Planting Feed Corn?

Has anybody ever tried to take a bag of whole corn and plant it like you would a food plot. I know it would probably not make corn, but I bet it would grow some green.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Are you talking about deer corn? I have after I've done a Rag-Doll test for germination. If the corn that is bagged is heated too much, to dry it out, to keep it from going moldy, it can kill the germ, so verifying that it will germinate will be important.

You'll never know, for sure what kind of corn you will get, but you're not worried about that. I've had some that did very well and I have had some that were eaten up by the turkey's and deer, after it came out of the ground.

2013-08-03_11-29-26_149.jpg

Yeah, I'm talking about bagged deer corn. I notice when I pour corn out, it starts to germinate, but it never lasts long. I'm assuming the deer/traffic hammer it, but I was wondering how it would do if you plant it in a plowed field and cover the seed?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I've planted it and I've broadcast it. Broadcasting, I spread about 25 pounds to the acre and covered the seed with a disc. Corn likes to be covered 1 1/2" - 2" deep. It also likes lots of nitrogen.

Planter.JPG

Killdee

I might try broadcasting and disking some next year, I’d like to have some dried corn standing to hunt and bush hog some lanes and plant cereal grain.

If it were me I would go ahead and buy hybrid seed corn, it has more vigor. Reason why I say that is hybrid corn will not come back true if you save the seed the seed and plant it and that's what you would get with deer corn. Open pollenated corn, you can save the seed and plant it and it will be the same. You can plant hybrid seed corn a lot thicker than open pollenated,just be sure you give it the nitrogen it needs. The seed will cost more but with the work and time you invest in it ,it would be worth it.