Pier fishing...what have you caught?

robertyb

Last word I got was they will tear it down this month and it will take 18 months ( I will bet on 24) to rebuild it. It will be several feet higher off the water than it was and will have a circular end rather than a T on it. No bathrooms planned even though it will be 1550 feet long which is a little longer than it used to be. It is also supposed to have higher railings than the old pier which will make it harder to fish off of. It will also have blowthrough panels running the length of it so storm surges will not destroy it.

I have not fished the Pensacola pier but I think it is the same design.

dutchman

Last word I got was they will tear it down this month and it will take 18 months ( I will bet on 24) to rebuild it. It will be several feet higher off the water than it was and will have a circular end rather than a T on it. No bathrooms planned even though it will be 1550 feet long which is a little longer than it used to be. It is also supposed to have higher railings than the old pier which will make it harder to fish off of. It will also have blowthrough panels running the length of it so storm surges will not destroy it.

I have not fished the Pensacola pier but I think it is the same design.

No bathrooms?!?! Dang, where am I gonna hide when the lightning starts from time to time?

Oh well...:banginghe

And I've missed that T for a while now...

The Dan Russell Pier is my favorite. Over the years, I've caught Kings, Spanish, Jack Crevalle, Bonito, Mahi, Hard Tails, Bules, Catfish, and other assorted "trash" fish.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not too serious. Anything that feels like its over four feet or so I lean in to real hard to get cut off. If you're sitting on a pogie pod you'll wear yourself out if you try to get every shark you hang into up to unhook. They're a nuisance when you're trying to jump tarpon.

Oh, and its not your usual kind of canoe. Its a Radisson-type canoe called a Sportspal. It won't flip and won't sink. I even use it to snorkel out of and climb in and out easily without dumping it. I don't suggest taking the normal canoe like a Coleman you get as Bass Pro through the surf.

Nicodemus, where you catching pompano off the GA coast? If its predictable fishing I'd sure appreciate some tips. Thats one of my all-time favorite fish.

I used to catch em off the Flagler Beach pier in Florida, and still catch em some off Mexico Beach pier, usin` either sand fleas or yellow jigs.

I`ve never fished off the Georgia coast. That`s gonna change though!!

FishingAddict

All of the above plus snook, ladyfish and tarpon. Ive seen kings hooked as well, not very common.

Don't forget the unusual and common fish like toad fish, pufferfish, needle fish, cow fish, grunts, jacks, spots, etc.

Had a buddy hook a cormerant once. Thought it was a fish at first, then he had a kite. Poor bird.

Snook are my favorites in and around piers.

Best pier I know of is on Sanibel island. At least is was 10 years ago.

FishingAddict

Nic- Have you ever taken a rootbeer DOA to a flat and dragged it really really slow? DEADLY on those flat fish!!

zach987

Best pier I know of is on Sanibel island. At least is was 10 years ago.

When I lived there the one on the ocean side was always too crowded. I am not saying the fishing wasn't tremendous though. We used to spearfish near there in the evening after work. Snook and red fish were a plenty.

P

potsticker

i wuz a pier rat on dan rusell, had my own cart flying gaf, bait bucket sabiki rod and reel. Fished it for years caught limits of spanish on that bobber, straw deal. The last year i fished it, i caught 2 kings about 20lbs each. Everyone catches pelicans and seagulls. We all had that pesty loggerhead gather everyones line. I once hung a tarpon, halfway back to the pier a shark cut it in half.I think the livelyest thing i caught wuz a girls bikini top. Once you get that live alewia going it wont stop, we tried for a while to retrieve that top but the tide had turned.

ThatredneckguyJamie

Whiting, spanish mackerel, flounder, trout, bluefish, sheepshead, kingfish, cobia, sharks, catfish, look downs, stingrays, toadfish, bluecrab...geez, I'm sure there are more that I am not thinking of at the moment. We are blessed to have one of the nicest piers I know of here in Jax beach...1/4 mile out.