Please, Stop calling RV'ing Camping

NOYDB

BANNED
Mom had a 56 cadillac. We went from Anchorage, AK to Superior, WI to Baldwyn, MS, real camping the whole way. Another trip started at Portland. OR and included on the route back home from Baldwyn, Mexican border towns and Santa Barbara, CA. Dad being a lifer built up his vacation time and we would be on the road two months at a time. We had a 10 person tent. Myself and my younger sister got good at our chores putting the tent up every night.

Remember Kampgrounds of America? We stayed at most them, west of the mississippi.

I've camped in every major park west of the river and some in Canada. That Cadi was driven up and down the Alaska highway. It was seafoam green and white. One of my earliest memories was a berry picking trip with mom. When we drove that cadi across a split in half log being used as a bridge. Mom and her friend pulled up next to a logging crew to ask where the berries were. Even more than 50 years later I can still see their faces when the young mothers stopped the cadi to ask for directions.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Don't forget the loud generators running all night long.

I seen a man running a generator at the wma all the wau through a quiet night so his 2 light bulbs could work? Easily cold enough for an ice chest and propane heat to last forever, so we figure just the lights. Those were the early 90's when generators werent that widely excepted in traditionally quiet primitive campground.

Also saw Billy pour sugar in that guy's gas tank.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
We're tent campers in my immediate household. We have 2 main rules:

1. Don't go tent camping without a theme: fishing, lake trip, sporting event, hunting. Some reason to camp other than sitting there 24 hrs looking at eachother.

2. If you're tent camping with children and the weather aint right...scrap it. Sure, you'll survive. But at what cost? The idea that a tent is going to shelter you through a thunderstorm is a lie, lol.

red neck richie

I use flint and steel but spark it into a cotton ball covered in Vaseline. It will catch a spark and stay lit. I know its cheating but It works well even in wet conditions.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
If I'm camping, it's in a tent. I used to do without the tent and just sleep in the open on the ground, but I'm gettin' old and soft now. :) I'm way too lazy to drag a big camping trailer along and go to the trouble of setting it up to camp for the weekend. And I don't even have A/C at home.

Nic, I use either a horseweed hand drill spindle on a tulip poplar hearthboard; or a Bic, depending on the mood I'm in. :)
I've got Horse fennel spindles, just waiting on my poplar to drop me a hearth. Also got a steel I had a blacksmith make me at Tannehill in Alabama, and some flint from the same location. I keep a small bag of fat lighter shavings and have a couple of tins I can whip up some char-cloth in if the need be. There is always the Bic for backup though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We're tent campers in my immediate household. We have 2 main rules:

1. Don't go tent camping without a theme: fishing, lake trip, sporting event, hunting. Some reason to camp other than sitting there 24 hrs looking at eachother.

2. If you're tent camping with children and the weather aint right...scrap it. Sure, you'll survive. But at what cost? The idea that a tent is going to shelter you through a thunderstorm is a lie, lol.
A great big tarp is your best friend. Preferably one that covers about 1/4 acre. We camped last weekend through pouring rain and thunderstorms, had a great time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've got Horse fennel spindles, just waiting on my poplar to drop me a hearth. Also got a steel I had a blacksmith make me at Tannehill in Alabama, and some flint from the same location. I keep a small bag of fat lighter shavings and have a couple of tins I can whip up some char-cloth in if the need be. There is always the Bic for backup though.
I've seen horseweed, and I've seen dog fennel, but I ain't never seen no horse fennel. ::ke:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them Weber charcoal lighter cubes work pretty good too. :rofl:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I've seen horseweed, and I've seen dog fennel, but I ain't never seen no horse fennel. ::ke:
That's what we always called it. It would settle the horses stomachs if they got to actin up. I reckon it's just regular old fennel, but we called it by what we used it for. :huh: Or it could be dog fennel, but I ain't never seen a dog eat it. :rofl:

NugeForPres

I have done both, but my family has really enjoyed our travel trailer. Works for us.

T-N-T

I love when I go RVing. I love having 3 TVs in the woods hooked to a satellite dish. And a walk-in shower. It's the best!

Also, I love when I hang in a hammock between two trees in a sleeping bag with a campfire cracking. It too is the best!

I will continue doing both to the best of my abilities.

red neck richie

A good technique for true campers Glampers dont bother to watch.<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artfuldodger

I don`t need to mess with poison ivy. Folks grow out of it, and folks grow into it. Daddy finally grew into it at 87, not long before he passed. I`m still waiting to grow out of it.

I've heard it explained that way as well. It never bothered me until I was 16. Then I got it every summer for three years in a row. I felt like it was in my system and I wasn't even exposed to it. Probably was though. It don't do me as bad but I guess I'm slowly growing out of it.

Artfuldodger

I look at RV camping as an alternative to staying in a Motel. You can go out doing things all day and come back to your on house. Your own bedding and no noisy elevator crowd. Some noise though like living in a trailer park.

Camping to me includes car camping, sandbar canoeing camping, and backpacking. Each one requires a different type of gear. Made the swap from tent to hammock and rain fly a few years back. I like being a hanger better than a ground dweller.

If car camping I do like to stay a few days as we tend to overdo bringing the extras. We did have a pop-up a few years back which was nice. We'd bring a canoe, coolers, bicycles, fireside chairs, beach chairs, floats, inner tubes, Bocce, washer game, other games, dining canopy, fans, firewood, fat lighther, grills, smokers, dutch oven, coleman lanterns and stove, giant shoulder camcorder, boombox, axes, saws, fishing tackle, and a mess of other smaller items.
I'll bet our gear weighed as much as our pop-up.

All that to load up and I did dread it. Then do it all again when you got home.

We don't take near that much any more but still take too much when car camping. Actually we still take too much backpacking as well.
Backpacking you pretty much got it all in your pack. Just gotta throw in some Ramen noodles and go.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Camp.JPG

All this talk and no pictures? Y'all are slacking! :LOL:

Never camped in anything but a tent. Dad and I will set up our tent and leave it up the entire hunting season, so it will be there when we want to camp. We'll bring jugs of water to wash pots/pans with, and to wash ourselves off. We do bring a small gas stove to cook on.

Hot or cold, we will be camping in a tent. And as strange as it may sound, we have never been ones to build campfires. So if its cold, we'll simply put on some extra clothes, and have a cup of hot chocolate or coffee. And we have camped many times during some freezing temps.

After a few days of camping, one starts to get a little ripe. I've washed completely naked on many a cold night. Scent-free bottle of liquid soap, and 2 gallon jugs of cold water to rinse off with. First I'll lather up real good with the liquid soap, then pour those gallon jugs of water on top of my head and body to rinse off. And you dang better believe it's cold! That's why I get dad to hold the shotgun on me and promise to shoot if I don't want to go through with it.

:rofl::rofl:

Nothing more enjoyable than camping out in the wild, in a tent. You can lay in that tent, listening to all the creatures of the night come alive. Hearing the howl of a pack of coyotes, the hooting of an owl, and the crickets and frogs singing their music. That never gets old to me. I love it!