Pogies per gallon

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I would imagine it would depend on the size of the bait somewhat.

But we put aprox. 20 in my 30 gallon. They lasted just fine for the day.

Ihunt

There is no exact answer. Depends on wind conditions, salinity, temperature, etc. I have a thirty gallon and ten gallon aboard. I keep the mehaden in the big one and rarely run out of bait.

And what’s the secret to keeping them alive? My water gets all foamy and they die very fast. I usually just drop them in the ice chest now.

hawkdriver

Small live well for me...think its 15 gallon. But with it running we keep a couple dozen alive all day. Usually a ceremonial "release" party by the kids at the end of the day!

Chap

No secret that I know of. I just leave the live well running. Make sure no one is reaching in there with lotion on their hands and keep the lid on.

I think this is the secret that most people don't know. One, leave the live-well running, because they need highly oxygenated water, and the hotter it gets, the more important this becomes. And two, buy a small net to use to scoop your bait. Do not use your hands. Sunscreen and bug spray and lotion will kill your bait faster than a gator trout biting it in half.

LittleDrummerBoy

Couple other tips: live wells that bring in water from the outside of the boat keep nitrates much lower than live wells that only recirculate the same water. Lowering the temperature of the water in the live well also helps. In a larger live well, a gallon jug of ice can help a lot. In smaller live wells, a frozen 16-20 oz water bottle is about right. Keeping the water cooler lowers oxygen use, improves the ability of the water to hold water, and reduces nitrate production.

plumber_1969

A guide told me last week 1.5 pogies per gallon of water. I've got about 50 gallons total between my two live wells and this weekend I will not put more than 50 in them.

Ihunt

A guide told me last week 1.5 pogies per gallon of water. I've got about 50 gallons total between my two live wells and this weekend I will not put more than 50 in them.

Isn’t that 17 too many?