Plots are up

Huntin 4 More

We planted last weekend and got a little rain but I'm not sure it was enough. Can't wait to get out there this weekend and check the actual rain gauge and see how much seed I lost to the turkeys. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas or a kid about to get a scolding from the old man LOL Will see which one I get.

Deernut3

Well it took a while but here is a pic. of the backyard plot

Attachments

• 20181003_163955.jpg
    20181003_163955.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 94

releehweoj

Ours look pretty sad. Planted 8 acres with 200 #s of wheat and 200 #s of oats. 30#s each of turnips and rape. Have had adequate rain. Turnips are up but spotty. Wheat just now coming up - can't tell about the oats. Johnson grass and nut grass look great (sarcasm). I think it's the heat...

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I really want to harrow under the pea patch and plant oats and radishes but I'm waiting. 91* here today and hasn't rained in a week.

davidhelmly

I really want to harrow under the pea patch and plant oats and radishes but I'm waiting. 91* here today and hasn't rained in a week.
DF, don’t plow understand your food that’s growing, just overseed your oats and radish into it. It’s looking like we may get some tropical storm rain in 2-3 days.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
What are the pros and cons @davidhelmly ? I like to disk under to put the organic material back in the dirt. plus I just enjoy the tractor time! I'm planning on planting sunn hemp in the spring-- maybe 2 crops before next fall- to add even more green manure. I'm not opposed to over seeding.. seems it's all the rage now- just wondering if it's a better way

davidhelmly

What are the pros and cons @davidhelmly ? I like to disk under to put the organic material back in the dirt. plus I just enjoy the tractor time! I'm planning on planting sunn hemp in the spring-- maybe 2 crops before next fall- to add even more green manure. I'm not opposed to over seeding.. seems it's all the rage now- just wondering if it's a better way
Overseeding keeps you from cleaning the diner table and leaving the deer with nothing to eat in that plot for several weeks. If you plow and plant, best case scenario you will have a 3 to maybe 6 week period with zero to very little food there and the deer that have been feeding there are going somewhere else to feed, if you overseed it they will continue to eat your peas until the oats and radish germinate and gets up big enough for them to eat also. I’m just assuming that this is a hunting plot and that you will be wanting to hunt it within the next month or so.
I’m just throwing out an idea and I do understand the relaxation and enjoyment of riding a tractor but I am just thinking more from a hunting aspect and keeping the deer on the plot and in the area. Let us know what you do and how it turns out, good luck either way! ?

Deernut3

I overseeded the plots in Georgia this past weekend. I put Abrzzi Rye, Oats, clover and radish over sorghum and sunflowers. I don't normally do that but with a few consecutive days of rain forecast it should do fine.

releehweoj

Over seeded mine today with wheat. Got a couple of showers during that time and expecting 4-6” tonight, tomorrow and Thursday.