Pointing Dog Questions.

Hello, I am going too be getting a pointer or two within the next couple years and desire one that works based on cover, terrain, bird population and habits, as well as my speed, (horseback, walking, etc.) and handling is minimum but good when needed. From my limited research it looks to me the best style of dog that fits my desire would be the AF Horseback Shooting Dog Class (I know with hounds and from what I've read with pointers it's easier to reign in than push out) . I plan on training it for both walking & Horseback shooting dog field trials, and hunting various species of birds. I have never trained a pointing breed so please excuse my ignorance in the questions below.

What Bloodlines/Kennels should I look into ? (PM if preferred)

What Training Program (DVD/Book) is best for this style dog ? As I know it is best to follow a program.

What equipment is needed/recommended ? Have Garmin Alpha.

I want a wild bird dog capable of hunting in the grouse woods or prairies/walking or horseback ft's.

Thanks in Advance, Jacob Segars.

Last edited:

Rebel's Dad

If you find a dog like that, please let me know!

Seriously, if you want to field trial dogs, start going to field trials.

Okay so I know what style dog I want and don't want to start any issues and will find someone that breeds that way besides that what program works best for long range dogs & what equipment is needed for this training.

Jack Ryan

I've got a German Wirehair I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any way you described. I can't take credit for training him much he is a retiree I got from a professional guide. About all it did was explain to him I am the greatest and every thing he gets is a gift from my gracious hands.

He'll do anything I ask him to. Hunt'emup, Eatemup, stop, whoa, getim, fetchit, drop it, getin, getout, sit, stay, come.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Setters, English Pointers, German Shorthairs and even Brittanys could fit the bill. Hopefully coveyrise will chime in as he has considerable experience running his setters with hunters on horseback while he hoofs it on two legs. The American Brittany is distinguished from its cousin, the French Brittany, with longer legs as it was bred for hunting quail here in the South with shooters on horseback. Point being any number of breeds can meet your desired needs. If long range is the predominant need, then I would pick one of the first three breeds as opposed to the Brittany. George Hickcox's videos are good for training a bird dog.

Killinstuff

Hmmmm. Dogs are smart and can adjust to you, where you're hunting, the birds you're after and what you're doing if you let them. That is if you're out there doing it and putting in the time. Breed doesn't matter. My 13 year old Brittney would be 500 yards out on the prairie back in his prime and my 2 year old pointer is 50 to 100 yards in the grouse woods. All my GSP's, and one setter, now since passed, where the same. The Breeder does matter and what they expect from their line long term. I'd pass on the backyard breeder or the guy doing it as a side job. Not to be negative but if you're not super keen on dogs right now all you questions are kinda moot. ALL breeders will tell you their dogs can do this or that if allowed to figure it out and they are right. The dog is the smaller factor in the hunter/dog relationship though. If it's FT you're interested in I'd suggest you attend a couple contests first before you gets dogs. I'm rather sure what you think is a good dog is a cull to them. Get the internet and search breeds and breeders.See what you like. Look at a site like Berg Brothers Setters and see what they are trying to do long term. Judge other breeders off high standers.

I completely agree with you killingstuff . I am very picky about quality and therefore am giving it as long as it takes to do research and find the kennel that best suits my desires and requirements , attend trials, etc. but am truly trying to figure out where I need to start therefore am asking questions.

Last edited:

coveyrise

You should take your time and go ride some trials and look at the different type of dogs run. Once you find the dogs that you like,wait for a good breeding and put your name at the top of the list. I once waited for 2years for a guy to breed the dog I liked. i enjoyed the years I field trailed but can tell you it is expensive and time consuming. Now if I drive for 1000 miles it is to hunt for three days, not run my dogs for an hour. Beware of the trialing bug . It can bite you! As far as dogs go. I like setters. Mine are all Llewellins. Very,very smart. Nothing wrong with other breeds. Just my favorite.
The difference between a setter and a pointer is when you call a setter they come to you. When you call a pointer it will take your name and number and get back with you in a few days.

I am not in a hurry as I want the best dog I can get and will be doing research and saving funds and slowly acquiring equipment and training knowledge.

So now my main questions are what do I need and what is the best training program for a longer ranging versatile breed (GSP) or EP.