Plotmaster

Any idea what a frontier plotmaster FP1206 model would be worth? It's in really good condition and I'm thinking about buying it. The pic wont load for some reason but it looks like a piece of equipment that would really cut down on time associated with my food plots.

Longhorn 16

In my experience it takes a whole lot more horsepower to pull one then what they recommend.

I hope you have a tractor and not a four wheeler.

davidhelmly

When Triple C sees this he will respond, not sure what model he has but it sounds like he really likes it.

Triple C

Any idea what a frontier plotmaster FP1206 model would be worth? It's in really good condition and I'm thinking about buying it. The pic wont load for some reason but it looks like a piece of equipment that would really cut down on time associated with my food plots.

Doc - I've had the Plotmaster 600 series since 2011. It was one of the 1st pieces of equipment I bought after acquiring my land. We use it to put in all of our fall plots each year. I like it, but I don't love it. The 600 series has 2 sets of discs with the front set being adjustable. I removed the spring tines due to dead grass clogging up in front of them. Has the chain mat behind the seed box and the cultipacker that folds off of the unit when planting. Once you figure out how to use it then you can truly do a one pass planting. The key is killing everything in the plot a few weeks ahead of planting. We normally spray gly 1st of September and then plant in October. Once everthing is good and dead, the disc will open the ground and the seed box will drop seed on top of the ground with a bunch of it going in the furrows opened by the disc. The chain drag and cultipacker do a decent job of covering the furrows in a manner that once germination occurs, it will have the appearance of being drilled.

Having said all of that, if I had a do-over I would have went with the Woods seeder (same model David is getting), or the Firminator. Those units are more compact with more of the weight over center mass and are ground driven. The Plotmaster is a much bulkier unit and is motor driven rather than ground driven. The wiring on the Plotmaster allows you to attach the connectors directly to the battery on your tractor. In our case, we use a marine battery set between our legs on the tractor and attach to it. It has a toggle switch to engage the motor in the auger to drop seed. I've had a fuse go bad year before last and had to stop and go to store to replace. This past season, we had a shortage and lost power to the motor which turned out to be a pain in the rear. Keep in mind, that unless you keep it covered and out of the elements, the wiring will be exposed to the weather with the usual issues of UV damage to the rubber coating and potential problems with anything electric that sits out in the weather. We keep ours covered but over the years, the elements take their toll on exposed wiring and possibly the motor.

I paid a little north of $6K back in 2011 and have got 8 planting season on it so far. If I have to start replacing electrical stuff then I'll be spending more money on it. Other than the bulkiness of the unit and the fact that it is motor driven rather than ground driven, it is built like a tank. Powder coat paint still has the unit looking very good. Hardly any rust at all. And it's a heavy unit. Mine is 1288 lbs.

I'll keep using it but at some point in the future, I'll prolly replace with a Woods or Firminator. If you get a great deal on it then it will certainly do the job with just one pass thru your field. Just be aware of the electrical concerns.

Jim Boyd

I wish.....

I am stuck with harrows and a cut down grain drill.

shdw633

I just got the Plotmaster 400. Haven't used it yet but already wishing for the grain drill attachement. I think I can build one for less than the $400 plus price they want for one.

Triple C

I just got the Plotmaster 400. Haven't used it yet but already wishing for the grain drill attachement. I think I can build one for less than the $400 plus price they want for one.
shdw...You want need the grain drill attachment. I got one when I purchased and never used it.

shdw633

shdw...You want need the grain drill attachment. I got one when I purchased and never used it.

I have a serious turkey issue and am worried that I won't get the seed covered up enough to keep them from eating every seed I put out. Do you think this will be able to get the majority of the seed covered and away from turkey and other birds eyes?

Triple C

I have a serious turkey issue and am worried that I won't get the seed covered up enough to keep them from eating every seed I put out. Do you think this will be able to get the majority of the seed covered and away from turkey and other birds eyes?
You will be pleasantly surprised at how much of the seed is going to be covered in the disc furrrows when the drag mat and cultipacker go over it. We have a bazillion crows and an increasing population of turkeys. They get their fair share of what seed doesn’t drop in the furrows but even much of that seed gets covered with the drag mat.

shdw633

Thanks Triple C!! I'll hold off and see how it goes without it then!!