Point Variety

Bow Only

Here is a pic that shows several different point styles. We could probably argue over the types, but what do you think they are? They represent a lot of different types.

The Arredondo is the only arrowhead my grandmother ever found. Her grandmother died on the Trail of Tears and her mother lived on the reservation in Oklahoma until she was old enough to leave.

This is a play along game with no losers. What you got? A hint, none of these have ground bases.

Attachments

• Point variety.jpg
    Point variety.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 70

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What would you call the center point, top row?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not very knowledgeable on deep-south points, but here's my take:

Top row: early Archaic side/corner-notched points. The right one looks like a classic Palmer, but they usually have ground bases.

Middle Row-Mid-Archaic stemmed points, except the left one has an early Kirk look to it.

Bottom row: Early Woodland point, two unfinished preforms.

:)

Bow Only

I'm not very knowledgeable on deep-south points, but here's my take:
Top row: early Archaic side/corner-notched points. The right one looks like a classic Palmer, but they usually have ground bases.
Middle Row-Mid-Archaic stemmed points, except the left one has an early Kirk look to it.
Bottom row: Early Woodland point, two unfinished preforms.
:)
That's pretty good. I'm calling the top left a Greenbriar.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Bow Only

First row, I'd say Greenbriar, Boggy II, worn down Wascissa
2nd row, I'd say Taylor, a Bolen variety, Arredondo
3rd row, I'd say Tallahassee, Woodland preform, Sumter.

On the Tallahassee, it's raw material. Maybe it wasn't finished, but later people wouldn't go through the trouble of working raw material.