Politically correct deer??

MikeyD6

Deleted
Never buy a hybrid car then. Their crankin battery looks just like any other car battery, but it has a higher amperage output than anything you can buy off of the shelf, so they bend you over and painfully extract around $300 from you for juan.

Unless you do a lot of stop and go driving, hybrids are pointless. Paying extra money for a heavy underpowered 4-cylinder engine. I didn't realize they had an expensive high amp starting battery too. One more nail in the coffin for me.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Unless you do a lot of stop and go driving, hybrids are pointless. Paying extra money for a heavy underpowered 4-cylinder engine. I didn't realize they had an expensive high amp starting battery too. One more nail in the coffin for me.
Actually the stop and go city drivin is where they're the least beneficial but even then you're gettin 35 mpg. On the highway on long drives we'd get between 45 and 50 mpg. The 4 cylinder on our Kia Optima Hybrid was a tiger and would scream off the line. The fuel mileage is da bomb. One other thing that made us trade it was the alternator locked up. A new alternator, which is also a generator was gonna be near $800. Ain't nothin on a hybrid cheap to fix. But ours was 6 years old too. We enjoyed it while it lasted but it was time to move on, so we got another Kia Sorento 6 cylinder and can settle for mid to high 30's mpg all the time, except for when my wifes drivin it. Her right foot is made of lead I think.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I bought my wife a Ford C-Max. She has 60k miles on it now, and we haven't had a single problem. Service is long interval too because the gas engine doesn't run all the time. The car notifies you when the oil needs to be changed. That seems to be right around 10,000 miles or so for her. We drive the car all around here, and over the 60k miles we have averaged better than 42mpg.

I filled the car up last night after church, and it was yellow light flashing empty. I couldn't put 12 gallons in it. The readout on the dash say 551miles to empty. There is a readout that pops up on the dash when you turn the car off also, that tells you how many miles that trip was, how many miles were run on electricity, and the MPG of that trip. On the way home last night the trip finished at 57.6mpg. There are 2 long downhills on the way home from church. Usually on the way up, I average about 37mpg. I have seen over 60mpg on the way home too.

Yep, driving around town is the worst mileage you will get with a hybrid, but hers will still be over 35mpg.

I plan on keeping the car til right at the 100k mark. That is what the driveline/battery warranty is from Ford. The only thing I would do differently if I were buying another would be to buy the one that you can plug in and charge too. Those are made to drive 15 miles or so without the gasoline engine even coming on.

MikeyD6

Deleted
Miguel, good to know. I thought the whole point of hybrids was the regenerative braking that charged the battery as you stopped. On the highway you're basically running off of a small gasoline engine. But I digress, good on you for buying KIAs! I work at the KIA plant at West Point, and we work hard to ensure good quality. Its good to know that people are buying them. We don't make any of the hybrids here, but we do make the gasoline Sorentos and Optimas.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
good grief. You got expensive taste in batteries. I am shocked at what they cost now. Even a lawnmower battery now is over $40

Not really. Advance Auto brand. 850 amp. They had one with the gel stuff with 750 amp for over $200

Mason Jar

There's a rifle season in Ga? I reckon when that starts is when all of the "real posts" will be posted?

Latest posts