Planting Cypress Trees in pond

C.J.

anyone know where to buy cypress trees to transplant into an area that will be flooded? Can it be done?

GAGE

GONetwork Member
There is a women out of Commerce that sells Bald Cypress seedlings and small trees on Craigslist. Do a search under Farm and Garden, and you will see her adds.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Got my own cones off of wild trees and started some myself. Broke open the cones and placed the seed between layers of wet paper towels in a plastic bag. Left the bag on the window sill for a couple of days and the seeds sterted to pop. Once the seeds sprouted I kept moving the best/biggest ones to larger and larger containers. Planted the three best along the shoreline of the pond behind my house. Biggest is now pushing 40 ft tall in 12 or 15 yrs.

Be aware that they do grow much faster if they are not submerged totally, so plant them where they can get at least some of their roots dry.

Good luck.

Jeff

Big7

The Oracle
Not to derail the thread and I don't know a lot about
cypress except they are a valuable wood $$$ wise.

My question:
Why do you want them in a food plot.
Just curious. Thanks!

Gut_Pile

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say he wants them in a food plot?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a few native plant nurseries sell them. I've planted quite a few over the years. They will live almost anywhere.

Big7

The Oracle
Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say he wants them in a food plot?

My clue was it's in the food Plots/Supplemental Feeding
forum where OP states:
"area that will be flooded".

I just asked a simple question. :huh:

Do you have the answer?

Mexican Squealer

They make good cover and look nice in my duck impoundments. I planted a couple hundred sawtooths in there that same year. Sawtooths putting out a pile of acorns.

C.J.

forum where OP states:

Do you have the answer?

I am planting them so this seemed like the most relevant thread

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am planting them so this seemed like the most relevant thread

Yes. This is not just the "Food Plot" forum. It also includes "Gardening," landscapes, and all related stuff.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
forum where OP states:

Do you have the answer?

Think "Duck hunting" here.;) Flooded timber is the bomb and if you have cypress trees in a flooded impound you're likely to have ducks.

Big7

The Oracle
Think "Duck hunting" here.;) Flooded timber is the bomb and if you have cypress trees in a flooded impound you're likely to have ducks.

Ten fo'..

Like I said, I was just curious. :cheers: