Photobucket for 3rd party hosting

JohnK

Lately I see that some pictures don't show....just an image saying to upgrade my account (photobucket) to 3rd party hosting? Do they mean for me to upgrade or the original poster? I'm unaware of myself having a photo bucket account to upgrade and how much do they assume I'm willing to pay?

sinclair1

Lately I see that some pictures don't show....just an image saying to upgrade my account (photobucket) to 3rd party hosting? Do they mean for me to upgrade or the original poster? I'm unaware of myself having a photo bucket account to upgrade and how much do they assume I'm willing to pay?

The OP. Not many will pay, so get used to seeing those images on here on old threads.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member

Photo-bucket is now a Pay site. If you do not pay, then any of your pictures on the internet are replaced with the photobucket "upgrade" icon.
It's really hurt all the scale modelling and other sites( including here)that used it for photo storage or required 3rd party hosting. I would not be surprised if there is a class action lawsuit since the conversion to a pay site seems to have happened over-night and kept users from moving their pics out. $99 a year for 2Gigs (or 399 for hotlinking) seems exorbitant to me and i hope they go bankrupt. Just my opinion and understanding of the issue.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Photo-bucket is now a Pay site. If you do not pay, then any of your pictures on the internet are replaced with the photobucket "upgrade" icon.
It's really hurt all the scale modelling and other sites( including here)that used it for photo storage or required 3rd party hosting. I would not be surprised if there is a class action lawsuit since the conversion to a pay site seems to have happened over-night and kept users from moving their pics out. $99 a year for 2Gigs (or 399 for hotlinking) seems exorbitant to me and i hope they go bankrupt. Just my opinion and understanding of the issue.

This. ^ I'm in the process of deleting my pics from Photobucket.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Well since I have so many trail cameras in service for the past 6 1/2 years (Yes, I have 37 WGI cameras currently in service and I own 62 WGI cameras total). I have posted so many of my photos of every kind of critter (including a black coyote/red wolf BUT NO A BLACK PANTHER), also vacation photos from Hawaii, Alaska, Seattle, Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia etc over all of these years.

A lot of them had a great story included with these photos as well. All of these years, I thought that PHOTOBUCKET was great for hosting my photos. HOWEVER, RECENTLY WITHOUT ANY WARNING AT ALL, THEY STOPPED HOSTING AND PUT UP THEIR LOGOS ON THE SCREEN IN PLACE OF MY PHOTOS. TO SAY THAT I AM AS MAD AS HADES IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT.

WHEN I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM, THEY WANTED $399.99 PER YEAR TO HOST ANY 3RD PARTY PHOTOS IN THE FUTURE. I EVEN ASKED FOR A "LIVE PERSON" TO CONTACT ME BUT NO ONE WOULD CONTACT ME EXCEPT A ROBOT INSTEAD !!!!

I AM LIKE THE REST OF THE MEMBERS HERE, I HOPE THAT THESE JERKS WILL GO TOTALLY BANKRUPT AND TOMORROW WOULDN'T BE SOON ENOUGH IN MY OPINION!!!!!!

THE ONLY CONSOLATION FOR ME IS THAT I STILL HAVE EVERY ONE OF MY PHOTOS EITHER ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR ON MY COMPUTER HARD DRIVE. HOWEVER, IT IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GO BACK NOW AND BE ABLE TO MATCH EVERY PHOTO WITH THE PREVIOUS PHOTOS THAT I HAD POSTED.

I DON'T THINK THAT IT WOULD BE A GOOD DAY IF THE PERSON THAT MADE THIS CRAZY DECISION WOULD KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR RIGHT NOW !!!!!

Dr. Strangelove

Imgur is what I use now. Their site, their rules, I guess, but I feel it was very poor form to give absolutely no notice whatsoever. I had ten years or more of participation in various web forums and I have zero intention of giving PhotoBucket any money, especially after this. I might have been inclined to pay a reasonable yearly charge, but not now, no after the way they chose to handle this change.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
There is freeware that will unlock photobucket's ransomware. Google "photobucket fix Chrome" and "photobucket firefox fix link" and the photos are restored on the viewed forum after installing the apps. Dunno how long it will take for pb to figure out how to defeat it, but it is amazing how easy it is to restore the images on forums. Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will draw pictures on my computer screen with a crayon before I give one red cent to Photobucket.