Planting corn

Hookedup

Looking at planting around 5-6 rows of corn this year for my summer plot. My two plots are still pretty wet right now. When is the latest you have ever planted corn and had it germinate and grow well?

RootConservative

Where I hunt in South Georgia the farmer at one of my properties has had 2 corn crops a couple of times. He cut in August and during cutting planted again at same time and had successful second crop.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
When do you want it to be mature? Bow season?

Do you know what "maturity" of corn you'll be planting, as an example 120 day corn?

You've got lots of time, in fact I might wait till May first, if you're shooting for it to be mature by Bow Season and it's 120 day corn.

Corn wants lots of moisture and lots of Nitrogen, to do real good.

Hookedup

True. Didn’t think about maturity date. Mainly for bow season or being left standing throughout the season. It’s 120. Makes it easy enough to plan. This plot is right next to a small river. Usually gets plenty of moisture. Plus it’s really dark heavy dirt that holds moisture for long periods.

Dean

Anyone enjoyed a good crop of corn planted by broadcasting? prefer to drill but broadcasting may only choice...….

Canuck5

Fertilized, disced, broadcast corn and lightly disced back over top. Broadcasted at the rate of 25 pounds per acre. Turkeys got some.

Attachments

• 2013-08-03_11-29-26_149.jpg
    2013-08-03_11-29-26_149.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 21

doomtrpr_z71

Minimum and optimum temperature for germination:
  • Corn: minimum 46° F; optimum 86° F
50° F 25 days to emerge
55-60° F 10-14 days to emerge
65-70° F 5-8 days to emerge
75-80° F 4 days to emerge

KILLNTM

Are weeds a big problem when you're dealing with broadcast corn? I assume one of the benefits to row planting is being able to cultivate between the rows.

doomtrpr_z71

Are weeds a big problem when you're dealing with broadcast corn? I assume one of the benefits to row planting is being able to cultivate between the rows.
Conventional corn has decent herbicide choices, broadcast is going to result in reduced yield, pollination issues, and for sure rooting issues. But for a food plot it is doable.

Canuck5

"Are weeds a big problem when you're dealing with broadcast corn? I assume one of the benefits to row planting is being able to cultivate between the rows."

You're not trying to get 200 bpa. If you got 100 bpa, you'd be dancing in your food plot. You'll have some big ears and small ears, but the deer won't care. To get 100 bpa, you'll need to apply roughly 100 pounds per acre of actual nitrogen.

I don't know too many farmers that cultivate anymore, but use herbicides where needed.

You can still spray, with a broadcast plot. You're just going to run over some of the corn. Some will come back and some won't. Just be careful and methodical when you spray. If you have a 4 wheeler/sprayer, you won't be spraying when the corn is 12" tall. All your spraying will be done before then and you'll just hope that the taller corn out competes the weeds.

If you fertilize and use the right amount of nitrogen, get enough rain and heat (units), your corn will take off, overpower weeds and you'll then start to worry about your next battle ..... raccoons! :) A 1/2 acre can get wiped out pretty quick.

Corn is an expensive crop to grow, for deer, but is a good attractant for a short period of time, unless you've got many more acres than the deer can eat. The following year, you'll have volunteer corn come back, from kernels that were dropped by the deer and raccoons. If you used a RoundUp Ready corn, you'll have to use a mechanical means to kill it or something like clethodim and crop oil.