Po man's brisket

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
AKA Eye of Round from the south end of the cow. So tough a cut of meat a a buzzard won't even peck at it.

I seasoned it up on all sides real good with Lowry's chicken & poultry seasoning (good on anything, especially poke chops on da grill) browned it real good on all sides in a hot skillet then put it in the instant pot on the trivet with a cup of beef broth a few good shots of liquid smoke and some Worcestershire sauce and let her rip for 45 minutes. Then natural released for 15.

Took it out and put it on a pan with a couple of ladles of the broth over it then smeared it down real good with Sweet Baby Rays and put it under the broiler for 15 minutes.

All in all I had about 1 and a half hour in this dish, start to table.

Ain't a person on this earth could have guessed it started it's life in the kitchen as an Eye of Round. It was mighty tasty.

Attachments

• 20180917_162957_resized.jpg
    20180917_162957_resized.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180917_163317_resized.jpg
    20180917_163317_resized.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 99

MOTS

I love the cut myself, but alot rarer. Somewhere on the net it says heat the oven to 500, insert roast, seasoned how you like it, turn oven off and let it stay 20 minutes a lb. with no peeking whatsoever. Where as 4 lbs would take 80 minutes. Sliced thin it's pretty tender and prime rib pink. Gotta get one of them pots! Looks good MC!

K80Shooter

I like eye of round also...….Good eats right there.

ambush80

That looks good, juicey, even. I bought one on sale once and halved it. One half I braised until it shredded and made Ropa Vieja and I smoked the other half, sliced it thin and made Philly cheese steak French Dip sandwiches. It was all a bit dry for my tastes. I thought about maybe making pastrami with one some day.

GA1dad

Ain't nuffin' wrong with that!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks great! Eye of round has some really good flavor.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
The wife pounded out some eye of round last night and we had "cubed" steak and gravy.

Cubed Steak.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dadgum, Hugh, that looks fit to eat right there.

Oldstick

Man o Man. When I was growing up, we never even heard of brisket and the eye of round was a premium cut of roast beef. My mom was a "well done" cook when it came to meats, but I still remember the eye of round was always the tastiest roast when sliced up against the grain for sammiches.

:)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Doggone good looking eats Hugh. The only two times I'll eat eye of round is when I'm with somebody or by myself. Otherwise I won't touch it.:bounce:

Bream Pole

Hmmmmmm got to try something similar in my electric pressure pot.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Looks real good!!

Why the child’s plate portion?

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
this might have convinced me on the instant pot