Pier fishing...what have you caught?

jody7818

So what have you guys caught on piers in the ocean?

I fished the Panama City Beach pier (the long one...can't remember the name) several times. I've managed to catch only a few fish that looked like snakes and a blowfish. It was about the size of a volleyball when it was fully blown.

I don't fish from piers, but I have fished near them from my canoe. I've caught sharks, Spanish mackerel, bluefish and pogies. You can catch everything except the extremely deep blue water stuff from a pier at times.

Saltwater fishing can be seasonal. Not everything is available every time.

jody7818

I don't fish from piers, but I have fished near them from my canoe. I've caught sharks, Spanish mackerel, bluefish and pogies. You can catch everything except the extremely deep blue water stuff from a pier at times.

Saltwater fishing can be seasonal. Not everything is available every time.

You've caught sharks from a canoe? Now that's some serious shark fishing :hair:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those snakelike fish were probably ribbonfish.

I`ve caught, black drum, whiting, sheephead, pompano, spanish mackeral, mangrove snapper, blues, and my favorite, which I specifically fish for, flounder.

D_Happyfeet

Off the pensacola beach pier we have caught....

Redfish
shark
blowfish
trout
stingray
spanish mackarel
ladyfish
flounder

We have seen others catching sheephead, kings, and cobia.

Of course the redfish were the best.:cool:

Parker Phoenix

The only pier I ever fished from was at jeckyll, we caught catfish,shark, and whiting. I did witness some flounder being caught and one HUGE redfish.

DBM78

I limit out on spanish when the bait is running around the skyway pier in Tampa that usually around April-June every year always catch them on chrome gotcha plugs.

7mm mag 06

small jacks and some sheepshead and small snapper around navarre

Not too serious. Anything that feels like its over four feet or so I lean in to real hard to get cut off. If you're sitting on a pogie pod you'll wear yourself out if you try to get every shark you hang into up to unhook. They're a nuisance when you're trying to jump tarpon.

Oh, and its not your usual kind of canoe. Its a Radisson-type canoe called a Sportspal. It won't flip and won't sink. I even use it to snorkel out of and climb in and out easily without dumping it. I don't suggest taking the normal canoe like a Coleman you get as Bass Pro through the surf.

Nicodemus, where you catching pompano off the GA coast? If its predictable fishing I'd sure appreciate some tips. Thats one of my all-time favorite fish.

j_seph

I can tell ya what I did not catch, we were at Myrtle Beach this year and I had 2 of my catfish rods w/ 80lb braid on them fishing w/ mullet. Well the other pole had cut squid on it and kept getting bumped, so I'm watching it when all of a sudden my clicker starts slowly going off on the mullet. Well I set the hook and off toward the middle of the Atlantic it goes at about 90mph................................................................................................................................then comes off

tcward

Caught a bunch of bluefish with a McDonalds soda straw on a treble hook of a pier in Gulf Shores!:banana::banana:

JerkBait

Banned
Caught a bunch of bluefish with a McDonalds soda straw on a treble hook of a pier in Gulf Shores!:banana::banana:

how much of the straw do you use?

I was at the apache pier in myrtle beach this year and hooked into the biggest fish ive seen alive. A 6-7ft. black tipped shark that i hooked multiple times with my bass rod. he never broke me off just swallowed past my leader and cut the line. it was the coolest thing to feel the power of one of those when i set the hook. couple guys hooked some kings but they broke off as well.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member

Attachments

• Straw Rig 2.jpg
    Straw Rig 2.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 823

robertyb

The pier in PC Beach is (was) the Dan Russell pier. It is being torn down this month and should be rebuilt within 18 months.

I have caught redfish, spanish, kings, cobia, blues, hardtails, catfish, mahia mahia, blowfish, rays, Tarpon, sharks, snapper, grouper, flounder, pompano, whiting, jacks and several other assorted species off of it over the years. I personally know others that caught Tuna and sailfish off it.

Here are a few from last my last trip:

Attachments

• bob1[1].jpg
    bob1[1].jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 648
  • bob51.jpg
    bob51.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 638
  • bob7[1].jpg
    bob7[1].jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 634

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
i used to fish that pier alot 10 or 12 years ago before the storms tore most of it up.man we caught alot fish and had a blast on that pier..im glad to hear they are going to rebuild it.Do you know how long it will be robert?I was looking down off the end of the pier one day guy had a nice spanish on and right when he was going to pull it up a huge cobia atleast 6 foot long jumped on the spanish the bigggest ive seen in person i seen some pics of some bigguns like that.i believe its the best pier in the world to fish when its the orignal length.ive seen most of the fish robert wrote caught plus seen a couple barracudas and seen some people hook up with amberjacks.I personaly have caught 50 or more bonitas there.first cast im ate coming down.