Planting yet?

OleRed15

Is anyone planning on planting plots this weekend with the 5-6 day forecast calling for rain all next week? It’s a little earlier than I usually plant and I’m worried about heat and drought but I’m tempted to go ahead with planting. Thoughts??

specialk

thinking real hard.....we're between atlanta and macon…..Saturday after the hunt...we've disced and fert. already, just need to drag, seed , and cover.....

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I've got the itch!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..... but still too warm for me to scratch it. It is nice to see a "chance" of rain next week, tho!

OleRed15

Yeah I’ve got the itch bad but I’m not sure if I’m gonna pull the trigger and plant. Everything is prepped and ready just waiting on weather and temps now. I’m south Houston county and Dooly

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have 2 locations/leases to do plots that will probably involve 2 weekends. We are hoping 9/21-22 and 9/28-29 are suitable.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm going to hit my clover plots with lime and 0-20-20 along with some 2-4-Db and Clehtodim this weekend and maybe plant one small plot. Won't do the big push for a couple of weeks yet. It's just too hot and dry to throw a bunch of money in the ground and hope for the best.

OleRed15

It’s definitely gonna cost a lot of money and I’d hate to have to spend double on replanting if heat kills what comes up if we get another hot and dry spell after this a weekend. Maybe I’ll shoot for next weekend or the following weather depending

SRShunter

I'm planning on putting a little seed to the dirt come the end of the month. If not it will be around the 5th of October

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Almost every time I tried planting early either weather or army worms took the plots.

Canuck5

I've got everything on order, waiting for me to tell them I coming. It looks like the "chance" of rain for my plots, evaporated for next week.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Until the ground temp decrease into the high. 70,s or lower I am waiting.Seed and labor are to expensive to feed the birds.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The thing about winter crops is the deer love them the most just as they come out the ground. Hit it hard. I mix some peas. The next time they like it is when the frost come and kill back natural green growth.
On my bigger plots I like to plant 1/2 the last week of bow season or about in that area. Then the other the 1st week in nov. the reason then is it gives fresh spouts again around the rut. Does like that and bucks like does.
Sometime I have a strip at the edge I don’t plant. Just harrow it every now and then. I don’t know what it is but deer come to fresh turned dirt.
If I had a small patch that was well shaded and wanted to bow hunt that I would plant some oats and peas now.

Just a little of the things I have noticed that I do. It varies from year to year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
soil temp at pine mountain is 78 degrees at 4 in depth with a moisture content of 37%.Need to wait a few more weeks.

I just looked at the Wx for next week. It's very tempting to plant this weekend. ::gone:

Canuck5

Elfiii must be hogging all the good weather.

Weather.JPG