Photos of a new brassica we have planted

Jorge

Photos of a Winfrey Brassica we have planted

I have been sending e-mails back and forth with Coon Dawg about a new type of brassica (Winfrey) that we have planted. I thought I would post some photographs I have taken of one of the food plots. The first picture was taken in late November and the second was this past weekend. The deer have really hit these greens; however, what is interesting is that it the leaves appear to be actually growing back after being browsed by the deer, which we have not experienced with other brassicas.

Attachments

• SE 11-26-04a.JPG
    SE 11-26-04a.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 244
  • SE 2-19-05a.JPG
    SE 2-19-05a.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Well, you gonna tell us what it is?........... :D :pop:

You no inquiring minds will want to know... :bounce:

Btw, that's a good looking plot.... :clap:

Jorge

We were sent 3 brassicas to test. This is either Hunter Brassica or Winfrey Brassica and I can't remember which. Hopefully Coon Dawg will be on here in the morning to remind me which (he is likely already out hunting by now). The remainder of the plot is planted in wheat and duranna clover.

Jorge

I am not sure if this is the Hunter Brassica or the Winfrey. Both got hammered only one was by pests not deer. Coon will let us know in the morning. I have attached a picture of a couple of the stalks where the leaves appear to be growing back. The stalk on the far right is the best indication that it is coming back.

Attachments

• SE 2-19-05e.JPG
    SE 2-19-05e.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 270

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Thanks Jorge, I may have to try some of that, though ya'll refresh my memory.

I know you're not suppose to plant rape more than two years in a row on the same dirt though what I can't remember is, whether or not this pertains to all brassicas or just rape? In other words can you plant rape two years in a row and then plant some other form of brassica or should you lay off planting any type of brassica for a year before planting them again?

Jorge

Huntnnut,

That is a good question. I am not sure if you can plant another brassica or not. We actually have one food plot that has turnips and collards in it that we can't get rid of. A former member put the seed down in 1999 but turned them under too deep. We drilled clover into it the following fall, which lasted for about 3 years. When we plowed it the next fall, turnips and collards came up everywhere. One member was actually going out and harvesting turnips and collards along with the deer. These turnips and collards flowered and seeded and they keep coming back.

Jorge

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Jorge............

at the 4 way........NW quad is Winfrey, SE quad is Winfrey, NE is Hunter.....the "necks" comin out of the North Quads are new YORK Turnips.........hope this helps.......Loop Road plots...............Winfrey on the left, Hunter on the right, necks are Turnips......... :)

Last edited:

Jorge

Thanks John. To answer everybody's question, the photographs above are of Winfrey Brassica.