Pivot/Takedown Pins

rosewood

i can agree that play in a bolt gun may affect accuracy. I believe I understand how different torques can affect the harmonics of an action and cause a shift in the POI.

If you get a chance, read up on the hinge pin on the Encore. There is a whole school of thought on why you need a tight fitting hinge pin to improve accuracy.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
that may be the case for an Encore, I don't have one.
as rayjay stated the AR should be loose enough to start the pin push with a round if not your finger. Most of mine I have to apply some kind pressure to the rear of the upper to start the pin with my finger but not with some other device.

rayjay

This isn't a target rifle. It's a hunting rifle / self defense / plinker rifle that will eventually shoot loose no matter what you do. Especially with harder recoiling rounds like the OP is using.

cmshoot

Upper and lower play in an AR does not effect accuracy, but overly stiff takedown pins can be annoying. I would just go with the lube recommendations until it’s been shot a while and disassembled/reassembled a bunch of times. It will loosen up on its own.

An AR isn’t like a bolt action rifle, where the action to stock fitment is critical to accuracy/repeatability. A good example that proves this is to zero a bolt action rifle, then remove it from that stock/chassis and drop it into a different one. I guarantee you’ll have a shift in zero. Zero an AR, then remove the upper, drop it onto a different lower, and the zero remains the same.