court date and pleads not guilty, schedules a trial, shows up for second date (calendar call) and speaks to the solicitor, they'll probably drop it or at least negotiate on it to save time and money from going to a jury trial over it.

Artfuldodger

I find just talking in the phone while driving in the city is detracting. I'm trying to work out the details of the conversation in my head and it tasks my one tract mind so much I can't concentrate on the driving situations.
I don't think it would make any difference if the phone wasn't in my hand or not. Usually if someone calls my phone it's serious enough for me to be concentrating on doing something, not just shooting the breeze.

Still though that is legal. I have never been that detracted by a dash mounted GPS, even if I glance at the screen.

Artfuldodger

My daughter, by the way, got a ticket for texting while operating a motor vehicle. During her lecture is when the cop told her using her phone GPS was considered the same thing, a distraction.

“A driver… shall not engage in any actions which shall distract such driver from the safe operation of such vehicle…”

I'm not sure exactly what the ticket said. Probably something like
"operating a motor vehicle while distracted by a hand held electronic device."

She was guilty by the way. She admitted it to the officer. Technically she wasn't "driving" as she was sitting at a traffic light but she was operating a motor vehicle. She was texting.

The incident made me think about the law and how it's up to the discretion of the officer as to what he considers distracting.

The discussion was more along the lines of this than actually texting while operating a motor vehicle.

Artfuldodger

Thought of another scenario;

I cause an accident and I'm talking on my cell phone. Could I be charged with being detracted?
If I wasn't but my insurance company found out I was on the phone, would it affect anything? The insurance company always ask if you were distracted in any way? I guess they figure the other driver's lawyer might bring it up for a settlement.

GoldDot40

That's my point, we...the people...need to contact our representatives and have the driving while distracted laws reviewed, specified and simplified. Seems to me if a ticket can be issued for interacting with a GPS then people could be cited for changing radio stations. We all know how well that would play out.

Those of us who CAN multitask have to abide by the laws written for those who can't. I know a lot of people that have no problem driving WHILE eating, drinking, talking, listening to directions or conversation. But being a truck driver, I see people who have NO business doing anything other than driving when behind the wheel. Some people are down right scary to watch operating a vehicle....and trust me, truck drivers aren't exempt.

NOYDB

BANNED
I see people who have NO business doing anything other than driving when behind the wheel.

And some can't even do that. And survive because competent people avoid hitting them.

I would prefer a driver try to consult a hand size device that is focused on where they are operating than someone trying to use a map that may include other cities and states. And unfold to block the entire windshield.

swampstalker24

Id say if youre riding down the road looking at your phone you are guilty of distracted driving... However if you set your gps guidance then start driving and put your phone down, just listening to the directions, i dont see how they could ticket you for that...

Patriot44

Banned
I call bologna. Everyone I know uses Waze or Googl maps and I have never heard of such. Stupid law if it is true.

Lilly001

Many laws allow for the subjective evaluation of the enforcing officer.
To do otherwise would often require a book of laws to cover each possible scenario.
The courts are the ultimate authority, but many times the penalty is not worth the time and effort to appeal .
But I can't think of a reasonable alternative to our flawed but workable system.

Grub Master

I was told by a Cobb County LEO that if I someone is using their phone while committing a traffic violation there is an automatic $300 fine.
Don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm this?

holton27596

Research has repeatedly shown that ANY use of a phone makes drivers worse than those who are DUI. Number one cause of teen deaths in wrecks is caused by "distracted" driving.