Plumbing Permit Question

QuackAttack101

I know it's going to vary from one municipality to the other, but here's my issue. My water line coming into my house is leaking about 15' from the meter. I'm too cheap to pay a plumber for something like that. My question is can I (legally) repair this without being a licensed plumber? Also, do I need any permits? I'm in the city of Smyna in case anyone has any first hand knowledge around there. I looked on the city's website but was in a hurry and figured this may be quicker. Thanks in advance.

hopper

Dont know about the permits, but when I have a leak on my side I fix it myself. You could just call and ask without disclosing the property address.

jeardley

You can make this repair without pulling a permit/being a licensed plumber as long as its your side of the meter. If you want to replace the whole line then a permit would be required.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Dig it up and fix it. Do not use a Sharkbite.

Killdee

I will just say when we did permit remodeling in Smyrna, they were very strict and required permits for every little job. They go by the book period, Cobb county was much more relaxed.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You are not required to be a licensed plumber anywhere in GA to repair your own pipes.

You may be required to get a permit for the work. And.......call 811 before you dig.

Jeff Raines

I will just say when we did permit remodeling in Smyrna, they were very strict and required permits for every little job. They go by the book period, Cobb county was much more relaxed.
A lot of pig belly must get his money

boatbuilder

I know it's going to vary from one municipality to the other, but here's my issue. My water line coming into my house is leaking about 15' from the meter. I'm too cheap to pay a plumber for something like that. My question is can I (legally) repair this without being a licensed plumber? Also, do I need any permits? I'm in the city of Smyna in case anyone has any first hand knowledge around there. I looked on the city's website but was in a hurry and figured this may be quicker. Thanks in advance.

It’s your house and your paying for the water. Just fix your pipe.

Every time someone asks this question it gives the local tyrants more power.

QuackAttack101

It’s your house and your paying for the water. Just fix your pipe.

Every time someone asks this question it gives the local tyrants more power.

Well the reason I ask is because the city will refund my last two outrageous water bills if I show them there was a leak that was repaired. If I can't legally fix it, I wasn't going to ask the city for a refund. Still cheaper than a plumber. If I can legally fix it, then I was going send them pictures and home depot receipts.

Trust me. I agree. My property so I fixed it. Just didn't want to ask for a refund of overages if that was just going to get me a citation.

Like Bobby Boucher's coach said, "What momma don't know, won't hurt her"

boatbuilder

Well the reason I ask is because the city will refund my last two outrageous water bills if I show them there was a leak that was repaired. If I can't legally fix it, I wasn't going to ask the city for a refund. Still cheaper than a plumber. If I can legally fix it, then I was going send them pictures and home depot receipts.

Trust me. I agree. My property so I fixed it. Just didn't want to ask for a refund of overages if that was just going to get me a citation.

might still be worth a try. Sounds like you made an “emergency repair” to me.
They might want to send an inspector out before it’s covered up.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Why not SharkBite? Just curious.

I needed to make some connections on a water line to add a T for a stand pipe during construction on about a 16 houses. I asked the guy at Home Depot if Sharkbites could be used in ground because I was concerned that movement could make them release and the packaging didn't say anything about not using them in ground. He said no problem.

When we discontinued the stand pipe we capped them off below grade. About 18 months later we had a Sharkbite cap blow off. We dug it up and glued a cap on.
About another month later another cap blew off(from 12" below grade). I assumed it must have been improperly installed, but now I was wondering if there may be another issue. Another month goes by and another below grade Sharkbite cap blows off. We found this cap and it was severely corroded.

I Googled "Sharkbite in ground" and the Sharkbite website states that in ground use requires the fitting to be 100% sealed with silicone tape.

Great.

I have been digging up irrigation and standpipe tie ins on 16 houses this week to replace the standpipe Sharkbite t's with Pex crimp fittings and the two Sharbite couplings the landscaper used to tie the Pex waterline into his PVC irrigation pipe.

Have 11 done so far.

edit: Sharkbite should write on their packaging not to use below grade if not wrapped in silicone tape. I have spoken to a couple plumbers and they were not aware Sharkbites needed to be wrapped to be in ground. They stated that the never used Sharkbites anyway.

I also have to dig up two water lines with Sharkbite couplings. The waterline from my well is over 100' and I used a Sharkbite to add 20 feet of line or so. It's 3 feet deep. I also have a basement house going that I used a Sharkbite on the waterline under the front porch. That will be fun to fix.

I should have just spent a few hundred bucks on some good crimpers.

Last edited:

Bigtimber

If government yahoo told me I had to get a permit to fix my pipe on my property.....Id do it myself for sure then.... with bells on.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I needed to make some connections on a water line to add a T for a stand pipe during construction on about a 16 houses. I asked the guy at Home Depot if Sharkbites could be used in ground because I was concerned that movement could make them release and the packaging didn't say anything about not using them in ground. He said no problem.

When we discontinued the stand pipe we capped them off below grade. About 18 months later we had a Sharkbite cap blow off. We dug it up and glued a cap on.
About another month later another cap blew off(from 12" below grade). I assumed it must have been improperly installed, but now I was wondering if there may be another issue. Another month goes by and another below grade Sharkbite cap blows off. We found this cap and it was severely corroded.

I Googled "Sharkbite in ground" and the Sharkbite website states that in ground use requires the fitting to be 100% sealed with silicone tape.

Great.

I have been digging up irrigation and standpipe tie ins on 16 houses this week to replace the standpipe Sharkbite t's with Pex crimp fittings and the two Sharbite couplings the landscaper used to tie the Pex waterline into his PVC irrigation pipe.

Have 11 done so far.

edit: Sharkbite should write on their packaging not to use below grade if not wrapped in silicone tape. I have spoken to a couple plumbers and they were not aware Sharkbites needed to be wrapped to be in ground. They stated that the never used Sharkbites anyway.

I also have to dig up two water lines with Sharkbite couplings. The waterline from my well is over 100' and I used a Sharkbite to add 20 feet of line or so. It's 3 feet deep. I also have a basement house going that I used a Sharkbite on the waterline under the front porch. That will be fun to fix.

I should have just spent a few hundred bucks on some good crimpers.
Good to know. Thanks.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I’d still ask for a refund. You are allowed to work on your own stuff legally.

I’ve worked in utilities all of my life and the municipal I worked for never asked who repaired the water leak. They only went out to read the meter and adjust it in the books and billed the average usage.