Pike's Ponds...Houston County

HacksawJimWagons

i had a small john boat in the biggest pond a few weeks ago after the flood waters went down...we caught about 4 bass each, 8 between me and my buddy, then crossed over to the front pond and caught 3 or 4 more apiece. We had brim poles sitting the whole time and pulled eating size brim after eating size brim until we were out of worms.

the guy takes real good care of the place...i'll see yall out there.

Darkhorse

Boat size?

Would a 14' fiberglass/trolling motor boat work in those ponds? I usually launch this boat in farm/wood's ponds with no boat ramp at all. A concrete ramp would be like winning the lottery (almost).

I drove out there to see it for the first time this morning. I didn't take anything to fish with, I just wanted to see it. Looks like it might be an alright place to fish, at least the larger ponds do. The smaller front ponds are badly overgrown with grass and look pretty stagnant, but the rear ponds look alright except for tons of lily pads.

I wouldn't use a trolling motor, but I might put in a very small boat with a paddle. I didn't see any ramp, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Sign posted with information:
Open 9AM-sunset Monday - Saturday
$5 per person
$2 per boat
$1.50/lb for keeping the fish you catch.
No live minnows allowed

One thing I didn't see, whom do you pay? There was nobody out there that I saw and wasn't sure which house to go to.

Last edited:

HacksawJimWagons

There is a pay box right by the entrance gate. The owners live in the house on the culdesac, right across from the ponds, but i'm not sure they're inviting strangers up to the door. But they ARE watching the pay box, so be honest, and catch fish.

There is a boat ramp. Concrete. And a trolling motor would be fine to push through the channels and open water, but i wouldnt try it out in the pads. I've used my 12 ft John with a trolling motor, and a 2 man bass hunter, also with a trolling motor, accompanied by paddles of course.

good luck.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Hey Hacksaw...don't you do some creek fishing around there and
are there any small rivers to fish with electric?

HacksawJimWagons

yeah pal, i fish alot of the creeks and backwaters around Middle Ga. I'm not sure if i'd try the Ocmulgee with an electric outfit, but i have seen people making the journey in kayaks.

The problem with most of the backwaters these days are the limb obstructions that have built up over time. Most of the creeks close to me these days are only accessable by kayak.

However, its fun to put in at Lake Joy and push off into Mossy creek a ways. All Electric. Its also fun to put in at Houston Lake and push back towards Lake Joy by creek. All Electric. And it used to be awesome to put in at Mossy Lake and push back towards Houston Lake by way of Mossy Creek, but its been bought and sold and is now a 'residents only' lake. Mossy Creek in general has some really fun fishing all the way to the Ocmulgee.

The problem lies in the fact that in Middle Georgia, so many of the waters have been bought, fenced, privatized, or gobbled up by the military. Just recently (as you may know), i learned that one of my 'childhood' fishing holes was no longer public...and i learned it the hard way....

HOWEVER, i DO have many a fishing hole on reserve, so if you're ever out and about, and wanna see some spots, you just holler at your boy Hacksaw and we'll get TO IT!

alright then..

Dewaholic

Hack, was that invitation just for Jeff or any of us folks here in the Warner Robins/Middle Ga area?

UXO and myself were thinking of hittin the Pikes ponds next friday morning. If I can catch a couple 4+ pounders then it would be worth the $5.

kbswear

Thanks for the info. I've lived in WarTown for 12 years and my Grandparents all thier lives and i've never heard of these ponds. I've been looking for nice ponds to fish w/my daughter instead of taking the boat out on the big lakes all the time.

HacksawJimWagons

Hack, was that invitation just for Jeff or any of us folks here in the Warner Robins/Middle Ga area?

UXO and myself were thinking of hittin the Pikes ponds next friday morning. If I can catch a couple 4+ pounders then it would be worth the $5.

nah, contrary to popular belief, i'm a friendly dude....holler at me PM anytime..

but i will let you know that to catch the 4+ pounders out on Pike's Ponds, you're going to have to be veeeeeeeeery crafty....there are ALOT of big bass in these little ponds.

Most of them live out under the vegetation. If you've ever fished out at Lake Joy, welcome to the condensed version. Small pond, much vegetation, big fish.

some might even tell you that its not worth the trouble to try and catch the big ones, but to me, its all part of the fun...

GOOD LUCK!.....go gettem..

HacksawJimWagons

Wow....

Well....I hit ol Pike's Ponds for the first time this afternoon since spring...

WHAT HAPPENED?

the place looks horrible...its awfully low, and the pads and grass have COMPLETELY taken over....Goose Poo everywhere....in just a few months, the place has gone waaaaaaaaay downhill....

I have a feeling the old man that manages the ponds had some projects up his sleeve, but just didnt have the time or stamina to finish them and it left the ponds looking BAD...

i'd hate to say it, but after recommending Pike's Ponds, i'd now have to say DONT DO IT!!...i did catch a few, but it was totally not worth it...

I wouldnt count Pike's Ponds out forever, but its obvious that management has a few kinks to work out before the ponds are restored to thier past glory.....

sorry folks...

UXO

Thanks for posting the update Jim, guess we won't be heading out there next week after all!

Icecold

where

Jim if you want them to stay good spots better to keep em between you and me. I will be waiting on the PM:rofl:

When I was stationed here before Leisure lake was a creek after the flood. Now that it has water is it public? Or worth it if it is?

HacksawJimWagons

not a public lake.....

but i'll tell you that Sandy Run Creek, which feeds Leisure Lake and flows on the other side of the dam is FULL of fish...

the problem is its bad bad nasty....trash everywhere...horrible...

UXO

I lived in an apartment on Leisure Lake for a year. I caught more eels and turtles out of there than anything, but did land a few cats and a couple small bass. From what I was told they all but drain the entire thing every few years for dock/dam repairs and maintenance.

Icecold

i lived 12 mos in that dump in 96, they owe me 12 months of awesome leisurely fishing right

Last edited:
so is this where we're going after your outlaw stint?

not a public lake.....

but i'll tell you that Sandy Run Creek, which feeds Leisure Lake and flows on the other side of the dam is FULL of fish...

the problem is its bad bad nasty....trash everywhere...horrible...

HacksawJimWagons

^^you caught me....the honeycomb hideout....

you know, when i'm not robbing banks or running circles around the game warden making my 'nah-nah' face, i'm fishing legally, for the world to see.....

at crappie(wink) pay ponds..