Plant ID

Knotwild

This clover like plant showed up on the island I manage after flooding caused by the recent hurricanes brushing by. It appeared pretty much where flooding occurred and not in the rest of the yard. It is so thick it chokes out the grass, is hard to mow, and it stinks when you mow it. I am going to hit it with 2,4-D shortly. But I am curious - what is it?

Thanks

Plant Small.jpg

Plant 2 Small.jpg

Plant 3 Small.jpg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Learned something new today! Can I still hate it? :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like yellow hop clover or black medick.

doomtrpr_z71

You indeed can still hate it since they are fairly similar, I would probably add dicamba to help clean it up, just in case.

across the river

Looks like yellow hop clover or black medick.

Wouldn't it be black medic since the stem on the middle leaf is longer than the stem on the other two. I think with yellow hop clover the stems are all the same length roughly like a regular clover leaf, but I could be wrong. 2, 4D will kill either one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't it be black medic since the stem on the middle leaf is longer than the stem on the other two. I think with yellow hop clover the stems are all the same length roughly like a regular clover leaf, but I could be wrong. 2, 4D will kill either one.
Yep, looks more like black medick. Just trying to guess from the pics.

Knotwild

Thanks for looking at this. I think one clue is that I am seeing this stuff growing where hurricane surge water came up. I assume that the salt may have hindered the grass and given whatever it is an edge in competition. That makes more sense than the idea that it floated in. The store at the marina across the river has it growing where it was flooded also.

It doesn't look like the pictures of oxalis, black medic, or yellow hop.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I think its lesser hop clover
Looks like Doomtrpr z71 is correct.
Small-Hop-Clover1.jpg