Planting Oats question

bnew17

Normally we plant our oats with a drill, but this year we may not have access to it. Will i get a good germination rate if i broadcast the seed after we harrow and drag over them with a piece of chainlink fence? Its actually like a 4ft x 4ft gate and i could pull it with my four wheeler. Just wanted to some inout before invested into the seed etc.

fishingtiger

I didnt even cover mine a few weeks back and got pretty good germination rate. I am sure covering it would have helped but I got mine out right before a rain and it got it going pretty good.

Cole Henry

You will have great results. Or just lightly (Shallow) disc the oats back in after you spread seed. Oats will germinate pretty deep and shallow

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You will need to increase the amount of seed you plant by dragging instead of drilling the seed.

Lilly001

After I sow mine I go over with the disc set strait in the front and at the first hole in the back. I go at 4.5 to 5 mph and I get good coverage.
It also puts the oats in nice rows and levels the ground at the same time.

Lilly001

The above only works in dry seed bed. If it's wet, I drag the seed in.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Oats are pretty easy to grow. I usually just spread my fertilizer and seed then disc in. No need to drag unless you are mixing some smaller seed as well like maybe rape or radish. If so spread those after you cut in the oats then drag.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you plant before it rains and use your drag you will get excellent germination. As other have said discs will get the job done too but the name of that game is don't disc them in too deep.

treemanjohn

Banned
Personally I don't like discing after spreading seed. Also, keep in mind that when you use a disc you'll turn up the seed bank causing a ton of weed and undesirables to germinate

Last fall I threw Coker Oats on the ground and let it rain in. I had 4 acres of solid green in a month

Killdee

Just worth mentioning, the plots we cut in two weeks ago germinated faster and quicker than the 2 we drug in.