Politico hates Trump but

Thread starter #1

lampern

President Donald Trump spoke for 40 minutes with three leading senators Wednesday about expanding background checks, keeping alive the Senate’s long-running gun negotiations with the White House for at least one more day.

Trump is expected to be briefed on Thursday by White House officials on his options, according to two GOP officials familiar with the matter. And Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) said that Trump could signal to the Hill what package he could support as soon as Thursday
Politico hates Trump but anyway posting this just because

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/11/senators-trump-background-checks-guns-1489534

“If this is a compromise, it’s going to be a compromise. It’s going to have some Republican ‘no’ votes and some Democratic ‘no’ votes,” Murphy said. “If I end up agreeing to something that’s not … universal background checks, that’s going to be a heavy lift on the democratic side.”

The House has passed a universal background checks bill but the proposal being discussed is narrower, offering more exemptions for friends and family to do gun sales with no background check.

Last edited:
Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.), one of the new senators whom Toomey is courting, said Wednesday he’s willing to advocate to Trump for tighter background checks and red flags and “anything that’s not going to impact a law-abiding citizen.”
This guy thinks somebody is stupid. It ain't me.

The House has passed a universal background checks bill but the proposal being discussed is narrower, offering more exemptions for friends and family to do gun sales with no background check.
Are they going to define friends?

And aren't we all family descended from common ancestors?

Thread starter #13

lampern

I’m not trading anything.

I’m seeing the inevitable.

So are a lot of other posters.

Realize the unfortunate inevitable- gun control will be voted on.

PopPop

I’m not trading anything.

I’m seeing the inevitable.

So are a lot of other posters.

Realize the unfortunate inevitable- gun control will be voted on.
I thought you had suggested telling our reps to go along with the Dems if we could get suppressors loosened up.
Just say no, works for me, tell em that. Neither side can pass any of it without the other.
The Dems would love your deal, they'll say sure, we can do that, let's just take it up separately, keep this Bill clean.
Poof it's gone. You gave your guy cover.

After watching much of the House Judiciary Comm "markup" hearing yesterday, I am NOT feeling confident about these 2A restrictions, NOT at all. Yesterday, Fat Nadler's committee passed to the full House, a bill to confiscate anyone's firearms if just one judge will make an ex parte ruling that the individual MIGHT be a risk to himself of someone else (pre-crime?), a bill to forever deny 2A rights if someone is deemed guilty of a "hate crime" (separate from any other criminal action) (thought crime?), and a bill that will require every transfer, even a temporary loan, of a firearm to undergo a more in depth background check that the current system provides (resulting in a complete halt in gun sales and loans until a new system is up and running) (prior restraint?), and several other nutjob bills.

The full House is certain to approve all of these because the total number of sponsors (around 220 for each) is more than enough for passage.

To make it worse, I read that Trump is talking about "reasonable measures," and McConnell has promised to pass anything Trump will sign.

Our only hope is the Supreme Court - and we need at least one more constitutional jurist before I am at all comfortable there.

Looks like the time for loading up is sooner than I hoped!