Plant ID poor planning

Curvebow05

Yesterday we were doing a little spot and stalk through the swamp and found some small, bright green, pear shaped fruit/nut that the deer seemed to be eating. Buddy called it a swamp chestnut, I haven't seen them before. Can't find anything online resembling this. It was about 1" by 1/2" and I broke one open and red juice squirted out. Obviously I was a little slow minded yesterday and didn't take a picture. Looked more like a fruit than a nut when I squeezed it and the juice squirted everywhere. Any ideas on what this is scientifically?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Not much information. Was it growing on a Tree, bush, vine ????

Could be a pawpaw

Curvebow05

I know, I wasn't thinking about trying to identify at the time, too busy pig searching. It was from a tree. It was in an open swamp bottom along the creek. Found several spots. With them and they were all littered with tracks. This was near Millen, and yesterday if that helps. The fruits were no larger than maybe half of my index finger.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say from that description. Look up Ogechee lime and see if that's it. Could also be some type pf plum. What county?

Curvebow05

Hard to say from that description. Look up Ogechee lime and see if that's it. Could also be some type pf plum. What county?

It's in Burke County. It was a shape kind of between a bean and pear. What is a PF plum? This was in a high canopy swamp bottom. I'm no arborist so I apologize for the bad info.
Edit: it is definitely Ogeechee Lime going from fruit shape. Looks like maybe the winds blew some out of the trees before they were ripe as these were all green. They were definitely getting eaten though either by hogs or deer. Thanks for the help!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's in Burke County. It was a shape kind of between a bean and pear. What is a PF plum? This was in a high canopy swamp bottom. I'm no arborist so I apologize for the bad info.
Edit: it is definitely Ogeechee Lime going from fruit shape. Looks like maybe the winds blew some out of the trees before they were ripe as these were all green. They were definitely getting eaten though either by hogs or deer.
A "pf" plum is a sloppy typer who misspelled "of," I meant to say it could be some kind of plum. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check the Ogeechee lime?